ENDED GetDiggin's Find of the Month! (October)

GetDiggin

Forum Supporter
Hello Everybody!

Winter is coming FAST! For a lot of us October very well might be our last hunting month of the year, so I want everyone to go out and have a awesome month and find some amazing items. Like the contest states, this contest is for 'The Find of the Month!', this will be determined by Cool Factor, Uniqueness, Rarity, & Possibly Value IE: if you find some goofy thing, and you can prove without a shadow of doubt that its worth $3,000 or something, then that would be rad! Lol.

Also, I am going to bring in two other judges! If you would like to be a Judge please send me a PM, and note if you do become a judge then you will obviously NOT be eligible to take part in the contest. I will update this post with the other two Judges names so everyone will know the judge positions are filled.

Judges:
1) GetDiggin
2) NectarDetector
3) Stunmi

Contest will run from: 10/01/2015 - 10/31/2015

Prizes:

• 1st = 15" Bowie Knife (I will give the winner several to choose from)

• 2nd = Smaller Fixed Blade Knife (I will give the winner several to choose from)

• 3rd = Folding Knife (I will give the winner several to choose from)

Posts: You can post ONE photo per week, so four photos in total per person throughout the month. Please let us know where you found your item (US State is fine), what detector you used, and obviously the picture of your item. If you want to give more information about your item, that would be great too.

Please note that since I am giving away knives that I want all participants to be 18+ years of age or have a parents consent to take part. FMDF & Myself will not be held responsible if you choose to not follow this rule! Also, this contest is unfortunately only open to members from the United States, unless you 1) want to forfeit your prize 2) want your prize shipped somewhere in the USA or 3) you want to cover shipping overseas.

Thanks All!
Rich aka GetDiggin

Last edited:
I'll bite...

12079052_10156102228005635_3511487445216846744_n.jpg

It's an antique locking gas cap from the 1940's. It was beneath the fill dirt layer that was put in over 15 years ago (and maybe longer) to build the park I was hunting in. It was so deep I was past my elbow into the hole to be able to touch it. Found by my E-Trac (with a reading of 5/44 and the depth scale was bottomed out) in Panama City Beach Florida in a little neighborhood park about 300 yards from the Gulf of Mexico.

Calm down ND...

Read what I said again. .. I said get your finds posted you never know what could win

Not ....you never know what YOU WILL win....:lol:

So SOLLLY... me no have enough coffee yet! Just trying to keep the thread alive...

If you found it on a "hunt" then feel free to post it, if you found it at a flea market don't post it lol. I don't know about CRH, I guess it would count if thats what you do for excitement, but if it was a random coin roll find then I don't think it would count. Basically I wanna see find that people are going out and trying to find something. So if you go out for fun and CRH then feel free to post a cool coin you found, etc.

If you found it on a "hunt" then feel free to post it, if you found it at a flea market don't post it lol. I don't know about CRH, I guess it would count if thats what you do for excitement, but if it was a random coin roll find then I don't think it would count. Basically I wanna see find that people are going out and trying to find something. So if you go out for fun and CRH then feel free to post a cool coin you found, etc.

Do rocks count? cause thats the only thing i found this year due to lack of permissions :mad:

Odds are looking pretty good so far, here is my first post.

Attachments

• 10-6-15 SAFE lock.jpg
    10-6-15 SAFE lock.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 502
my entry ....semi old buckle

Well, I know the month is young yet, but I will throw this little guy in the ring.
I dug this up on 10/2 ? I think.....
It was from a park where we have pulled some 1800s stuff.

From what I can dig up online I see that the Hickok buckle company was formed in 1909 in Rochester NY on Water street.
After the passing of the founder the two sons created the Hickok best pro athlete award belt as tribute to their father.
They had big awards ceremonies every year in Rochester to present the award.
Recipients include Muhammad Ali , OJ Simpson, Pete Rose, Phil Rizzuto, Willie Mays, Mickey Mantle, ..........
I haven't yet got an exact date on this particular buckle, but the similar ones on Ebay are saying 1920s.......
I found this one with my CTX3030. It was around 11 inches deep and under two brutal roots I just had to cut....I almost let it go cus I had just dug 3 pieces of aluminum antenna earlier, but they were not quite that deep.

Attachments

• CM151002-18450205-1.jpg
    CM151002-18450205-1.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 801
  • CM151002-18454107-1.jpg
    CM151002-18454107-1.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 549
  • buckle with dirt.jpg
    buckle with dirt.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 469
Took my kids to a historic park ( no MDs allowed )to check out the ruins of some 1800's glass factories. My 6 year old found this laying on the ground and when I told her she couldn't keep it and to put it back where she found it she started to cry. She wanted to keep her "tresure"! So we went to the ranger station to ask what it was and if we could keep it. The ranger was so awesome...he explained it was a by-product from making glass. He told us it was at least 150 years old and it's called glass slag. He also told my daughter she could keep it.

Attachments

• 20140627_153241.jpg
    20140627_153241.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 453
So few replies? Come on! Contests are great! I'll join then, but if I win (who knows?) I'll forfeit the prize (I already have my favourite knife which means a lot to me).

I've found the thing I'd like to present here few days ago on a pasture where in first half of XIXth cenury was a large farm. There was also a road, one of the main around here at that time, connecting two neighbouring villages. In 1806 somewhere around this farm was marching the army of Napoleon Bonaparte and on December 26th, 1806 - French emperor himself spent a night in nearby village. I went to check this pasture to find coins from late XVIIIth/early XIXth century and I managed to find few of them (two silvers - Prussian 1/24 thaler 1783 and 10 groszy 1818) but I did not expect I'll find this beauty:

IMG_8767.jpg

It's the large button of French Imperial Guard of Napoleon Bonaparte. They were considered an elite unit in the French army.
At Waterloo Napoleon ordered his Imperial Guard to join the fight at the end, hoping that it would turn the tide of the battle. Outnumbered, they instead began to retreat and some of them even flee. Old guard (the best of the best) maintained defensive formation and covered the retreat of others. When British and Prussian commanders demanded their surrender, one of the generals of the Imperial Guard allegedly replied "La Garde meurt, elle ne se rend pas!" - "The Guard dies, it does not surrender!". Few moments later they were annihilated.
Elite soldiers, fighting to the bitter end. And that's why this button already became one of my most precious finds.

Back
Top Bottom