excal shaft question?

melbajoe

Forum Supporter
I just picked up a used excal II that came with a stock shaft. No question its a lousy design not to mention the foam on the handle slides around when wet. Even when using a hip mount I find it uncomfortable. My question is twofold- first which style is recomended the long straight shaft with the pod behind the elbow or the over under style. Second down the line I want to get the pinpoint switch mounted on the grip and didn't know how that works regarding the styles of shaft and /or it has enough slack to be able to hip mount the pod? thanks in advance for any input. Joe

Go with the Anderson straight shaft Hip mounting the pod is bad for the cables. Pinpoint mod can be done at Kellyco

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• Excal Blue 1000 on Plugger carbon fiber 001.JPG
    Excal Blue 1000 on Plugger carbon fiber 001.JPG
    157.3 KB · Views: 219
  • Excal Blue 1000 on Plugger carbon fiber 004.JPG
    Excal Blue 1000 on Plugger carbon fiber 004.JPG
    159.3 KB · Views: 236
Don't recommend using a waist mount on the excal, it causes shorts in the cables going into the housing from the constant flexing of the cables. Straight shaft is the way to go...

Its going to be a matter of preference. I tried the under the elbow and while I like the look better it was still not balanced very well. The behind the elbow is 100% better for me. If I were diving I would get the under the elbow though.

I really like the plugger shafts better than anderson but again its all your preference. You can easily make one for $30. Here is a blog post about how I made my straight shaft and there are tons of others online: http://detectinggold.blogspot.com/2016/07/how-to-make-straight-shaft-for.html

And as treasure hunter said, dont hip/chest mount it.

The mods need to be done by kellyco and it worth it to get them. Get new headphones too in addition the PP mod.

I make mine...... but I like Bills (plugger) especially the locks. I have my pods 4" behind the cuff to keep the pods out of the water most if the time. Salt water takes its tole on all the parts.

I have the pods mounted under the elbow, i found out that having the pods back behind me was a very strange setup, but to each his own...

Pods behind the elbow are great. It lifts the coil a little bit off the ground which is perfect for swinging. There is little effort in lifting the weight. The only thing that I hate about pods behind the elbow is getting the long @&^% in the car.

thanks for all the input everyone. Ended up ordering the 3 piece travel shaft by plugger- just the setup in low tide's post. I did cheap out a little as I got the aluminum vs carbon fiber shafts. I agree in that I like the under elbow look better but seems the majority prefer the behind elbow mount- hopefully I'll like it also. Joe

What goodmore said is also important and one more reason i do not run my in the way back, the machine gets too long to lay down across the back seat in the car, or even in a truck...

I have the Plunger balanced straight shaft in aluminum. It is imperative that you clean the inside of the aluminum shaft after each use as the sand will cause the shaft to seize up. After a number of uses I will use a 12ga shotgun cleaning brush and rod to thoroughly clean the inside of the shaft

Back
Top Bottom