Do you "carry" while detecting?

Living in NJ, I have almost no options. Because I spend a lot of time alone in the woods, I went to my local gun store and bought some pepper spray, because "I'm not allowed to take my Beretta into the woods."

I know people who have moved from this state because of the uuber-restrictive gun laws.... Vermont's sounding AWFULLY good to me.

I carry a Kel-Tec 380 p3at at all times, not just when I am metal detecting. It is a very small light weight disposable pistol. The only time I wished I had it was this summer I was out on the beach in my swim trunks without my piece and a bum approached me and kept getting in my face and was drunk and would not leave me alone. He offered sexual favors and I had to threaten him to make him leave me alone. I wish I had my gun it wouldve made me feel safer.

I'm in Mexico, not an option here, but i've never felt as i needed it in my areas. I do carry a scoop you wouldn't want to be hit with though!

Also being from NJ I have to agree the Pepper spray is the way to go. Have had an un related incident that the spray had to be used and after calling and speaking with the police, they checked it out they said it absolutely is 100% legal to carry and use if your threatened.

I use this not much of protection but what else is a 12 year old suppose to carry?

Where I live, anyone under the age of 16 with a BB gun gets detailed by the police and release to the parents (if not arrested along with the parents) depending upon circumstances. Check your local laws.

I carry a Kel-Tec 380 p3at at all times, not just when I am metal detecting. It is a very small light weight disposable pistol. The only time I wished I had it was this summer I was out on the beach in my swim trunks without my piece and a bum approached me and kept getting in my face and was drunk and would not leave me alone. He offered sexual favors and I had to threaten him to make him leave me alone. I wish I had my gun it wouldve made me feel safer.

I carry the Ket-Tec as well. Great gun. FYI: It's not disposable, you can use it many times!

Arizona? Phoenix? Anyone?

Ok, am a wee bit confused... was going to start a new topic, but figured it may fit into this one... hope so.

So, as of July, AZ laws have changed no longer requiring CCW permits to carry in most places... yes, still can't in Gov't "buildings", or if private businesses state so, then you can't and you can't carry in other states (this is what I "think" is correct so far based on some research, please take all I say with grain of salt as I am not a Police Officer etc)...

So, as most of my hunting is at night... I "may" want to carry a weapon in a 1 or two of the dicier parks etc - whatever the reason, is moot....

Anyways, I call the Park number for a specific park here in Phoenix and the person says "I think you can carry"... ok, she then takes the extra steps to check it for sure... gets back on the phone and says "Yup, you can carry without a CCW in the park"... so, cool. I ask her about the sign that is posted that says no weapons without proper etc etc etc... she says, they just have not yet changed the sign. I can carry. Cool.

To double check, I call the PD... they tell me, nope. Can't without CCW, or at least he "thinks" you can't. Now, I am confuzzled.

I ask the PD feller, "soooooo, the answer would be "No"... do not carry in that park" and he replies basically, "all I can tell you is what I told you". Clear as mud. He "thinks" I can't? I tell him about my phone call to the parks folks... and he repeats "all I can tell you is what I told you". Gee, can I take a hint. Lol.

I then call park person back, explain to them what I got from the PD folks... and he says, I'll check and get back to you Monday, that someone has got to have the "definitive" answer.

So, figured I'd drop the question here for now... "anyone" know whether or not I can carry without a CCW in a Phoenix City Park? Remebering the new law that went into effect I thing in July. I even vaguely recall reading a news article that said you could. I just want to be 100% sure.

As a disclaimer, folks, regardless of what is said in here, I would strongly recommend you check with your true officials for your city and state. having said that... I have not had a whole lot of luck in that regard - yet. :grin:

but will of course continue to check with them until I am satisfied, one way or the other... but thought I would check and see what folks here knew or didn't know... again, all with a grain of salt.

Anyone know a better way for me to check? Tried parks folks, they checked with Rangers, and tried PD... what else????

Why this should be so confusing is beyond me though. Lol.

Thanks!

Ok, am a wee bit confused... was going to start a new topic, but figured it may fit into this one... hope so.

So, as of July, AZ laws have changed no longer requiring CCW permits to carry in most places... yes, still can't in Gov't "buildings", or if private businesses state so, then you can't and you can't carry in other states (this is what I "think" is correct so far based on some research, please take all I say with grain of salt as I am not a Police Officer etc)...

So, as most of my hunting is at night... I "may" want to carry a weapon in a 1 or two of the dicier parks etc - whatever the reason, is moot....

Anyways, I call the Park number for a specific park here in Phoenix and the person says "I think you can carry"... ok, she then takes the extra steps to check it for sure... gets back on the phone and says "Yup, you can carry without a CCW in the park"... so, cool. I ask her about the sign that is posted that says no weapons without proper etc etc etc... she says, they just have not yet changed the sign. I can carry. Cool.

To double check, I call the PD... they tell me, nope. Can't without CCW, or at least he "thinks" you can't. Now, I am confuzzled.

I ask the PD feller, "soooooo, the answer would be "No"... do not carry in that park" and he replies basically, "all I can tell you is what I told you". Clear as mud. He "thinks" I can't? I tell him about my phone call to the parks folks... and he repeats "all I can tell you is what I told you". Gee, can I take a hint. Lol.

I then call park person back, explain to them what I got from the PD folks... and he says, I'll check and get back to you Monday, that someone has got to have the "definitive" answer.

So, figured I'd drop the question here for now... "anyone" know whether or not I can carry without a CCW in a Phoenix City Park? Remebering the new law that went into effect I thing in July. I even vaguely recall reading a news article that said you could. I just want to be 100% sure.

As a disclaimer, folks, regardless of what is said in here, I would strongly recommend you check with your true officials for your city and state. having said that... I have not had a whole lot of luck in that regard - yet. :grin:

but will of course continue to check with them until I am satisfied, one way or the other... but thought I would check and see what folks here knew or didn't know... again, all with a grain of salt.

Anyone know a better way for me to check? Tried parks folks, they checked with Rangers, and tried PD... what else????

Thanks!

Yes the best advice anyone can give you is..."Carry and dont be a victim".

Jesus told you to carry..... Luke 22:36 "Then said he to them, But now, he that has a purse, let him take it, and likewise his money: and he that has no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one".

He is the last and the first authority on the matter.

Just dont be living by the sword.:cool:

I don't have a gun yet will get one someday. My dad is a hippie so he's against them. He has a criminal justice degree so he understands how society needs it but chooses to not have one. Though once I'm on my own with family etc i will have one for at least in my house. My dad already had his head in a trash can at gun point but still won't arm himself.:no:.

Who knows i might get concealed permit one day when I'm older. Where I am if you go into a bad neighborhood its a really high chance someone will mess with you.

I probably wouldn't go near with my metal detector. If you break down there then i hope you watch a lot of dual survivor on discovery channel its a jungle out there.

Sorry to bring up old threads but I carry a s & w bodyguard 380. Small lightweight easy to conceal. Don't be a victim.

Dam thread was almost a year old lol.

I wish I could carry here in So Cal. I usually have my S&W 1911PD in the trunk of my car and dont go too far from it. I always have the wife with me detecting so she keeps an eye out. I carry the Lesche digger to stop someone until I can get to my weapon. I also have a XD45 tactical that sometimes is in the trunk as well. With the way Ventura County is I just may move since it is near impossible to get a CCW here. Oregon is looking great

Years ago I bought my wife (now ex) a .38 snubby for home defense and purse carry. She was deathly scared of being raped. When I bought the gun for her she asked "what if it doesn't stop a man from attacking"? I told her that if any man can take 6 .38 rounds and still perform, just lay down for him, it'll probably be worth it. Perhaps I have a sick sense of humor. And as for the original post, I ALWAYS have a pistol either on me or within hands reach regardless of where I am or what I'm doing. I have 4 to choose from and what I carry is dependant upon the current activity....Ruger .22, Colt Hammerless .380, Ruger .38 revolver, or a Beretta .40. When detecting, I usually carry the .380

kel-tec 40 cal. :waytogo:....or if i'm in a real bad neighborhood then its my cobray M-11 :gunbandanna::pirate:

My sharpened Special Forces Shovel can be used as a Hatchet or thrown... Although I'm no great thrower of shovels. :numchuck:

I carry the Ket-Tec as well. Great gun. FYI: It's not disposable, you can use it many times!

Would the exposure to dirt be worse for a cheap gun?

Thanks!

Just get a CCW permit. If you don't doesn't it have to be non concealed? I think that is how it is here.

You could call the DA's office they will probably let you talk to one of the Jr Assistant DAs.

Let us know what you find out.

Is there anything smaller than a .45? LOL.

I don't always carry a .45 ACP
But when I do I prefer my Kimber.
Keep packing my friends.

I actually bought a stainless S&W .38 for this purpose. They are tough and durable. Plus the .38 is so much more impressive than a .380 as far as ballistics go. Of course, I'd rather have a .22 than nothing.

Is there anything smaller than a .45? LOL.

I don't always carry a .45 ACP
But when I do I prefer my Kimber.
Keep packing my friends.

I actually bought a stainless S&W .38 for this purpose. They are tough and durable. Plus the .38 is so much more impressive than a .380 as far as ballistics go. Of course, I'd rather have a .22 than nothing.

This pawnshop I was in the other day had a 7 shot 380, that was small. Then I saw a 9mm very similar to it. I think they were both Rugers?

Keltec 380 carry it all the time not just when detecting.
Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

One of the good things about PA it's easy to get a permit.

Back
Top Bottom