Oldest coin and a first, buttons and a sort of whatzit

upstatedigger

Forum Supporter
Well it was button day here in the pasture. I had located this site in the pasture last week, and knew I would be coming back. Today was the day I could back back here, and I sure wasn't disappointed.
For starters , I only dig 4 nails and a piece of copper flashing, in a site that is full of nails. So I feel like I am starting to get a grip on hunting in 1 tone, disc 6 on the F75 (Thanks Digger 27). The sweet zone seemed to be 6-7 inches, which is where all these came from, and 2 of them had nails in with them. .
Started finding buttons, got the three of them first, so the fourth I thought was a button too. But them I noticed it looked more like a coin, just a little odd sized. I thought I could see something on it, but didn't want to mess with it till I got home. I was hoping it might be a 2 center, but either way knew it was something good. After the buttons came the coin, the hook thingy, hammer to a cap gun, and spoon. The two buttons not pictured were one pice flat, one with intact shank.
Got home, washed them all up, and confirmed it was a coin, but nothing I had really seen before. After a bit more soap and water, saw the date, bust, Britanniar, did a quick google search and learned I had dug an 1825 British penny (farthing?). This is my oldest coin to date, beating my 1862 IH that I had dug from the other end of this field last year. I am amazed , and wonder how it got there.

Couple questions I have...anybody have any idea ion the eagle button? Its a one piece, missing shank and says "Imperial Standard " on the back.

Also, the sort of whatzit, is the hook thing...I know its a hook, but it seems like I have seen these turn up in a lot of the war relic guys threads....some sort of belt hook or something, or maybe I am just imagining that it looks familiar. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I ll be back to this set, lots more ground here, and probably going to hit it with the 6.5 in coil next time.

Thanks for looking
Scott

Attachments

• photo 1-3.jpg
    photo 1-3.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 403
  • photo 2-3.jpg
    photo 2-3.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 401
  • photo 2-2.jpg
    photo 2-2.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 404
  • photo-67.jpg
    photo-67.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 402
  • photo 1-2.jpg
    photo 1-2.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 393
  • photo-70.jpg
    photo-70.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 385
  • photo-69.jpg
    photo-69.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 389
  • photo-68.jpg
    photo-68.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 393
Great finds, that button is beautiful! The whatsit is a sword hanger.:yes: congrats!!

Awesome! Thanks for the ID! Any idea on the age?

I am still kind of in shock.....my oldest coin, militia button, flat buttons and sword hanger.

This is unusual stuff for me. Usually my posts run something like how old is this horseshoe:laughing:
I am going to try to clean that coin up a bit a will hopefully post a pic later
What a great day!

Somewhat cleaned up 1825 farthing and reverse side of sword hanger detail.

Attachments

• photo 1-4.JPG
    photo 1-4.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 318
  • photo 3-2.JPG
    photo 3-2.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 317
  • photo 2-4.JPG
    photo 2-4.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 316
Fantastic finds! :clap:

I think that I'd pound that area for all it's worth. :yes:

You can count on it! Next time with the little coil! This is one of 9 homesites where workers in mills that were active in the late 1700's through the 1800's lived. The homes are all long gone under field and pasture. I have identified 9, and located 7, and "thoroughly" hunted 3. This is the 4th, and its got my attention in a big way. This one is in a pasture, but the others are in crop fields, so it comes down to timing, and its a new adventure every time the farmer turns them over!

Thanks for the comments, I appreciate it. Today was one of my best days detecting yet, both for the finds, and feeling great that my research and effort are starting to produce.

Scott

AWESOME Button!! Hope this helps 1789-1802 militia HH 401K ( not sure on the dates trying to date the backmark )

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 308
AWESOME Button!! Hope this helps 1789-1802 infantry regiments HH401K

Very interesting....It sure looks like G59 is the button I dug. This is potentially a War of 1812 button? I had thought it was from around 1830 from another listing I had found. But now I wonder. I like your ID better!
Thanks 401!

Very interesting....It sure looks like G59 is the button I dug. This is potentially a War of 1812 button? I had thought it was from around 1830 from another listing I had found. But now I wonder. I like your ID better!
Thanks 401!
No problem! I'm not sure on the date those are in a section of the book that dates it late 17-early1800s. Tice says CT made. HH 401K

Attachments

• A.jpg
    A.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 290
I used to get over to the Genoa area from time to time, and I always thought it would be an interesting region to hunt. Where are you relative to there?

I used to get over to the Genoa area from time to time, and I always thought it would be an interesting region to hunt. Where are you relative to there?

I bet you mean Geneva....15 mi due south. I am blessed with great areas to hunt....great history. Give me a shout if you ever come this way again!

No problem! I'm not sure on the date those are in a section of the book that dates it late 17-early1800s. Tice says CT made. HH 401K

OK...now I see the difference. Mine is not pewter. Its gilted, copper or brass. SO maybe it does date to more like 1830 militia.
Thanks for all your info. I think I may need to track down that book you have!

Back
Top Bottom