Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > What's the Value? > CRHing

Old 08-20-2017, 08:15 PM
Supporter

Default What's your opinion on the value if these. .

My wife got these when her dad passed. She wants them gone. Approximately 180 dollar coins, some wheats, 100 sacagawea, and approximately 120 50 cent piece. What should I do with them? How much over face value? Thanks for your help.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Old 08-20-2017, 08:22 PM
Elite Member

Smile

Condition, rarity and demand are what determine coin values, so first you have to find out those things. Of course, if they have silver content, then you also have that value, too. Best thing would be to have them appraised by a competent and honest coin dealer or collector. Good luck.

Old 08-20-2017, 08:59 PM
Elite Member

Check them for any errors or key dates. The Sac dollars are common and I don't think they are worth anything but face value. The others look like relatively common clad as well but worth checking for any collector value which can probably be done with google. Unfortunately the whole lot may not be worth much more than face value but I would look each one up just to be sure. If they were silver instead of clad , it would be a different story....

Old 08-21-2017, 12:43 PM
Elite Member

Dump small dollar coins at the bank or use them for tips, nothing over face value. The Ikes are cool just because you don't see them much anymore, I would check for any 40% silver (very unlikely) and use the rest to give kids for birthdays, tooth fairy, etc. The halves, also check for silver, from the color it looks like you might have at least one 40% in the stacks. Otherwise, spend them or take to bank. The pennies you'll have to look at the dates but don't get your hopes up.

Old 08-21-2017, 05:37 PM
Supporter

The Ike's make a great home-defense weapon if you put a handful in an old sock. The Sacs? Not good for much. I spend those and the Ike's, (love the double-take looks from vendors, they usually keep 'em).

Like someone else mentioned, check the halves for silver, 1970 and earlier.
Also check the Ike's for 40% silver, by the rim, blue or brown proofs or 1976 bicentennial proof (some are clad non-40%).

My LCS is paying 2 cents ea for common date wheats.

When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors.

Old 08-21-2017, 08:21 PM
Elite Member

I worked in a coin shop back in 2003, and we were selling the Ikes for $2 each at that time. I don't know what they retail for now in coin shops, but I wouldn't spend them at face value if I could get more for them.

Old 08-21-2017, 11:24 PM
Supporter

thanks for the input.

Old 08-22-2017, 12:49 PM
Official Tot Lot King

Take your wife out to dinner with the Saqs. Since they were pulled from circulation they are worth face value.

Wheaties are worth a few cents apiece once you check for possible scarce dates to separate. At least they are copper and that is about 3 cents a piece scrap value but you cannot at this time scrap them!

The Ikes...take to a coin shop and ask about selling them...likely since they are circulated they will not be interested. Check for possible silver dates before doing that. You cannot dump them in the bank coin machine as it does not like that size coin! HA HA Leave them as tips for good service at restaurants!

Concern the halves, look for 87 and any date 1970 or before, those are the only ones with any value if circulated. Otherwise dump them at the bank coin machine.

Old 08-23-2017, 09:32 AM
Supporter

I think you should go toss at least 30 of those Ikes and Sacs and Fitty coins out in various parks etc. so some other detectorist can find them someday.....You know, 'Pay the Gate' so to speak...toss out a bunch of the wheaties even! Everybody likes to find those!

In the event of my unexpected demise, Thats what my Wife is 'Supposed' to do with my silver coins and rings.! Not that there is a whole lot, but still...Its something as a 'thank you' to the Sport!..

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

Old 08-23-2017, 11:45 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Mud-puppy View post
I think you should go toss at least 30 of those Ikes and Sacs and Fitty coins out in various parks etc. so some other detectorist can find them someday.....You know, 'Pay the Gate' so to speak...toss out a bunch of the wheaties even! Everybody likes to find those!

In the event of my unexpected demise, Thats what my Wife is 'Supposed' to do with my silver coins and rings.! Not that there is a whole lot, but still...Its something as a 'thank you' to the Sport!..
You're a kind and generous man to the end. May it not come anytime soon.

Old 08-25-2017, 04:15 PM
Official Tot Lot King

Originally Posted by Mud-puppy View post

Nice Idea! But you live too far away from the Royal Castle to do His Majesty any good!

Old 08-26-2017, 12:18 AM
Elite Member

The front row of halves, the first row..the left one...looks like maybe 3 silvers....

Old 09-07-2017, 12:28 AM
Elite Member

Keep the wheat pennies to remember him by. Spend the rest but sell the ikes to a local coin shop.

Old 09-10-2017, 03:01 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Uncletroy View post
Keep the wheat pennies to remember him by. Spend the rest but sell the ikes to a local coin shop.
Never sold mine, their offer was .75c on the dollar.

When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors.