Pocket Watch ??

Jburkes80

I found this while looking for my cousins engagement ring. Is it silver ? What are the markings ?
ff6e1977a3b6732c168eac8cb5b177ae.jpg
5eff15f65623fb7bcb364446e235d579.jpg
ccb78827e9c32614f1554dae050712d4.jpg
f5fed5f8629b95c73beda3f2c64564c8.jpg

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

cant read the marks, yes its part of a pocket watch. The number are serial numbers the others i can only read jf . could be markers initials but i cant read other hall mark. can you type it or get better photo of that one mark? looks like it could be silver, silver filled at the least.

JP Stevens. They were in operation from 1882-1887. They didn't seem to make any silver. They had gilt and nickel models

JP Stevens. They were in operation from 1882-1887. They didn't seem to make any silver. They had gilt and nickel models

you sure? clearly looks like an f to me and nickel wouldn't come out of the ground looking like that

you sure? clearly looks like an f to me and nickel wouldn't come out of the ground looking like that

I can't be 100% but I see JP and looking at their history it only shows gilt and nickel maybe plated. Silver doesn't rust and I see rust stains.

Edit. If you look at the bezel you can see where the plating has chipped off.

I am sorry I got on the iPad and that could be JF, so I could be wrong on maker. Still believe it is plated..

Here's a couple cropped photos
af4f1853b74bd19a4b904bcf80f1595b.jpg

What you want to look at is not the PFH but the Argent marking in your picture.

That small chevron with the notation "Argent" is the Nuechatel hallmark for silver.

"The Chevron was the hallmark used at Neuchâtel from the 1700's until the 1880's. The added word "argent" would distinguish the metal used as silver (obviously) in opposition to the stand-alone Chevron which would indicate 18k gold. The minimum fineness for silver from Neuchâtel was 812.5/1000 for many, many years. The Chevron hallmark was merely superceded in 1881/1882 when the Swiss Federal Government assumed control of hallmarking from the Cantons."

Attachments

• IMG_5337.jpg
    IMG_5337.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 228
Well I feel like a complete idiot Jburkes. I am very sorry if I took away from your find because it is an awesome find, even before finding out the history and the fact that it is indeed silver. Congrats guy and once again I am very sorry. I still have a lot to learn and first will be to keep my mouth shut :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Well I feel like a complete idiot Jburkes. I am very sorry if I took away from your find because it is an awesome find, even before finding out the history and the fact that it is indeed silver. Congrats guy and once again I am very sorry. I still have a lot to learn and first will be to keep my mouth shut :laughing::laughing::laughing:
Its all good. Thanks for the help !

What you want to look at is not the PFH but the Argent marking in your picture.

That small chevron with the notation "Argent" is the Nuechatel hallmark for silver.

"The Chevron was the hallmark used at Neuchâtel from the 1700's until the 1880's. The added word "argent" would distinguish the metal used as silver (obviously) in opposition to the stand-alone Chevron which would indicate 18k gold. The minimum fineness for silver from Neuchâtel was 812.5/1000 for many, many years. The Chevron hallmark was merely superceded in 1881/1882 when the Swiss Federal Government assumed control of hallmarking from the Cantons."
Thanks !!

Is there a way to find date by serial number ??

Unfortunately, You won't find any records of case serial numbers.
1870's-1880 is as close as you'll get.

My 2nd hobby is antique pocket watch repair and collecting.
So I always enjoy seeing these finds. Very nice

Back
Top Bottom