Pro pointer erratic behavior...*UPDATE from Garrett.*

Bonesquat

Elite Member
So I sent off my old pro pointer to get repaired since the button is messed up. Garrett is SLOW about returning items. I sent it off weeks ago and still haven't gotten my PP back.

So this one I bought from a forum member a few weeks ago is now acting even worse than my old one!! It's beeping erratically even when there's no metal nearby. A perfectly good relic hunt was ruined today because of it.

Good to know!

I had an issue with mine last week...and it is new. Beeping like crazy...which made me dig like crazy...for nothing! Nothing was there! I ran my Ace 250 over the same spot...no signal. Took the Propointer over it again and it was silent.

I blamed it on magnetic waves coming from the center of the earth...:lol:

Good to know!

I had an issue with mine last week...and it is new. Beeping like crazy...which made me dig like crazy...for nothing! Nothing was there! I ran my Ace 250 over the same spot...no signal. Took the Propointer over it again and it was silent.

Might as well blame it on something. :lol:

I'm starting to wonder about Garrett... This is the second PP that's been giving me problems.

So I sent off my old pro pointer to get repaired since the button is messed up. Garrett is SLOW about returning items. I sent it off weeks ago and still haven't gotten my PP back.

So this one I bought from a forum member a few weeks ago is now acting even worse than my old one!! It's beeping erratically even when there's no metal nearby. A perfectly good relic hunt was ruined today because of it.

I'm sick of the crappy pro pointer! :mad:

Why this product pp?
He only you hold down
Learn to work without it
Do YOU HAVE PIN DEVICE
You have to understand - which lie coin - and hands it to find
It is convenient

I do not have, pinpoint the device
But I do not need - I quickly find the target 98%

When you dig deep targets and have multiple items in the hole a pin pointer can really speed things up. My detector is too heavy to do what I used to before a pin pointer.

When you dig deep targets and have multiple items in the hole a pin pointer can really speed things up. My detector is too heavy to do what I used to before a pin pointer.

I already feel
If the full scale - but the goal is not visible - then in the land of big deep Garbage 95%. And I check the volume of metal to pinpoint
It's elementary
Maybe sometimes pin point-useful
But I have it just noise

I already feel
If the full scale - but the goal is not visible - then in the land of big deep Garbage 95%. And I check the volume of metal to pinpoint
It's elementary
Maybe sometimes pin point-useful
But I have it just noise

I did not have a pin pointer at first - but it's much easier when you use one. If you get one, try it out. You'll not want to hunt without it. :)

Just call Garretts during the day....they'll look up the status of your ProPointer and let you know what's next. I called them Thursday about mine...and they looked up my claim...and then told me they already shipped a new one to my address....and it was going to be delivered the same day as I was calling according to the tracking! When I got home from work....there it was...!:D

So, don't complain...call them...then complain. Mine took about 3 weeks from when I shipped until it came back.

Good Luck!

Just call Garretts during the day....they'll look up the status of your ProPointer and let you know what's next. I called them Thursday about mine...and they looked up my claim...and then told me they already shipped a new one to my address....and it was going to be delivered the same day as I was calling according to the tracking! When I got home from work....there it was...!:D

So, don't complain...call them...then complain. Mine took about 3 weeks from when I shipped until it came back.

Good Luck!

Thanks - I'm moreso complaining about 2 PP's malfunctioning...

:oldguy:SouthWind, the interference you were getting was from those big sunspots the sun has been sending to us lately. JMHO :tiphat:

PS - notice, this is post #400 !

Last edited:
i know if i get my PPer too close to the coil on my detector, it will act up and beep erratically. so, i'll give them a bit of distance from each other (couple of feet), turn it off and back on and it works fine. occasionally i do get erratic beeping for no obvious reason, but again.... off and back on.
i would much sooner have it mis-behave a little bit than to hunt without it at all. :yes:
how's your battery connection? is that little piece of foam in the battery cover getting too squashed? some PPers will act up and act weird if the batt connection isn't tight enough and a simple remedy for that is just a "filler" in the batt compartment. some people will put a penny or a quarter in there to take up the slack and give things a snug fit. ;)

Pete

I'm sick of the crappy pro pointer! :mad:

I got mine back in 7-10 days, but then I called and talked to them first and the guy said to include a note saying that I talked to him, so whoever opened it there could just verify that we troubleshot it on the phone and just send me a brand new one. My experience was great, and the break was my fault for opening it.

They break eventually, but are a heck of a lot better than 90% of the other models. I still want a Sunay X-1.

Good to know!

The propointer will actually detect smaller objects that a lot of detectors will not. It could have been a pin, nail fragment, etc in the dirt, or the dirt itself. The dirt around here is so mineralized that sometimes a clump of it will set off the propointer. Spread it out and it will not detect anything.

I know the quarter in the cap trick. That was a problem with my last one. I'm VERY familiar with the PP. It's not little pieces of stuff in the soil either because I can hold it up in the air and it'll go off like nuts and gradually increase in intensity even though there's nothing but oxygen around it. And I don't wear rings or jewelry either.

Like I said, it's defective and needs to be replaced or fixed.

I have two of the PP's...and they work great...I wouldn't leave home without it...like the American Express commercial...LOL.......Is the battery low, cuz they will trip out when the battery is low....I know if you push on them too hard they will start to beep....but mine are good to go.....love them ......:cool:

I have two of the PP's...and they work great...I wouldn't leave home without it...like the American Express commercial...LOL.......Is the battery low, cuz they will trip out when the battery is low....I know if you push on them too hard they will start to beep....but mine are good to go.....love them ......:cool:

Troubleshooted it as far as I'm willing to go. I know of all the symptoms you're talking about - doesn't suffer from any. I turn it on like normal and it beeps like crazy intermittently in the air or on the ground. I changed batteries, tried everything I could think of. Also the depth is horrible. On my other PP I could get 3 inches or so on a quarter, this will only go about an inch on a half dollar! Makes no sense.

Right....sounds like a bad couple i guess....have they been dropped? Or maybe they were a "B" stock where ya bought them...not sure.....Where did you purchase.....New Used? If they are like this...then that is odd.....Hope you get them to fix these up....!

Back
Top Bottom