Old Cellar Holes, New Survey Markers... Update W/ pics

Check out what he scraped up....

You said

"A local contractor I know well, was finishing loading the top foot of soil he just scraped up from the site!".

If you know the contractor, find out where he dumped the soil that he scraped up. I have hunted areas where dirt related to new construction at some old sites was dumped, and found a few nice coins.....

HH, Dave.........

Hey AZ, I did ask him where he was dumping the soil, and he told me on another local guy's land. I know that guy as well, shouldn't b a prob.
I actually tried detecting some of the soil pile that was left, as he was loading. But it seemed like everything was a jumbled mess. Really, the soil was surprisingly free of debris for just being a demolition. but still no rhyme or reason to the soil.
I should have been there a couple days ago, but the lot has been MUD from tons of rain, and I had to work... things just dried up a bit, and whamo, all gone. Several of the buildings were set back from the side walk, and had wooden decks on the front, soil under them. That is where I wanted to hit. But the soil was dug away.
The side walk is still there, but is old concrete slabs, they must b tearing them up sometime.
Contractor said he found a news paper from 1902 under one of the buildings when he knocked it down. There were pieces of old glass showing. Several spots looked like possible privys, I wanted to ask the guy to take a big scoop w/ the excavator in one of the ash/ dark soil areas. One of his employees found many many old bottles when digging across the street. Some of which turned out worth a few $.
It makes me wonder what I watched get trucked away in that dark old dirt... :?:

rimfire shell,nice find! years ago ,22's were not the only rimfire rounds. can't really tell the caliber from the pics though.

Back
Top Bottom