Quick park strip hunt. Silver Dime, Crustiest War Nickel ever! UPDATED BELOW.

Stiffwrists

Elite Member
Anyone have any information on this weird medallion? Check out the crud on the war nickel! How would you clean it up?

UPDATE: SEE BELOW FOR POSTED CLEAN PICS.

Attachments

• 20171031_171313_resized.jpg
    20171031_171313_resized.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 432
  • 20171031_171217_resized.jpg
    20171031_171217_resized.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 417
  • 20171031_171325_resized.jpg
    20171031_171325_resized.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 417
Last edited:
Congrats on the nice finds! The medallion looks like a Buddhist monk amulet. Buddhists wear them like Catholics wear religious medals of saints and whatnot. The chain definitely looks Asian because a lot of Asian gold and silver have those W shaped clasps. As for the war nickel...try soaking it in ammonia for 5-10 minutes at a time and then toothbrushing it between soaks. For a thick crust like that, you might have to whack it with a hammer like Jamflicker described doing in another thread. http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=253235

Congrats on the nice finds! The medallion looks like a Buddhist monk amulet. Buddhists wear them like Catholics wear religious medals of saints and whatnot. The chain definitely looks Asian because a lot of Asian gold and silver have those W shaped clasps. As for the war nickel...try soaking it in ammonia for 5-10 minutes at a time and then toothbrushing it between soaks. For a thick crust like that, you might have to whack it with a hammer like Jamflicker described doing in another thread. http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=253235

Thanks on the information on the medallion. I'll try the ammonia on the nickel. This forum is so helpful!

Thanks on the information on the medallion. I'll try the ammonia on the nickel. This forum is so helpful!

I've heard of others having good success with naval jelly like beephead mentioned. Let us know how it cleans up and what method(s) you used.:)

I've heard of others having good success with naval jelly like beephead mentioned. Let us know how it cleans up and what method(s) you used.:)

Sorry for the dumb question. How do you use the Naval Jelly? Soak it? Is Naval Jelly thick and gooey like petroleum Jelly?

I've never tried using Naval Jelly on a war nickel, but I did try it once on a regular nickel and it turned a really ugly reddish color. I would definitely not do that again. War nickels might be a different story though.

Medallion could be ghandi but not sure if he had a mustache?

Thanks. I think Waveoff was correct about it being a Thai Buddist medallion. I was able to find one similar online. Not sure of the age of it through. The mouth area is blurred out in the design to represent a vow of silence.

Electrolysis will clean that up in no time...just find an old phone recharger you don't need, splice the lines (you can determine negative and positive with a cheap voltage meter at Home Depot) and then attach those wires to alligator clips (red (positive) and black (negative).

Find an old ratty metal spoon and a pint glass you don't care about - fill the glass with warm salt water, attach the negative clip to the top end of the handle of the spoon and the positive clip to the coin, then submerge the coin.

THEN PLUG INTO THE OUTLET...

You should start to see the coin fizz after about 5-10 seconds, if it doesn't just UNPLUG, and switch the alligator clips. Once the fizzing starts watch the gunk just fall off in droves, it's crazy, especially with silver coins.

Good luck!

Be sure to put the spoon in the water as well with the coin, but don't let them touch. The clip attached to the coin can go into the water with the coin, that's fine.

Make sure the clip on the spoon goes on the end of the handle, don't put that clip in the water, or ....ZAAPP!

Back
Top Bottom