Help with brick structure ?

JamieG.

Elite Member
I was detecting in the woods, and I came across a small 5x8 brick structure.
It's made out of solid red brick and it's broken down with about a 20 ft. oak growing out of it. I don't know alot about this area but I think it was a boy scout camp ground in 70's and 80's. Around this area alot of old foundations and homes are made of grey bricks. As of yet I have not found any other signs of a old home site near by anyway. Any ideas how old or what this maybe.
Thanks, Jamie

First thoughts..

I was thinking maybe pump house, but I can't find any other signs of that. Agree with Newbie to fancy for a out house, smoke house is a good thought. Hopefully there is a old foundation around. I only have about 2-4 hours into this site and alot of woods to search. So far I have searched the area I think the boy scout camp was, Found little bit of clad (pre 1980) some kind of lead slag, shotgun shell head stamp (fairly modern) other fired brass and a part of a harmonica reed. Trying to get some kinda of general age of the area but the finds have been varied hard to tell. Maybe I can find something that can tell me what this area was in the past.

if you're looking for a possible foundation, use that brick structure as a starting point and do some circles around it in all metal mode. increase your diameter by 15-20 feet at a time and if there's a foundation, you're gonna hit nails sooner or later. and searching that way, you don't have to be fussy with overlapping the swings, just walk along until the iron beeps start coming in! :D
oh, and be wary of possible wells in the area, especially if that might have been a pump house!
Pete

Good idea..

I think thats what I will do, circle around it till something worth wild pops up. Off to one side of it about 50 yards is a creek, so to conditions are right for a home site. gtoast99 made a good suggestion also whice I have been trying to research

Yeah outhouses tend to be wood and movable.An average family of 4 would fill one up in about a year. Mpst likely a Springhouse or Smokehouse. The home could be as far as 100 feet away. If you get there early enough you may want to just sit and watch the light hit the ground around it, old foundations may show up as furrows or slight mounds.

Bounds!

Holy crap.. I saw some big bounds, caty corner from the structure about 100-200 feet away. I saw it on my way out, thought to myself I would have to check those out one day. Wow

I was wondering..

I have seen bounds before in wooded areas. I have always wondered what they were or could be.

Back
Top Bottom