Help! I buried a Merc in my yard too deep.

Sonny b

Elite Member
Last night I decided to challenge my detectors. I buried a Merc 9 inches down in my back yard. I swung my AT Pro over it from every direction and it pinged in consistantly at about a 30 iron/foil. It is a clean peice of earth so I know it is reading the dime. The Merc is pretty worn and slick so it would be a challenge for most machines. I ran my Ace 250 over it with the stock coil and it was silent. So I pulled my 10X14 DD Excelerator coil out of my gear bag and put it on the Ace. Same deal, It sees the dime consistantly as iron/foil. Anyone else experienced this? Both machines were set on max sense and showed max depth on their depth charts. To me, this begs the question. Do I dig the thirties that are off the depth charts that I have been passing on? How much silver have I left in the ground waiting for an e trac to come along and vacuum up:lol: Thanks for reading.

Sonny.

Yes Longbeard, I checked the dime from all directions with both detectors. Digging a nine inch hole on every hit is a tall order though.

Does it discriminate out above nickel? If not, I would dig any weak target that repeats above nickel regardless of ID. Number IDs aren't always accurate on deep targets. Especially with Garrett machines.:yes:

I'm curious to see what it comes up on other machines, do you have access to different ones?

All machines have a max depth , weather its
6 , 10 or 12 inches and as you reach max depth
the ID numbers will drop also.
It might get better with more time in the soil.
Try pouring a good salt water mix over it
to help it connect to the soil.

I'm curious to see what it comes up on other machines, do you have access to different ones?

I know a couple guys with a DFX and a V3I. Don't know them well but will shoot an email and see if they would be interested and come having a look. Good idea FB. Thanks

All machines have a max depth , weather its
6 , 10 or 12 inches and as you reach max depth
the ID numbers will drop also.
It might get better with more time in the soil.
Try pouring a good salt water mix over it
to help it connect to the soil.

My plan was to just leave the dime in the ground for at least a year and see if the responses improve. I keep hearing about the hallow effect. Maybe this experiment will add some credence to that. We shall see. Thanks for responding g.

Sonny.

Well that settles it for me.. I'm digging it all..
Same here, AT I have gives me plenty that are off the charts as for depth but low VDI's.. Not taking the chance.. I have been on some sites lately that should have produced but I ignored the the same thing you talk about.. Thanks for the tip..
Sonny

Deep targets will give bad VDI numbers reguardless of detectors. The depth will vary, but all detectors have their limit. I see this all the time on the beach. Deep quarters registering really low. But on a beach we dig it all because it is easy. Digging it all is not feasible in the dirt. But there are clues.
Is this a nice lawn or some place I can dig unnecessary holes?
How old is the site?
How deep is it?
Did you recover old targets at that site before?
How trashy is the site?
Do the numbers look the same from both directios?
Is it a nice tone from all directions?

You will never get them all. Like I said in an earlier post today. Dig a few each time you go there. Then the next time dig a few more.

I have the AT Pro. A very nice detector. Pay more attention with the ears. The ears never lie.

Deep targets will give bad VDI numbers reguardless of detectors. The depth will vary, but all detectors have their limit. I see this all the time on the beach. Deep quarters registering really low. But on a beach we dig it all because it is easy. Digging it all is not feasible in the dirt. But there are clues.
Is this a nice lawn or some place I can dig unnecessary holes?
How old is the site?
How deep is it?
Did you recover old targets at that site before?
How trashy is the site?
Do the numbers look the same from both directios?
Is it a nice tone from all directions?

You will never get them all. Like I said in an earlier post today. Dig a few each time you go there. Then the next time dig a few more.

I have the AT Pro. A very nice detector. Pay more attention with the ears. The ears never lie.

Nice response Goodmore, there are places where you can hack up the ground and it doesn't matter, and then there are places that you cannot leave a trace that you have been there. It all has to do with making good choices with your machine, where you hunt, what you are hunting for etc...

if you pour about 5 gallons of water of it, it will help pack the soil, getting rid of air pockets and you will have a better chance at picking it up

detecting

What's your ground mineralization like? Plus it's freshly buried, you won't get a good signal on a deep freshly buried coin. With my Etrac in my fresh test garden, my deeper coins at even 7" or more will not read as expected and even some come in showing as iron, and yes this area was scanned with a wide open screen showing nothing prior to burying the coins.

What's your ground mineralization like? Plus it's freshly buried, you won't get a good signal on a deep freshly buried coin. With my Etrac in my fresh test garden, my deeper coins at even 7" or more will not read as expected and even some come in showing as iron, and yes this area was scanned with a wide open screen showing nothing prior to burying the coins.

I did a ground balance on the AT prior to burying the coin. After raising and lowering the coil about five times it rested on a 62. I might also mention that the ground is very moist right now after a recent rain. I know from experience around here that the dryer the ground the less depth I get with my detectors. I am going to monitor the spot each day and see how the drying effects my ability to see the dime. I buried another merc in my front yard at 8 inches and got the same results. This has been a good learning experience and I appreciate all the comments and ideas from you guys.

This is exactly why I sold my TID machines and bought 3 Tesoros with out screens. I too had an Ace250 and a nicer bounty hunter, as well as a delta 4000.

I did not dig the signals which bounced or did not repeat that well. After running with the tesoros I dig most all decent sounds over iron. 11 rings this summer can't be wrong.

Like others have said use your ears..let them be your guide.

I would most likely hear a very soft beep maybe not even repeatable with my detetector, which would tell me its deep and or small.

Mike

Deep targets will give bad VDI numbers reguardless of detectors.

Pay more attention with the ears. The ears never lie.

Yep ALL VID detectors lie on deep targets and can't tell gold from trash. All my deep silver coins that I found did not ID correctly on my VID machines. If I relied on them to tell me what's buried I would have left a lot of silver in the ground. A person would do just as well or better using a Tesoro Vaquero on deep silver coins and they would find more gold rings as well. However, the VID machines do excel at finding shallow clad coins and pennies.

beephead

Back
Top Bottom