Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   River Team 6 Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > What's the Value?

Old 07-20-2017, 02:14 PM

Default Need Your Two Cents on this 2-cent piece

I found this in the yard of a family member two years ago. His property has had a home on it for well over 150 years. I really never did much to it. Still has some dirt embedded on it since I'm afraid to clean it. Is this coin worth getting graded? What would be your best guess to its value?
I have found 2 other 2-cent pieces but one had a hole drilled through the center of it and the other was no where as nice as this beauty.
Thanks for looking !
Attached Images

Old 07-20-2017, 04:14 PM
Elite Member

Location: Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and Kansas

Originally Posted by pballwiz View post
I found this in the yard of a family member two years ago. His property has had a home on it for well over 150 years. I really never did much to it. Still has some dirt embedded on it since I'm afraid to clean it. Is this coin worth getting graded? What would be your best guess to its value?
I have found 2 other 2-cent pieces but one had a hole drilled through the center of it and the other was no where as nice as this beauty.
Thanks for looking !
IMO not worth the money to get graded.
While very nice it is not a desired date or type, even in the lower uncirculated condition it would not come close to $100...and this one isn't that good.
Plus, it has that dreaded "Environmental Damage".
In EF grade maybe about $50 if that, shipping and grading costs would eat that up if you sent it in to a professional grading service.

Just take it to a good coin dealer, get his opinion, buy a nice holder and enjoy it as is.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:49 PM

I Agree with DIGGER....The key to all 2 cent pieces is the word WE on the reverse...This one is exceptional in that the WE is still readable...usually its worn off....At best I agree with DIGGER..$50.00 Tops

Old 07-21-2017, 10:50 PM
Elite Member

Nice condition for a dug Two Cent Piece but not worth spending any money to get it graded.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:41 PM
Supporter

Nice coin but I agree, nice holder and show it off but don't waste your money on grading!!!