Staying at Grandma's house...

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and

Attachments

• photostudio_1485451432447.jpg
    photostudio_1485451432447.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 584
I always mowed her yard as a kid. I usually got a couple of dollars, plateful of French fries, all of whatever desserts were on hand. One evening, after mowing, Grandad had me to clean the grass from under the mower and handed me $4. We were out of Grandma's sight so he said not to tell her. I nodded. At the table was the usual feast- but when Grandad left the room, she handed me $4 and told me not to tell him. Of course, I kept my word.:cool:

When I was a kid my grampa would see me watching cartoons in the morning and tell me I was "burning a hole in daylight". Grampa passed over 10 years ago but I wonder what his thoughts would be on cellphones, tablet and so on.

When I was a kid my grampa would see me watching cartoons in the morning and tell me I was "burning a hole in daylight". Grampa passed over 10 years ago but I wonder what his thoughts would be on cellphones, tablet and so on.

Its amazing to think about Huh Remmy?...Most of our Grandparents went from the Stone age into the Space age in their lifetime...Who here knows how to saddle a horse let alone work a mule team on a doubletree? We take what we got for granted...I remember a lot of stuff from when I was a kid...watching my Grand Parents and relatives deal with things..sheesh..we really got it easy. A damn guy cant hardly find a square bale anymore, let alone a kid that can lift one...
Mud

Wow! You guys had great grandparents. Mine made me learn to sew, cook, knit, weed a garden, thin the carrots and beets, cut asparagus, cut wood with a handsaw, sharpen a handsaw, walk a slack wire, shoot and take care of a gun, fish, clean horn pout without a knife, sharpen a knife, etc . . . ahhh, I guess they weren't that bad after all. :D

Hey Mud-puppy, I want to see them throw a bale off the top tier of the wagon onto the first landing in the barn or pile a wagon on a side hill. :laughing:

Wow! You guys had great grandparents. Mine made me learn to sew, cook, knit, weed a garden, thin the carrots and beets, cut asparagus, cut wood with a handsaw, sharpen a handsaw, walk a slack wire, shoot and take care of a gun, fish, clean horn pout without a knife, sharpen a knife, etc . . . ahhh, I guess they weren't that bad after all. :D

Hey Mud-puppy, I want to see them throw a bale off the top tier of the wagon onto the first landing in the barn or pile a wagon on a side hill. :laughing:

Well yeah...I thought this was taken for granted! Everybody learned how to sharpen a knife and clean a hornpout from our Grandparents right? Like when we were about five?

I remember, my Granddad telling me, back in the Depression, his Momma would take eggs into town to trade for necessaries..Every Oct, he was given 3 .22 shells and expected to pole his boat up the river, slide hisself out into the swamp, find a game trail cross over, and kill a deer with each of those .22 rounds!..Granddad told me, "Son,To be a success in Life, all you gotta learn is shot placement, sitting quiet, and timing..Just like Church!"...Sharpening a knife and hornpout procurement came in secondary...You had some good training though FFGrizz, several steps up from the norm..not many hornpouters can weed a garden or darn a sock, let alone knit!
Mud.

Ya well, when gramps wasn't there to escape to the woodshop with and it was raining or snowing out side, gram used two lines on me, "I'm not sending you home with a cold to your mother!" and "You'll thank me in the future . . ." you just go with the flow. :shrug: She was right, of course.

Memories that bring a tear

Watching Grandpa milk by hand and sending a squirt at the cat.

Fresh baked bread and cookies from the wood stove. The best you ever tasted.

Cream separator spinning and sounding like some kind of UFO.

Dog named Pal, our best buddy.

Picking beans with the itinerants.

Riding in the wagon behind the old John Deere on the way to the wood lot.

Grandma calling my bicycle a "wheel".

Riding into town in the Henry J

A "cleansing"... no thanks Grandma!!!!!

Thanks for starting this thread

Tom

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom