Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > What's the Value?

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-20-2017, 11:58 PM
Barracuda's Avatar
Barracuda Barracuda is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Illinois
Posts: 651
Default My first gold coin. Super tiny! (Bought)

I found this thing at a antique store for a few bucks. It's a replica of a 50 peso

Any idea on value




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

__________________
XP Deus Garrett pro pin pointer Model 55 Barracuda Shovel - 2017's Oldest coin 1851 US Large Cent - 1700's Chinese Cash Coin

Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 05-21-2017, 07:12 AM
amc rulz's Avatar
amc rulz amc rulz is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: southern mich
Posts: 2,197
Default

Originally Posted by Barracuda View post
I found this thing at a antique store for a few bucks. It's a replica of a 50 peso

Any idea on value




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Super tiny? 50 Pesos are HUUUGE!
One of my favorite gold coins, .900 fine and over 1.2 ozt in gold. Not sure the value of your replica, or it's metal content.

__________________
Explorer 2/Etrac

When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors.

Reply With Quote


  #3  
Old 05-21-2017, 09:18 AM
Barracuda's Avatar
Barracuda Barracuda is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Illinois
Posts: 651
Default

Originally Posted by amc rulz View post
Super tiny? 50 Pesos are HUUUGE!

One of my favorite gold coins, .900 fine and over 1.2 ozt in gold. Not sure the value of your replica, or it's metal content.


This is smaller than a dime. Don't know much about it. I can't find why they would even make the tiny thing


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

__________________
XP Deus Garrett pro pin pointer Model 55 Barracuda Shovel - 2017's Oldest coin 1851 US Large Cent - 1700's Chinese Cash Coin

Reply With Quote


  #4  
Old 05-21-2017, 10:12 AM
Larbo's Avatar
Larbo Larbo is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Japan
Posts: 146
Default

I have found 2 gold coins including this but I don't count this one. It is a 2 Peso made into the setting of a K18/PT900 ring. The 1945 2 Peso was restruck at least once and maybe a few times so I'm pretty sure that it isn't an original coin. This coin is a little smaller than a dime also so I think a 50 Peso would be a lot bigger.

Sorry for all of the typos in my post. I am using my phone.
Attached Images
  
Reply With Quote


  #5  
Old 05-21-2017, 10:29 AM
amc rulz's Avatar
amc rulz amc rulz is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: southern mich
Posts: 2,197
Default

Originally Posted by Barracuda View post
This is smaller than a dime. Don't know much about it. I can't find why they would even make the tiny thing


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You'd have to test it for composition/purity. There are many copies on sites such as Alibaba selling for around $2-$5 for full size replicas. Could be anything from gold-plated brass to 14k 1/20 gf, to plated silver or who knows what.

__________________
Explorer 2/Etrac

When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors.

Reply With Quote


  #6  
Old 05-21-2017, 10:34 AM
amc rulz's Avatar
amc rulz amc rulz is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: southern mich
Posts: 2,197
Default

Originally Posted by Larbo View post
I have found 2 gold coins including this but I don't count this one. It is a 2 Peso made into the setting of a K18/PT900 ring. The 1945 2 Peso was restruck at least once and maybe a few times so I'm pretty sure that it isn't an original coin. This coin is a little smaller than a dime also so I think a 50 Peso would be a lot bigger.

Sorry for all of the typos in my post. I am using my phone.
Yep, gold 50 peso is roughly the same size as a Morgan dollar. They are gigantic.

__________________
Explorer 2/Etrac

When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors.

Reply With Quote


  #7  
Old 06-03-2017, 11:18 PM
pawaide's Avatar
pawaide pawaide is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Wellsville, New York
Posts: 550
Default

I don't like that it has "COPY" CAST into the coin itself. It sounds like it is about the same size as a 2 peso coin.

OP: Did you get this checked out yet?

Inquiring minds want to know!!

Pawaide

__________________
Politcal correctness is a euphemism for cowardice.
Garrett ATP and PP

Reply With Quote


  #8  
Old 06-09-2017, 12:05 PM
Larbo's Avatar
Larbo Larbo is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Japan
Posts: 146
Default

If it is really gold it might be good for bullion value. If not it is just junk.
Reply With Quote


  #9  
Old 06-09-2017, 01:13 PM
Swinglow's Avatar
Swinglow Swinglow is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: CT
Posts: 4,762
Default

if it's one of those 14k miniatures, $20 or so.

__________________
OBN Modded EXCAL II 2017 TOTALS: (5)Au (23)Ag (10) Rings (8) .925

Reply With Quote


  #10  
Old 11-11-2017, 01:20 AM
diggin4clad's Avatar
diggin4clad diggin4clad is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Eastern Connecticut
Posts: 640
Default

Originally Posted by amc rulz View post
Super tiny? 50 Pesos are HUUUGE!
One of my favorite gold coins, .900 fine and over 1.2 ozt in gold. Not sure the value of your replica, or it's metal content.
Replica coins basically have no real value

__________________
White's M6 Garrett ProPointer White's Digmaster

Reply With Quote


Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.