Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Colonial Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Other Forums > Family Friendly Topics

Old 06-02-2017, 06:19 PM
Elite Member

Default .17 hmr

Picked up a Savage .17 HMR, bolt action.

My scope got here last night, a Bushnell Banner Dusk-to-Dawn 4 by 12 x 40mm.

Cant wait to mount it and bore sight it.

Once zeroed I will have a nice setup.

Always wanted one, ever since they first came out.

Once my hay field is cut, I'll set up a 100 yard zero target.

Excited.

Old 06-02-2017, 06:35 PM
Elite Member

Sorry, put this in the wrong place.

My apologies.

Old 06-03-2017, 06:53 AM
Elite Member

Nice rifle I have the same one!

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:09 AM
Elite Member

There fun little rifles, I've got one also.

Old 06-03-2017, 08:14 AM
Supporter

Thats like the perfect Fox tipper over! Knocks them flat and does not tear them up like the 22-250 can....Do you call? I use a crow call a lot when calling in yotes and fox...that and a TalleyHo...Fox and yotes will come into a crow call on account of they know they are safe if crows are around...Hang a few scraps of black plastic trash bags on some weeds off to the side of where you set up, like a murder of crows have gathered to feast on something...let us see a pic of your rig!

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

Old 06-03-2017, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Mud-puppy View post
Thats like the perfect Fox tipper over! Knocks them flat and does not tear them up like the 22-250 can....Do you call? I use a crow call a lot when calling in yotes and fox...that and a TalleyHo...Fox and yotes will come into a crow call on account of they know they are safe if crows are around...Hang a few scraps of black plastic trash bags on some weeds off to the side of where you set up, like a murder of crows have gathered to feast on something...let us see a pic of your rig!
That's a smart idea, I'll have to remember that

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Old 06-03-2017, 10:58 AM
Elite Member

Mud Puppy, I'll bet your like a Ninja out in the woods with your trapping and life experiences . That garbage bag trick is dang near genius. When you write your memoirs, let us know, I think a lot of them city folk could learn from your bag o tricks, and some of country folks could pick up a few pointers as well.

Old 06-03-2017, 03:58 PM
Elite Member

Nice rifle, i was always very interested in that round, seems like a great little shooter!
How much do rounds cost?

Old 06-03-2017, 05:55 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Mud-puppy View post

Here it is....

Everything loose fitted, waiting for my field to get mowed so I can have room to sight it in properly.
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2017, 05:59 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by zeemang View post
Nice rifle, i was always very interested in that round, seems like a great little shooter!
How much do rounds cost?

Walmart has them around $12 for box of 50....

Old 06-04-2017, 06:55 AM
Supporter

Nice looking rig there! Left hand even!

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

Old 06-04-2017, 07:53 AM
Elite Member

I see you're a southpawme too question for you do you swing your metal detector right or left handed 17 HMR is a sweet little round not too expensive to shoot either I had a Ruger 77 but sold it a few years back was looking at the CZ 17 in left hand good luck with your new rig I know you will be happy with it. Mark

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

Old 06-04-2017, 12:55 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by markinswpa View post
I see you're a southpawme too question for you do you swing your metal detector right or left handed 17 HMR is a sweet little round not too expensive to shoot either I had a Ruger 77 but sold it a few years back was looking at the CZ 17 in left hand good luck with your new rig I know you will be happy with it. Mark

Actually, I'm a righty, left eye dominant.

My dad taught me to shoot before we realized I was left eye dominant, but I switched a few years later. Shoot equally well, both hands.

Shot lefty in the Army too, never used a brass deflector. M-16, M-203, M-60.....

I have swung the detector lefty on occasion, not a big struggle.

Old 06-04-2017, 01:15 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by markinswpa View post

My dad taught me to shoot before we realized I was left eye dominant, but I switched a few years later. Shoot equally well, both hands.

Shot lefty in the Army too, never used a brass deflector. M-16, M-203, M-60.....

Old 06-04-2017, 04:07 PM

Nice Rifle with a good heavy barrel. I've had a savage or marlin .22mag in form my entire adult life! I use it mostly for squirrel after the leave thin out. Was going to buy a Savage 93 FV-SR but lucked into a used Sako full stock .222 for a $100 more.

Old 06-04-2017, 06:33 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Bill_Ace_350 View post

Same here left eye dominant didn't know that till basic training had trouble zeroing my weapon so the drill sergeant decided to give me a master eye test guess what Lefty has been somewhat of a handicapped with most things in my life started swinging the metal detector right-handed but after some nerve damage to my right shoulder I had to learn to swing Lefty feels about the same as trying to throw a ball left handed oh well I have all my limbs so I guess I'm fortunate in that respect. Good luck and happy Hunting