Restored Excalibur 800

Saltshaker

Forum Supporter
Thought I would share this here in case anyone was interested in some modding inspiration.
So I received this old blue excal 800 from a friend of mine that was in pretty bad shape. The coil and headphones were trashed but it was my first excalibur so I was up for a challenge to having a fully modded unit. I took it all apart and this is what I did:

-Coil swap mod with new slimline 8" and 10" coils from an excal II
-Remote PP mod with push button switch
-Custom built detachable waterproof headphones. I call them the PB7's
-New orings and silica packs
-Converted recharge pack to alkaline
-New knobs, Plugger shaft and custom decals.

So far it runs good. Thanks to OBN for the part and inspiration.

Attachments

• excal1.jpg
    excal1.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 652
  • excal2.jpg
    excal2.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 678
  • excal3.jpg
    excal3.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 765
  • excal4.jpg
    excal4.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 665
  • excal5.jpg
    excal5.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 586
I also ended up having to build another for my friend that I got the original from. He got a bit jealous so I felt a little obligated but we hunt together so I didnt mind.
PM me for link to custom decal pack if youre interested in printing your own.

Attachments

• 2ndexcal1.jpg
    2ndexcal1.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 735
  • samplepack.jpg
    samplepack.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 675
nice work!!
I've been watching CL & classifieds for one that needs work or is a good price that I can do the mods on myself. Not ready to try it on my working 1000 just yet....
how about a breakdown on parts as to how much you got into it?
DL

nice work!!
I've been watching CL & classifieds for one that needs work or is a good price that I can do the mods on myself. Not ready to try it on my working 1000 just yet....
how about a breakdown on parts as to how much you got into it?
DL

All said and done I think I paid around 550-600 for everything. Got the excal super cheap and bought two lightly used slimline coils, then built the headphones from scratch. Plus the new plugger carbon shaft and misc. parts.
Knowing what I know now, I could make it a little cheaper but regardless thats a really good deal for a full rebuild. With something already complete wouldnt cost as much to mod...the most expensive thing is getting extra coils.
I dont have a parts list off hand, but hit me up via PM if you want one and I'll see if I can put one together.

Dude that awesome! Way to go. I plan to mod mine this winter but I will probably do it at kellyco. I would love to get one on the cheap and try it myself though. Great work!

Tell you that is one of the nicest Mod jobs I've seen on the Excalibur .........X-2Great work!!

Very nice. Kudos to you. :thumbsup: Wish I had the skill... Last time I soldered anything was 40 years ago.

Wow... 19 posts since 2014. You're burnin up the forum now! :laughing: as long as the posts are as good as this...

Raider Regards,

R5

Yeah... Saw that a few weeks back. :laughing:

You gotta admit, this modded Excal looks sssweeeeet. Seems the Saltshaker has spent more time modding than posting. Hmmm maybe if I spent a little more time hunting... :laughing:

R5

It looks awesome!

Hard to say..

He might have a pile of loot that would blow our minds..

I'm sure there are a few on here that keep tight lipped on the loot they are pulling...

I hope that's the case for Mr. Saltshaker...

<°)))>{

It looks awesome!

Hard to say..

He might have a pile of loot that would blow our minds..

I'm sure there are a few on here that keep tight lipped on the loot they are pulling...

I hope that's the case for Mr. Saltshaker...

<°)))>{

I wish I had a pile of loot. But sadly that is not the case. I don't get out very often unfortunately these days...I used to but nowadays, I have little time with the job, wife and life in general, I have to carefully choose my detecting time otherwise there's problems. Thus I dont post that much either, although I do like to share when I can so hopefully what I may post in my limited time is helpful.
HH

I wish I had a pile of loot. But sadly that is not the case. I don't get out very often unfortunately these days...I used to but nowadays, I have little time with the job, wife and life in general, I have to carefully choose my detecting time otherwise there's problems. Thus I dont post that much either, although I do like to share when I can so hopefully what I may post in my limited time is helpful.
HH

Right there with you, save for the awesome xcal you've got there (nice going!).

Back
Top Bottom