PinPointers... GPP AT etc, my opinion...

AZWIP

Elite Member
Howdy folks, ok, the following is “my” opinion, and based on “my” likes and dislikes etc, etc… I know, everyone is different, lol… anyways, with that disclaimer… I figured I’d share my $ .02 worth, lol in regards to some of the various PinPointers, again, based on what I know… I know already some will agree, some will disagree etc… ok, cool, everyone is different… it’s a hobby, lets have fun… with that in mind, here is my take on some of these … and remember, I’m a fickle PinPointer person, lol…

Ok, as many others do, I also own and have used multiple Pin Pointers (pps)… and have various likes and dislikes regarding same… these include two Garrett ProPointers (GPP) , one is/was a backup or loaner when friends would hunt with me… have the BullsEye, have had the Treasuremate, have the X-Pointer, and have the TRX as well… have spent considerable time with all these, as I reside in AZ can pretty much hunt 365 days a year, and I do hunt – a lot! Lol.

Figured I’d share my thoughts and opinions … as I have just recently added the new Garrett ProPointer AT (GPPAT) to the herd!

Bottom line, if the GPPAT has Longevity, then, for me… it’s my goto, I love this thing! For various reasons… anyways, again, here are my thoughts
Let me start with the GPP… have had my original one, over 3 years, I know many have had issues etc… but, for me, mine had worked fine and dandy for over three years…. Yes, both of mine will false somewhat if a decent amount of pressure is put on the tip… but otherwise, works fine and dandy… good LED for the night hunter, decent sensitivity and built solid IMO/Experience with same.

But always wished it could be a wee bit more sensitive… but still really liked it… bought a second as a backup and loaner…

Now, on to the X-Pointer…

When the X-Pointer came out, I loved it, and still do… and yes, mine won’t really hit on small gold… by small, as per “my” experience, I mean a link or connector for a gold chain… mine will hit on a thin gold ring etc… so, for me, bang for the buck, the X-Pointer is a nice unit… great LED for night hunters (which I am mostly, probably 99% of the time), pretty decent sensitivity, will sniff a dime a bit further than my GPP… no falsing when I press the tip to the ground… all in all, I really like it… again, probably the most well lit LED from all that I have used…seems pretty well built, great bang for the buck.

So, so far, talked a bit about the Garrett PP and the X-Pointer… now, lets talk a bit about the big guns… lol, the world famous etc etc TRX!

Ok, I “like” the TRX, built pretty well, great sensitivity, off the tip… has a far reach…. Perhaps, too far… for me anyways… LED leaves a lot to be desired, for a night hunter anyways… it’s the dimmest of all my PPs… will hit on smaller gold than the GPP and the X-Pointer… however, not sure my metal detector will hit on that small of gold, lol… but again, very sensitive… off the tip. To “me” this is a pro and a con… when you do line up the item with the tip… it will find it… no doubt… but once I start digging etc… its get a bit cumbersome (again for me… BTW… I’ll stop saying “for me” now, lol, assume that, please)… yes, it gets easier once you get some time with it… but all in all… I found myself… putting the TRX on the shelf and yanking the GPP back into Play… I just like the 360 sensitivity and the LED and the one button etc… so, the X-Pointer and the TRX became my backups and loaners… the strength/sensitivity of the x-Pointer was almost perfect, other than it still bugged me a bit that I may not be able to hit a link or clasp of a gold chain, even though my MD may not have hit it either, lol, its just my way of thinking… lol

So, all in all, my line up became, in order of preference… GPP, TRX followed by X-Pointer (although I still think that X-Pointer rocks and bang for the buck is awesome!)

BUT…. As of yesterday and only 4 hours of solid use…. “my” number one is:

The GPP AT!!!!!

I love this thing! And again, if it proves to have longevity, for me, its my hands down favorite!!!! And yes, that’s only based on 4 hours of hunting… the sensitivity for my unit anyways, is about an inch deeper than my normal GPP or maybe even an inch and a quarter… I love that! Not “too” sensitive, but for my style – just perfect!! The LED is a b it brighter than my GPP, a little less bright than the X-Pointer and “much” brighter than my TRX. Again, just right! The thing feels like its built solid, the switch feels good… its real simple to use… one button. All that to say, my lineup/preference has now changed to, in order: Garrett ProPointer AT, hands down, followed by my normal GPP, then TRX and X-Pointer.

You’ll notice I did not go much into features comparisons etc..l know most folks know the features of these units etc… even feature for feature, this new GPP AT, is pretty good… can adjust sensitivity and mix modes of vibrate/sound …. Once set, will retain your settings… simple one button, waterproof (no, I did not test that), pretty much (for me, I know, I said I would not say that anymore… ok, could not resist) for me… “perfect” , it has the lost alarm (did not test that) if you forget it… it will beep after 5 mins, for 5 minutes then will auto turn off. Etc…

Ok, again, I have no vested interest in Garrett or any other MD manufacturer etc… just my own personal experience and thoughts… for me (yup, did it again)… this new GPP AT, fits as if it was custom made for my hunting needs… as far as I’m concerned… aain, “perfect” for me, provided it does not fall apart tomorrow, lol. Which again from my experience, I have had good luck with my GPPs… I know some have not… but I have.

All in all, there are lots of nice PinPointers etc… with pros and cons… the TRX, although it’s the most sensitive, again, does tend to slow me down a bit in an overall hunt… and weird, but on occasion (at least at some point during each hunt)… it would false… even when I held it in the air… I’d have to turn on an off … again, not often, so, minor inconvenience… all in all, good PP, but would like to see 360 sensitivity (again, its “my” preference) and brighter LED… X-Pointer, pretty darn good unit… and sometimes, I actually preferred it to my TRX and/or GPP….

Anyways, sorry for the book folks, just wanted to add my thoughts on some Pin Pointers etc… my grand summary is: This Garrett ProPointer AT, is just what I have been looking for!!! Really like this unit!!! Its perfect for my hunting!

Good luck folks and enjoy the hobby… opinions are always welcomed and varied, that’s the beauty of this hobby…. And we all have varying thoughts and needs when it comes to Pin Pointers etc.

Happy Hunting!!!

Ron

i'm seriously considering getting one of the new Garrett pp'ers and this is the kind of post about that will help convince me that this is the proper one for me! :yes:
my original pp'er is still going strong, considering i broke the switch within a month of getting it, but 4 years later, it's never let me down. like you, i bought a second one for backup and for a buddy to use, but it hasn't seen the dirt yet. i generally hunt alone and my original is still ticking like a timex, lol. :lol:
but one of the features of the new one is the waterproof capability, that goes hand in hand with the At Pro, so it just seems like a natural upgrade for me. many times i've wished i had a waterproof pp'er. it looks like that will become reality very soon. ;)

thanks for the post!

Pete

Cool

Glad it helped Pete... I spent another 3 hours last night... yup, still my hands down favorite.

I don't understand this small gold mentality. I see this mentioned a lot. I've never seen this come up as a real issue.

What led you to go back to the GPP from the XP? From what I understand the XP not only doesn't false (which is my biggest complaint about the GPP), but even hits deeper. It can't just be the idea of a random chain link being missed?

Are there any youtube videos comparing the new AT to the original? I'm glad to hear that you think it hits deeper because the majority of what I use a pinpointer for is locating the target from the surface.

Thank you for sharing!

Good question....

Howdy, yup, good questions... I guess I went back to the GPP, just for that reason, I knew it would hit on "smaller" item of gold, although, like I said, not sure my metal detectors would, lol... so, in "my" beady mind... I'm thinking, back to the ol GPP... but, that X-Pointer is no slouch, and yes, on the same size ring for example, the X-pointer was deeper...

And yeah, too deep, for me anyways, is NOT a plus... so, the TRX, in some cases, may be "too deep/sensitive" for me... but would be ok, just it did not increase my speed once the dig out happened...

Enter the GPP AT, again, man, I think this one is perfect for me... a bit deeper than my normal GPP, not quite as deep as the TRX, but, the brighter LED, the 360 and being a bit deeper than my normal GPP... all rocks for my style of hunting... the depth and sensitivity seem ideal for me. Its like the best combination of the X-Pointer (as it will hit the smaller, link/clasp size gold) and with 360 and various other features... agian, love the one button simplicity... don't have to remember all that much to make changes, if you want... for me, I like "3rd Gear" lol with vibrate and sound.

Its become my favorite as it pretty much is exactly how I wanted my pin pointer to be... if the X-Pointer had hit on the gold clasp... it would be it... The x-pointer still rocks though... it was a mental thing for me... lol... not a big deal though... but yeah, honestly, ity would probably hit on anything my detectors would hit on, from what I can tell... but keyword to me... is probably and always thinking "Gee, if someone would get rid of the falsing with pressure, hit on a gold clasp, and reach a bit further than the GPP, with 360, etc"... and bingo, out came the GPP AT... for me - its ideal... fulfills what I was looking for in my mind for "perfect" - provided its got good longevity.

I mean, the TRX is sensitive, no doubt, but I dunno... I did indeed miss the 360, and there were times, with my being a night hunter... I wished the LED were better... I know, I could carry an extra light, but, didn't want to carry extra stuff, lol... thats just me. And, indeed, my TRX had gone a wee bit nuts from time to time... where it would beep and not stop until I shut on and off.... not often mind you... but again, just another annoyance... actually, I may end up selling my TRX... the sensitivity/depth on this new GPP AT, for me, is right on the money. I'm enjoying it. Lol

Hope that helps?

Howdy, yup, good questions... I guess I went back to the GPP, just for that reason, I knew it would hit on "smaller" item of gold, although, like I said, not sure my metal detectors would, lol... so, in "my" beady mind... I'm thinking, back to the ol GPP... but, that X-Pointer is no slouch, and yes, on the same size ring for example, the X-pointer was deeper...

And yeah, too deep, for me anyways, is NOT a plus... so, the TRX, in some cases, may be "too deep/sensitive" for me... but would be ok, just it did not increase my speed once the dig out happened...

Enter the GPP AT, again, man, I think this one is perfect for me... a bit deeper than my normal GPP, not quite as deep as the TRX, but, the brighter LED, the 360 and being a bit deeper than my normal GPP... all rocks for my style of hunting... the depth and sensitivity seem ideal for me. Its like the best combination of the X-Pointer (as it will hit the smaller, link/clasp size gold) and with 360 and various other features... agian, love the one button simplicity... don't have to remember all that much to make changes, if you want... for me, I like "3rd Gear" lol with vibrate and sound.

Its become my favorite as it pretty much is exactly how I wanted my pin pointer to be... if the X-Pointer had hit on the gold clasp... it would be it... The x-pointer still rocks though... it was a mental thing for me... lol... not a big deal though... but yeah, honestly, ity would probably hit on anything my detectors would hit on, from what I can tell... but keyword to me... is probably and always thinking "Gee, if someone would get rid of the falsing with pressure, hit on a gold clasp, and reach a bit further than the GPP, with 360, etc"... and bingo, out came the GPP AT... for me - its ideal... fulfills what I was looking for in my mind for "perfect" - provided its got good longevity.

I mean, the TRX is sensitive, no doubt, but I dunno... I did indeed miss the 360, and there were times, with my being a night hunter... I wished the LED were better... I know, I could carry an extra light, but, didn't want to carry extra stuff, lol... thats just me. And, indeed, my TRX had gone a wee bit nuts from time to time... where it would beep and not stop until I shut on and off.... not often mind you... but again, just another annoyance... actually, I may end up selling my TRX... the sensitivity/depth on this new GPP AT, for me, is right on the money. I'm enjoying it. Lol

Hope that helps?

Thanks! I totally understand what you are saying about the TRX. I own a very falsey GPP (it also does the beeping until you turn it off and back on thing) so what I hear about the XP just makes me think that it's simply a better product not even considering the difference in cost. To be able to hear noise and actually trust that there is really a piece of metal nearby is something I would value highly.

Still my favorite

Howdy, good to hear, yeah have really been logging some time with this GPP AT... and yup, still my favorite, lol. Still rock solid etc.

Happy Hunting!!!

AZWIP, how does the X-Pointer compare to the GPP as far as sturdiness, quality of build, etc? My pinpointer has been really good until just this past couple of weeks (I use it a lot!) and it's starting to have issues, like the button sticking and not turning the thing on, and it's just started falsing like crazy. I've replaced the battery and it's still acting up, so I have to decide whether to send this back in and have Garrett look at it or just find a good replacement, as it's only a year old.

AZWIP, how does the X-Pointer compare to the GPP as far as sturdiness, quality of build, etc? My pinpointer has been really good until just this past couple of weeks (I use it a lot!) and it's starting to have issues,
Sounds so familiar. After the warranty expired on my GPP (which was a replacement for my first bad one) I purchased an X-pointer. It weighs about an ounce less, but doesn't suffer in sturdiness or quality. Deeper, brighter, no falsing, more options and cheaper. I put my GPP away as a backup, actually thinking of selling it someday.

Hi

Lol, I think Coin-Op said it in regards to the X-Pointer... tend to agree... a bit lighter, but seems rugged, no falsing, nice bright LED, pretty darn good sensitivity... two button control... took a wee bit to get used to that, but, no big deal... I really like the X-Pointer as well. Again, bang for the buck, like it a lot. Had it hit on the small Gold clasp... of a gold chain... it would probably have been perfect for me... and again, that "probably" really does not make that much of a difference for my hunting... as I am not sure my MDs would have hit... but, this was enough for me to go back to my GPP and try the TRX etc.

Enter the GPP AT, lol, no falsing with mine, sensitivity is better than GPP, and simple to use... but the XP is also simple to use. Click on, Click Off. Second button can be used to easily toggle through various combinations of Vibrate, Sound etc, as well as sensitivity.

Pretty much the "only" reason I did not make the XP my goto... was and is, he fact that it would not hit that very small gold... otherwise, it had the sensitivity, the ease of use, the LED etc... and definitely a great price (as compared to others)... but in my mind, I would always be wondering if I walked away from something, whereas, probably in all reality... it would not happen... lol.

So in always seeking what would work best for me... was the GPP AT... but, I really don't think you would be disappointed with the XP... its pretty darn good, and had it hit that tiny stupid gold clasp... that my MD probably would not hit, lol, it would be my goto.... no question.

Its pretty cool... but the GPP AT for me is my number 1.... because it does hit that stupid tiny gold clasp, lol.

Hope that helps?

Ron

Thank you guys for the info, I think I'm going to go ahead and replace the GPP with the XP. I don't want to have this same problem a year from now and my main concern was if it would hold up better.

And I completely understand why you like one over the other, everybody has that certain expectation and if it isn't met, well... it's just not the right one for you.

Thanks again!

Lol, I think Coin-Op said it in regards to the X-Pointer... tend to agree... a bit lighter, but seems rugged, no falsing, nice bright LED, pretty darn good sensitivity... two button control... took a wee bit to get used to that, but, no big deal... I really like the X-Pointer as well. Again, bang for the buck, like it a lot. Had it hit on the small Gold clasp... of a gold chain... it would probably have been perfect for me... and again, that "probably" really does not make that much of a difference for my hunting... as I am not sure my MDs would have hit... but, this was enough for me to go back to my GPP and try the TRX etc.

Enter the GPP AT, lol, no falsing with mine, sensitivity is better than GPP, and simple to use... but the XP is also simple to use. Click on, Click Off. Second button can be used to easily toggle through various combinations of Vibrate, Sound etc, as well as sensitivity.

Pretty much the "only" reason I did not make the XP my goto... was and is, he fact that it would not hit that very small gold... otherwise, it had the sensitivity, the ease of use, the LED etc... and definitely a great price (as compared to others)... but in my mind, I would always be wondering if I walked away from something, whereas, probably in all reality... it would not happen... lol.

So in always seeking what would work best for me... was the GPP AT... but, I really don't think you would be disappointed with the XP... its pretty darn good, and had it hit that tiny stupid gold clasp... that my MD probably would not hit, lol, it would be my goto.... no question.

Its pretty cool... but the GPP AT for me is my number 1.... because it does hit that stupid tiny gold clasp, lol.

Hope that helps?

Ron

because it does hit that stupid tiny gold clasp, lol.

Does your metal detector get a signal onn the clasp?

Good question

Good question, so I just tried... the clasp has to be practically touching my MD coil... so again, yeah, not so sure I would dig the signal, or if it would hit if I was swinging away during a real hunt.

I think, with only one exception, my chains, all have pendants... one does not but it had a pretty decent size lobster claw ( I would have tested that one, but no longer have that chain in my possession, lol) ... IMO I think the XP will hit probably 98% of the gold targets I may hit... I did not try it against a small stud earring... would be interesting to see if the XP would hit on that.

So, for me anyways, it seems the GPP AT will hit the tinier gold, that I may or may not hit with my MD (I know, sounds like a wash almost, lol). so for me, its a small notch above the XP. But again the XP rocks.

If my XP had hit the clasp as my GPP did, it would have been my number one... for sure. But as my GPP AT does hit it ... in my mind, I know it should be considered a notch better. I think it is. Not "too" sensitive, but more sensitive that my original GPP, not quite as far reaching as the TRX (which for me may be "too" far reaching, but mainly the lack of the 360 for the complete unit... actually slows me down a bit... hence, again, "my" preference of the GPP AT... plus the dim LED is a bit of a turn off for myself as a night hunter).

Again, these are all good units... comes down to somewhat a preference, for me anyways... I prefer the GPP AT over my XP (barely) due to the fact that just "mentally" I think its a notch better as it did hit the clasp, lol. But also, I have to admit barely, but the bloomin thing did sound off... so again in my mind, its a bit better, for me anyways.

But in 4 years of hunting, I'm not 100% convinced that the XP would not have found all that I have found, perhaps one or two exceptions... perhaps.

Ultimately it came down to the side by side comparison, like I said, the GPP AT did hit that clasp... it became my number one. Lol.

TRX rocks, but actually slows me down a bit once the digging starts, and LED is a bit dim.

XP rocks and may or may not sound off on a small (really small) gold item. But no falsing, and has a good reach as well as the best LED

GPP AT, right now, fits me to a "t". Again, if it has longevity (XP still needs to prove that also as does I guess the TRX, to a point) its my fav. Seems to fit my needs at 99 %. If it had the XP LED, it would be 99.9% percent, lol. But, even in the LED dept, the GPP AT is the second brightest I have, even brighter than the original GPP... and I compared it to both my GPPs. I know some folks have said that the GPP AT did not reach further or much further than their GPP... mine does, enough to make a difference and inch plus... again, almost perfect for me. On a coin the reach of the GPP AT was about the same as the XP - pretty good for both...

Summary (IMO) - GPP AT a wee bit better. Lol.

TRX, greatest reach, but, too much for me, and lack of 360 and has dimmer LED, allows my GPP AT the edge.

Happy hunting folks, all good units, enjoy!

Ron

PS sorry for repeating things like IMO and "for me" - just trying to drive home the point... we all like different things and our priorities are different. Enjoy!

My point was that if 99% of the metal detectors themselves can't see that clasp underneath the ground or even on the surface during search since it nearly has to be touching the coil in open air, "Aren't we being illogical to complain about the X-Pointer not seeing it?"

For all practicality a pinpointer only needs to see what our detectors will detect, right? Maybe I'm missing something in all these discussions. *Scratching my head*

Yup

Lol, yup, I agree. I had been trying to say that in other posts... but you stated it pretty well and with less words, lol. I do agree...

I hope ya'll don't think I'm "complaining" about the XP not seeing it... I'm simply stating what I see regarding the two... not complaining... the XP is no slouch... the GPP AT will however see smaller gold than the XP... from what I can tell that's a fact, not a complaint... for me, it makes me put the needle more towards the GPP AT... just for that... I know my machines may not see what the XP can't see... I don't know what other folks MDs can see... so, I just state my thoughts and opinions, lol.

The XP is cheaper and awesome, I won't negate that Pin Pointer... and for the gear I have... it will probably hit on anything my MDs will hit on... but, from what "I" can see... the GPP AT will 100% hit on anything my MDs will hit on.. that gives it the nudge for what I am looking for...so, just statements based on my gear and experience.... yours may vary, lol.

Good Pin Pointers... all. I lean towards the GPP AT and still recommend the XP as well... both good machines, one is a hair more sensitive to small gold but costs more, the other is little less dough but has the brightest LED.... both will have to prove longevity over time...

And keep in mind, I say I lean toward the GPP ATT, I am not saying it blows away all the others etc etc... and the others are no good, etc... lol... I'm just saying... here is what I think and why.

Ya'll have fun, its a hobby... neat comparing new gear etc... the past year some cool Pin Pointers have come out... enjoy!

Ron

Back
Top Bottom