• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

New to Metal Detecting... Any tips?

brymche

Hi everyone,
I'm New to metal detecting - I actually got my first MD today (a Garrett Ace 250) - and I haven't actually got to go outside and do some detecting. :( I was wondering if anybody had any tips for me. I have already learned how to use the Garrett Ace 250 (the basics), but because I haven't used it yet... I'm hoping it'll stop raining by tomorrow... Also, if anybody had any tips, not only for MD-ing in general, but on using the Garrett Ace 250, that would be nice!

Thanks.

hey, welcome to the forums.
one good place to start might be to scroll down on the main forum page and look for the heading "how to use your metal detector", click on that and you'll see the first thread is dedicated to the Ace's.
my 250 is brand new to me as well, so i don't really have enough practical time with it (yet) to give any real pointers, but that thread gives a LOT of info on it. :yes:

Pete

Welcome to the forum from Colorado! You will find oodles and oodles of info here, just click the search button at the top of the page. Good luck and here's hopin' you don't get washed away!

my 2cents

Welcome to the forum.

Here's some tips:

- learn your machine and what it can do
- continue to read the forum
- Research areas you tend to hunt
- read magazines and books on treasure hunting - "Urban Treasure Hunter by Micheal Chapman" Western and Eastern Treasure mag., Lost Treasure mag., Dick Stout's TH books
- Persistence -don't give up on a spot
- think outside the box - hunt where others may not
- observe people and there habits in parks and social areas
- look for older buildings this is a hint that there is possibly older coins and relics
- practice makes perfect put the hours in
- team up with others - 2 or more heads are better than one on ideas
- metal detecting garden to learn machine
- try parks, schools , your backyard , friends and families yards, gain permission to possible spots
- talk to some old heads in your town ,they can give you a wealth of knowledge
- carnivals and circus's do they come to your town- where?

Im sure others will chime in . I hope this helps.
-

- carnivals and circus's do they come to your town- where?
-

No carnivals and circuses don't come to my town... Well they do but they're always held in big, indoor buildings. I live in San Jose, CA. I have asked about this in other posts, but so far I have gotten no replies. I can't seem to find out if I'm allowed to dig in certain places. Here's my actual question : http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=61745

I know that different places have different rules, so I was wondering if anybody knew about the Bay Area...

First of all, go MDing a lot. A test garden is a good idea. Bury items like pull tabs, bottle caps and nails so you'll know what trash signals look like. Then try different denomination coins, silver and clad then silver rings and if you can gold rings. (Tie a string to them!) Dig everything the first year and REMEMBER what different signals look like. Go alot. Start in your own back yard to practise filling in your holes. You can't get in trouble with yourself. Go a lot. In parks think about high traffic areas like the grass between the gate and the bleachers. Swing, dig, learn, remember. And do it a lot.

I live in an apartment and they usually make great MD areas -- a lot of people around = high chance of finding stuff.

Yeah, but the thing that sucks is that I can't dig... We have a lot of ivy plants though, so maybe I'll check in there!

Back
Top Bottom