Hunting with Camera Today...

jwp1964

Forum Supporter
Got out to one of my favorite destinations today for some photos and a little light hiking. Deer were everywhere this morning. Saw some late season rut action and saw a frisky little Button Buck learn a lesson (photo 3&4). Saw first buck to drop his antlers as well. Even Mr Tom made an appearance. It was chilly, but a good day in the outdoors always recharges the batteries.

Last edited:
Neat photos, thanks for sharing ! (you could make a picture postcard from that stream photo !)

We don't have to go find deer, on most days (evenings) they come in our yard sometimes within 10 feet of our house, from a few to 5 to 7 and once in a while as many as 10 or more walking thru our yard !

Your photo reminded me I took a photo from my back window a few days ago of a large bird (vulture ?) perched atop the light pole in our back yard. It had a very interesting pose, and it kept that pose for a while. .....maybe that pose meant something to the other birds :?:

Edit: Update: I found online what that pose likely is for, here is the quote "In the early mornings, vultures often will sit with their wings spread wide, increasing the surface area of their bodies so that the sun can more easily warm them. This is called the “horaltic pose”." (I think it was late afternoon when I took this photo though) (Seems it is some kind of vulture)

I was alerted to it by our dog barking at it after seeing it herself thru the back sliding glass door window :lol:

largebirdpose.jpg

Last edited:
That's a turkey buzzard I think on that telephone pole.Too big to be a chicken hawk.Cool pic.

And those deer are awesome jwp,that's better than finding gold to be able to get those pictures.well,maybe silver anyhow.lol

That's a turkey buzzard I think on that telephone pole.Too big to be a chicken hawk.Cool pic.

And those deer are awesome jwp,that's better than finding gold to be able to get those pictures.well,maybe silver anyhow.lol

Thanks, you got me searching online to see for sure, from what I found I'll have to watch and see later what color the underside feathers are like because here is some info I found online -

Black vs. Turkey Vultures

Black Vultures have black plumage, bare black heads, and white patches under their primary feathers.

Mature Turkey Vultures have dark plumage and featherless red heads; the undersides of the flight feathers are paler. An immature Turkey Vulture’s head is dark gray.

When trying to identify a Black Vulture from a Turkey Vulture while on the wing (in flight), one may do so by looking at the underside of the bird’s wings. A Turkey Vulture’s wings will be largely silvery-white underneath, while the Black Vulture only has small patches of white at the tip.

Unlike most bird species, Turkey Vultures rely on their sense of smell to find prey. Black Vultures rely on sight.

(from what I saw so far it seems it might likely be a Black Vulture, especially since the head in that photo looks black even though it's fairly distant)

Anyhow, I hope the OP don't think I'm hijacking his thread, just wanted to respond to a posters response :D

Great shots! What camera and lense are you using?

It's an old Panasonic Lumix FZ-40. Great camera for the money. Got this one used on eBay. Given the type of photography I do I went back to Super Zooms and sold my DSLR Equipment. I can tweak the photos with my Mac Photos App.

Neat photos, thanks for sharing ! (you could make a picture postcard from that stream photo !)

We don't have to go find deer, on most days (evenings) they come in our yard sometimes within 10 feet of our house, from a few to 5 to 7 and once in a while as many as 10 or more walking thru our yard !

Your photo reminded me I took a photo from my back window a few days ago of a large bird (vulture ?) perched atop the light pole in our back yard. It had a very interesting pose, and it kept that pose for a while. .....maybe that pose meant something to the other birds :?:

Edit: Update: I found online what that pose likely is for, here is the quote "In the early mornings, vultures often will sit with their wings spread wide, increasing the surface area of their bodies so that the sun can more easily warm them. This is called the “horaltic pose”." (I think it was late afternoon when I took this photo though) (Seems it is some kind of vulture)

I was alerted to it by our dog barking at it after seeing it herself thru the back sliding glass door window :lol:

Thanks GKL.

Lol, Thanks wb.

I agree, great pictures. Look forward to seeing more down the line.

Thanks Grasshopper.

Cool pic's , that's a hunt I really enjoy , out with all the wildlife . HH

Cool pic's , that's a hunt I really enjoy , out with all the wildlife . HH

Thanks Ricki. Looking for a new 3 wt fly rod so I can get back into fly fishing again. That should lead to some great pics...

Back
Top Bottom