Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   River Team 6 Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > What's the Value?

Old 08-28-2019, 03:23 PM

Default Starting to value on the right foot... equipment

Hi!

Im looking for info on equipment to start valuing mostly jewelry. Things I've thought of were a scale, acid test kit, and diamond tester. What equipment do you use, what other steps do you take, and what else would you recommend?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Old 08-28-2019, 08:17 PM
Supporter

Counterfeit metals. I recommend an XRF analyzer. All the top buyers use one. They arenít cheap starting at several thousand.

Last edited by amc rulz; 08-29-2019 at 07:12 AM.

Old 08-28-2019, 10:26 PM
Elite Member

Diamond testers will call some stones that are not diamonds as being real diamonds. I Found a beautiful 14k ring with a very nice size main stone that tested as a diamond on my machine. Took it to a jewelry store and the young lady tested it and proclaimed it to be a diamond of very good quality.

I was in another state and had a jeweler look at it. He studied it, tested it, studied it some more and then tested it for Mossianite. And it tested positive. I later had a gia gemologist check it and she said Mossianite.

If you dont have one a decent loupe is invaluable especially when looking for a halmark in a worn ring.

Old 08-29-2019, 10:55 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by georgeinsc View post
Diamond testers will call some stones that are not diamonds as being real diamonds. I Found a beautiful 14k ring with a very nice size main stone that tested as a diamond on my machine. Took it to a jewelry store and the young lady tested it and proclaimed it to be a diamond of very good quality.

I was in another state and had a jeweler look at it. He studied it, tested it, studied it some more and then tested it for Mossianite. And it tested positive. I later had a gia gemologist check it and she said Mossianite.

If you dont have one a decent loupe is invaluable especially when looking for a halmark in a worn ring.

I'd take it back to that first jewelry store and sell it

Not really...I still have to look myself in the mirror in the morning.

I second having a loupe...it's great for out in the field to check dates on coins and hallmarks on jewelry.