Ace 250 and oyster shells

glenny

Has anybody received false depth reading in oyster shells (as used in roadbeds). I am getting reading of 6-8" deep and the targets are actually about 2-4" deep. I don?t mind not digging the extra 2-4" in hard shell. Just kind of curious about the readings :?:

As far as I know there should be no problem with oyster shells and false readings.

Some materials do seem to give false depth readings, I get this with my Hawkeye at times. Not sure why, mineral or moisture content perhaps ?

went back to the same place yesterday after work. same results. coins read 6-8" but actually onlyabout 4" deep. However, the ground here is very, very dry. lots of clay and gumbo dirt mixed in the shell. Alan you might be right with the moisture content of the ground. I've never tried digging thru froozen ground before, but if it's anything like the cement dirt we have right now. there must be alot of tool sharping going on.

Glenny... I think you answered your question... Its probably the clay, It will sound off as a coin sometimes.. I know when I am water detecting a clay brick sounds off..

I'm not getting any false readings of coins, just false depth reading. The coins are there every time i dig just the wrong depth. Went back to my test bed and every thing there reads true to depth so the ace is working right. I guess until we get some rain, if that's what it is, I'll will just have to deal with screwy depth reading for now and just keep on digging those wheaties :D

Most of the oyster shells we see are inland. They are often an indication of Roman occupation.

Back
Top Bottom