Penny Trifecta - Flying High!!

AirmetTango

Forum Supporter
I got a great new permission on a property that once held sites for an old one room school and a church, and I was so excited to get started swinging on the site that I spent some time there today despite intermittent drizzle. Initially I wasn’t having any luck at all – in fact, I started getting worried that I had another complete bust on my hands when a promising dime signal showing 6” down ended up being a dime sized piece of can slaw! The last think I expected or wanted considering the history this site had was to be digging Bud cans up from half a foot down! Despite the growing concern, I continued the hunt, and my perseverance was eventually “rewarded” with some older clad – a copper Memorial penny and a 70s nickel. But after about 45 minutes, I still only had my 6 cents and a good amount of trash to show for my efforts. At that point the rain started again, so me and my non-waterproof detector retreated to the car for some lunch, and I considered calling it a day and returning on a better weather day.

Within about 20 minutes there was a break in the rain, so I decided to spend a little more time on the site. So glad I did! I moved to a slightly different location on the site, and within a couple minutes I had a solid 83-84 signal indicating about 2-4” down. Fully expecting to extract another copper Memorial, I was pleasantly surprised to pull out a Wheatie with a patchy green patina – 1913! Now that’s more like it! Encouraged by the older find, I continued to concentrate in the immediate area, and I soon found a couple more copper Memorials from the 70’s and early 80s all in the 2-4” range as well. There was a lot less trash too, so when a solid 62-63 signal popped up showing 6” depth, it was an easy decision to dig. After cutting the plug, I was intrigued to pull out a penny shaped object at about the 4 or 5” mark, completely encrusted with dirt:

CrustyEagle.jpg

Never having had a penny ring that low, I immediately rechecked the hole expecting to find something that was dragging down the signal, but it was clean. Then I waved the penny-sized dirt wad under the coil – solid 63! Now I was pretty excited, because even Indian Head pennies ring much higher than that on the Ace. I was pretty sure I had something good – maybe a trade token or something – but I didn’t want to do any rubbing in the field and risk doing damage. I continued hunting for another 20 minutes, finding a couple more copper memorials, another Wheat, and part of an old key, before the rain started up again and heavy enough to force me to wrap up for good.

Arriving home, I went straight to the sink to give the interesting finds a gentle cleaning with dish soap and water. It didn’t take long to learn that my “mystery coin” is an 1857 Flying Eagle cent!! She’s a little toasty, but not bad shape for a 160 year old coin that’s lived in the dirt for maybe a century or so :grin: In fact, with a magnifying glass, you can make out good detail – the eagle’s eye, and the feathers on the wings, etc. I absolutely love the coin (my new “oldest”) – and a slick way to earn a “one cent” trifecta! Some might call it cheating using a Memorial, but the Flying Eagle makes up for it :D

I’m definitely stoked to head back to the site – maybe as early as tomorrow! Not sure it can top the Eagle, but it’ll sure be fun to try!! I’ve only hunted less than a 10th of the site, so I’m pretty confident there’ll be more goodies to unearth!

Here’s the rest of the photos for the hunt:

Keepers1030.jpg

FlyingEagleFront.jpg

FlyingEagleBack.jpg

All the dug trash:

Trash1030.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! Great finds, congrats! Flying eagle is still high on my bucket list! It is the only American cent coin I have not found.

Congrats on a very rare find !
Yours is actually in better condition most of the ones I've seen found.
And yes, from what I've seen, Flying Eagle cents do come in on lower numbers than Indian's and the other types of Cents.

Last edited:
Congrats on the FE :wow:... I'm still looking for mine also.. fingers crossed..

Wow! Great finds, congrats! Flying eagle is still high on my bucket list! It is the only American cent coin I have not found.

Thanks, remmy! I'm still giddy about finding it - who knew finding a penny could be so exciting - but this one is truly a rare bird! I've lucked out and got all of the small cents out of the way in my first year of detecting - now I've gotta set my sights on the large cents! :grin:

Congrats on a very rare find !
Yours is actually in better condition most of the ones I've seen found.
And yes, from what I've seen, Flying Eagle cents do come in on lower numbers than Indian's and the other types of Cents.

Thanks Etrac-OH! I'm definitely pleased with the overall condition! My only experience with Indian Heads is an 1864 I found, and if I remember right, it rang in the Zincoln range - interesting, because the IHPs from '59 to '64 have the same composition as the Flying Eagle (88% copper, 12% nickel). Makes me think they would ring about the same - but clearly not?? The later IHPs were 95% copper, so makes sense that they would ring more like Wheats and copper memorials, and much higher than the Flying Eagle. Do later IHPs ring up like Wheats, I wonder?

Stellar!
A flying eagle...high on the bucket list of many that have been in this hobby for years including me!

Thanks, Digger! I clearly had a little luck on my side for this one! I've had lots of practice digging pennies though - all that practice finally paid off! :laughing:

Congrats on all the nice finds!

Congrats! Still looking for mine

Congrats on the FE :wow:... I'm still looking for mine also.. fingers crossed..

A flying eagle cent?! Congrats on the outstanding find!

Thanks guys! Definitely one of my favorite finds so far!

Crusted but not busted! LOL! Good job....

I definitely can't complain about the overall condition! I'll take crusted over busted :grin:

What a very nice fine. Congratulations on the flying eagle and a reins guide:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Royal Congrats on that great flying eagle! That penny is over 50 years older than KT's oldest IH ! :lol::lol: You did good not to try and clean it in the field...rubbing around on it without a good soak and rinse would have caused a lot of damage.

Awesome find with the flying eagle. Chances of finding one of them is so slim I won't even add it to my bucket list. Good shape as well. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to look that good when I'm 150.

Huge congratulations on the flying eagle!
Even though I have found over 100 injuns over the past two years, I have not had a sniff of an FE.

Back
Top Bottom