old sites

dirtdiver45

so I found those 3 old coins at three separate place. I have hunted all those spots again and have not found any more old coins. what am I doing wrong?

no telling
i have hunted an old house in town 6 or 7 times found two wheats and one silver dime
but i am not done yet
you just never know some people were very careful with there money back then
keep trying and good luck
curtis

so I found those 3 old coins at three separate place. I have hunted all those spots again and have not found any more old coins. what am I doing wrong?

Probably nothing! You might try upping your sensitivity, but you've probably already done that. Just keep going over it from time to time.

Two of my favorite places to hunt are very, very stingy in their finds. Yet, going over them again from time to time does provide some new items.

Just don't forget to find new places to hunt, too.

Thanks for the advice. I think I am going to go back to the park in a couple of days and try again. I know there are old coins there, many have been found. doubtful they have all been found!

You might try, if you're gridding the site, to start your grid at a 45 degree
angle from your last search...This sometimes works for me, as it reduces
the amount of unsearched area..

could?

Could trash be masking targets? If so dig all the crap out and see if good stuff starts appearing. What kind of coil do you have? A smaller dd coil in a high trash area works better than a larger coil. Food for thought.

Not all old houses have old coins, I have been to old houses that had wheats and silver all over and the house right next door had zip, zilch, nada......if no kids ever lived in the house the finds are really slim. Are you digging all signals, you can't rely on deep coins to give perfect signals.....

Was the ground more moist on the days you found the coins? Most detectors see deeper and operate better on moist soil. I have gone back to places I have hunted after a rain and found more stuff. I'm just throwin this out there in case you havn't thought about it. Good luck.

Do you dig the iffies?

Those are the ones that give a mixture of VDIs s that lean toward being junk. If you are on a site that gives up old coins, and you get that all over the place rusty nail kind of signal and says it's over 5 inches, dig it. targets in the ground for a long time may develop corrosion around the them. I find that a lot with large and small copper cents that are deep. Two unlike coins within say 6 inches apart X 6 inches deepcan cause confusion if the recovery speed dosn't match your swing speed. That is why you hear "swing low and slow" If the area you are hunting has little trash a slower R/S may benifit the deeper targets. Wheras a faster R/S will separate better at the expense of depth and the accuracy of both depth and VDI. If you don't have an adj for recovery slow down and keep the coil flat to the ground. Dig a few of them
deep unknowns and see what the result is. Relic hunters usually pass up nothing, that why they come up with a lot old coins and buttons. Well thats my opinion.:D. Good luck Gil

thanks for the advice gil. I was getting alot of those kinds of signals today, the jumpy ones, and I didn't dig them cause I thought it was trash. when I go back to that house in a week or so I am gonna dig those signals. I also didn't know about the slow/fast swing, I will keep that in mind to!

Back
Top Bottom