Another class ring...

pplinker

Forum Supporter
This fits my little finger so well and the stone is just beautiful. Sterling silver, 1981. I'd like to keep it. The last one I returned the guy didn't even seem that appreciative. I'd like to keep this in my ring pouch but I have to give it back. I wish it wasn't a class ring with someone's initials. I'm only going to keep it for a week, then i'll try to find the owner.

It registered 94 on my XP Deus like a quarter. I will give it up of course. Why can't people loose their diamond rings that don't have any identification?

Attachments

• DSC00216.JPG
    DSC00216.JPG
    145.6 KB · Views: 221
  • DSC00217.JPG
    DSC00217.JPG
    160.3 KB · Views: 191
  • DSC00218.JPG
    DSC00218.JPG
    157.7 KB · Views: 192
Big Congrats! It's probably a girl's ring. She might show some appreciation for its return.

YES it is a girls ring and I'm a girl or woman rather. I don't want no girl's appreciation. When the I returned the last class ring the guy didn't even shake my hand and it happened to be clean. Some big huffy puffy in the oil industry.

Nice find! Returning the ring is a very honorable deed; thank you for doing that. :grin:

When the I returned the last class ring the guy didn't even shake my hand and it happened to be clean. Some big huffy puffy in the oil industry.

That's because it's a HIGH school class ring. If people want sentiment, they'll look at their yearbook.

I've never had any be more than passingly amused that I've returned a class ring, half the time, they don't even bother to say "thank you." One guy had me leave it on his parents porch. "if you still have it, you can leave it on my parent's porch."

Even HE thought I'd get rid of it, or melt it. LOL

Personally, I think most of the "Oh, they were SOOO happy stories," are people astonished that they got it back, and that the return experience was "fun"... but ultimately the ring went into a box somewhere and was promptly forgotten again. It's a HIGH school class ring, for goodness sake...I suppose there's some genuinely happy people who look at high school as the best part of their life... I've just not been in a position to meet any of them. *laughs* Your oil executive was probably not one of them, either.

This is NOT to knock folks who choose to dig up the original owners and give it to them... I just spend more time looking for the owners of wedding rings, than I do class rings, as I'd think that the wedding ring sentiment is far more valuable than the class ring ones... Still never been able to find an owner of a wedding ring.. :(

Enjoy the find!

Last edited:
Nice find! Do with it as you will...theres no right or wrong concerning......do what you feel you can live with...bad experiences on ring returns are also sort of a funny adventure that we would have not experienced if it werent for this amazing Sport! Pirate or Philanthropist, you decide! :laughing:

That's because it's a HIGH school class ring. If people want sentiment, they'll look at their yearbook.

I've never had any be more than passingly amused that I've returned a class ring, half the time, they don't even bother to say "thank you." One guy had me leave it on his parents porch. "if you still have it, you can leave it on my parent's porch."

Even HE thought I'd get rid of it, or melt it. LOL

Personally, I think most of the "Oh, they were SOOO happy stories," are people astonished that they got it back, and that the return experience was "fun"... but ultimately the ring went into a box somewhere and was promptly forgotten again. It's a HIGH school class ring, for goodness sake...I suppose there's some genuinely happy people who look at high school as the best part of their life... I've just not been in a position to meet any of them. *laughs* Your oil executive was probably not one of them, either.

This is NOT to knock folks who choose to dig up the original owners and give it to them... I just spend more time looking for the owners of wedding rings, than I do class rings, as I'd think that the wedding ring sentiment is far more valuable than the class ring ones... Still never been able to find an owner of a wedding ring.. :(

Enjoy the find!

I don't know if I'd look for weeding ring owners. I know where my wedding ring is because I threw it there after my divorce. Don't know what I'd say if someone tried to give it back to me. Of course that was before I was into metal detecting. Maybe it'll give another newbie a thrill one day.

I don't know if I'd look for weeding ring owners. I know where my wedding ring is because I threw it there after my divorce. Don't know what I'd say if someone tried to give it back to me. Of course that was before I was into metal detecting. Maybe it'll give another newbie a thrill one day.

If someone every returned my wedding ring from my first marriage I would happily thank them. At least now I know places it can be sent to be melted down and I could at least get a few bucks out of it. Heck if it was a detectorist I would probably just tell them to send it to ARA and keep the money.

Nice find. I hate it when people don't show appreciation for getting their stuff back. It annoys me a lot. I'm not expecting a reward or anything like that, a simple 'thank you' would do.

That's a pretty one, Congrats on finding it! I bought a class ring for my wife earlier this year when she graduated college, she is 46 and graduated magna cum laude with a bachelors degree in business administration, I was very proud of her so I got her a gold signet from Jostens. One thing I didn't know until then was their rings are protected for four years against loss. Makes you wonder how many have been returned by people like us that have already been replaced. I agree with Skippy, there really isn't a lot of sentiment with high school stuff, especially 40 years later. Still very honorable to try and return though. Congrats on your find!

That's a pretty one, Congrats on finding it! I bought a class ring for my wife earlier this year when she graduated college, she is 46 and graduated magna cum laude with a bachelors degree in business administration, I was very proud of her so I got her a gold signet from Jostens. One thing I didn't know until then was their rings are protected for four years against loss. Makes you wonder how many have been returned by people like us that have already been replaced. I agree with Skippy, there really isn't a lot of sentiment with high school stuff, especially 40 years later. Still very honorable to try and return though. Congrats on your find!

Congratulations on your wife's accomplishment and good on you to buy her a graduation ring!

Thanks to all for the replies. I don't feel so bad now, I'm always tempted to keep what I find. The ring is too small for my ring finger and it falls off the little finger. May wait till my daughter visits and see if she wants to track down the owner. She goes through my finds and googles any unusual thing with writing.

You divorced guys, those were some funny stories. Hope things are better now.

Congratulations on your wife's accomplishment and good on you to buy her a graduation ring!

Thanks to all for the replies. I don't feel so bad now, I'm always tempted to keep what I find. The ring is too small for my ring finger and it falls off the little finger. May wait till my daughter visits and see if she wants to track down the owner. She goes through my finds and googles any unusual thing with writing.

You divorced guys, those were some funny stories. Hope things are better now.

I mostly keep what I find. I'll check the local lost and found pages to see if there's anything that I've found, but I won't hand it into the police or 'search' for the owner (unless of course it's a wallet or phone). If they're desperate to get their jewellery back, then surely they'll post a lost property ad. Just my opinion :)

\

HAHAHA!!! That's awesome. :) On SO many levels.

Sometimes, getting rid of that ring is very cathartic. I know my sister literally dropped hers in my hand and said, "Melt it, and keep the money, I don't want to have anything to do with it."

She seemed very liberated once it was done. :)

I try, though, because it's unlikely a divorcee decided to huck the ring beside the volleyball court, or on the parent's line of the soccer field. :)

I mostly keep what I find. I'll check the local lost and found pages to see if there's anything that I've found, but I won't hand it into the police or 'search' for the owner (unless of course it's a wallet or phone). If they're desperate to get their jewellery back, then surely they'll post a lost property ad. Just my opinion :)

TOTALLY agree (with the lost property ads). If it's that important, they'll be posting a free ad on craigslist (or in the paper) for a year or more (there's a gal here that's been doing it for two years... I know she's still interested!)

When people stop looking for it... well, they've stopped looking for it. LOL

Skippy

Back
Top Bottom