Questions about a pennies from my first $25 box

Siz

Hello, Its been awhile since I have been on, Life and new job get in the way sometimes. Since I haven't been able to get out with the detector I figured I would do a bit of CRH and what better to start doing it in large quantities than with pennies since its 250 pennies for $25.

So anyway, I have a 1999 WAM penny but it has a lot of the black zinc spots on it. Is it worth sending it out to get graded. Im gonna post some pictures to show what I am talking about. I'm really excited that I found it in my first box, along with 14 wheat pennies, a bunch of nice toned pennies, and what I think might also be a 1992 D CAM which I am going to also post pictures of and if anyone could tell me if it is a 1992 D CAM or not. The A and the M are very close but the FG is also close. One of a kind? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and HH

-Siz

Here are the pictures.

The 1999 WAM:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The possible (fingers crossed) 1992 D CAM:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

So can anyone help me out with the 1992 D and also can anyone tell me if the 1999 is worth being graded.

Thanks again in advance.

-Siz

Hey Siz,
I do not know anything about rare pennies.
I do know math though...
If you only got 250 pennies for 25 bucks you got took BIG TIME!!!!!
I have been watching the news about how the schools are struggling,
This is really awful!!!!!:p

Only 250 pennies for $25! Dude, you need to go back down there and tell them you want the other 2,250 pennies!!

:lol:

If he sells that penny for $100 he can get TWICE as many...........lets see.......knot divided by knot, multiplied by knot is 750 pennies. J/K Siz, nice find! I see the wide am on the first one but not really seeing the close am on the second one. Are you going to try to clean it at all or leave it?

OK haha guys, so i made a tiny, almost unnoticeable calculation error that only you math genius's can figure out. No biggie really. So 2500 pennies*. Now any idea what the coin is worth in the condition its in?

@lordofthezincs: I was really hoping it was a close am, damn oh well. Glad to know I still got the wide am. Not bad for my first box I suppose. And doesn't cleaning a coin basically obliterate the value of it to a collector? Also how much would it cost and how would I go about getting it graded if its worth being graded.

-siz

YES SIR!!! That 99 looks good to me. But the 92D is the normal one.

As for the 99, try soaking it in acetone. It may get it looking better.

As for grading it, most grading companies charge more for error or variety authentication. So, I would just get a nice plastic holder for it. The market has cooled off for the WAMS. But it is a rare find. Try checking out NGC or PCGS for rates for slabbing errors or varieties. Maybe the costs have come down since the last time I checked.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll have to check out grading service prices and such and see what it'll cost. I've seen the average price on ebay from ones that sold is around 100 so thus I'm unsure of a value.

@dirtyrob I def will get a better holder for it than just a flimsy cardboard one but wont the acetone mess up the coin because of the acids in it, and then at thaat point it is labeled "clean?"

Thanks again for the replies guys.

-Siz

The acetone shouldn't hurt it. Just soak it and then rinse with some distilled water and pat dry.

No cleaning or rubbing......just soak, rinse, and pat dry.

I was looking for pics of my 99.....maybe tonight I'll get it posted.

ok cool thanks for the tip, now you mean acetone i get from a hardware store right? not like nail polish remover? Also can't wait to see what yours looks like.

In that box I also found 14 wheats which I was happy about, in this new box im doing, so far I have found 4 with not to many rolls opened so so far so good.

Back
Top Bottom