Garrett Ace 150?

Uzz

Hello everyone,
I am going to get myself a metal detector to start a new hobby.
I live near a beach and would like to detect there mostly.
I have had a look about and have decided to go for a Garrett 150 as it looks Ok for me at a reasonable price for a decent starter detector that is a bit more than a toy.
what I would like to know is;
How will the wet sand/stones affect the readings?
Can I overcome this with the controls?
Is the coil waterproof?

If there is a model that would be better for me then any help or info would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave.

I really dont think you can hunt wet sand without a machine that can ground balance. Even the AT pro can struggles sometimes in that real black wet sand.

Dry sand it should do fine.

I think that you would end up frustrated trying to hunt low tide beaches with the 150. But other than that its a great machine.

Have you looked at the Compadre? I have both and I don't know how either works at the beach, but the Compadre out does the ACE 150 here. Both about the same price. joe

I like that your not just jumping in and getting a high end MD , you may want to look for a used higher end Md that fits the area's you will be hunting .
Welcome from Buffalo NY , HH

I'm not an expert or anything (that's for sure) but my first detector was the Ace 350. From what I've read, the wet sand has salt water which is a conductor and will make the machine go crazy. I heard that it is fine on the dry sand. The coil will be fine in water, but if you get the control box wet ... well it could ruin your day. The Ace series are good machines and not like you say, "toys". Good luck and enjoy the hunt!

Fresh or salt water beaches? (it matters!)

Yes the coils will be waterpruf, but if you drop or splash water in the control box it can get damaged!

Welcome to the forum from snowy Western NY :welcome2:

:snowballfight::snowtruck::snowshovel:

Smart to start slow and test the water. I started with an Ace 250 and used it at the beach and found a lot with it. I now have 9 machines but those 250s still see use because they are so much fun.

Now to your question. Few detectors can actually handle wet saltwater sand and / or water. The 150 won't. You will be restricted to the dry sand but you will find plenty of targets. And of course inland you will be good. A friend of mine on his second hunt with his 250 found a beautiful 1876 $20 gold coin. If I hadn't held it, I wouldn't have believed it.

Smart to start slow and test the water. I started with an Ace 250 and used it at the beach and found a lot with it. I now have 9 machines but those 250s still see use because they are so much fun.

Now to your question. Few detectors can actually handle wet saltwater sand and / or water. The 150 won't. You will be restricted to the dry sand but you will find plenty of targets. And of course inland you will be good. A friend of mine on his second hunt with his 250 found a beautiful 1876 $20 gold coin. If I hadn't held it, I wouldn't have believed it.

Wow talk about lucky! I have an Ace 300 and for the price it has impressed the heck out of me!

Back
Top Bottom