Favorite Detectors!

DetecTom

I know, I know- there is no such thing as the “best” detector- HOWEVER, there can definitely be a favorite detector. So what’s everybody’s favorite detector and why? Pics are welcome too 😁

The one I happen to be using at the time , I choose between three . I don't plan on buying any more . These three should last me until I am unable to detect any more and I'm no spring chicken .

My At pro. Descriptive audio,I can cherry pick by discing out certain things.
I love my Equinox 800 fully adjustable and finds silver in irony areas. Also works in saltwater. It's pretty light too.
Love using my Minelab Sovereign at saltwater beaches,has smooth calming tones and it has the digital number display which helps.

My At pro. Descriptive audio,I can cherry pick by discing out certain things.
I love my Equinox 800 fully adjustable and finds silver in irony areas. Also works in saltwater. It's pretty light too.
Love using my Minelab Sovereign at saltwater beaches,has smooth calming tones and it has the digital number display which helps.

Those are all fantastic machines, especially the AT Pro- that thing is a treasure magnet. I’ve heard nothing but good about those. The Minelab Sovereign is a really neat machine too, and I’m sure that thing performs awesome on the beach. Thanks for your input on that!

I like all Detectors,like soil surgeon said,the one I’m using is my favorite..I don’t like the companies though,they’re all out to get us in one way or another.

I will say this though,Nokta/Makro are a force to be reckoned with in this hobbie.They actually listen to what people want,change it and change it again until the consumer is satisfied..No other company I’m aware of even communicates with us,the buyers...They're not my favorite brand,,but I gotta give them the respect they’ve earned in such a short period of time.

I appreciate the feedback, and I understand that the one you’re using would be your most likely choice- but my question is -what one is it??? That was the main point I was going for.

Tom, I see you're not only new to the Forum, but you're also new to the hobby. I can assure you that if you put in the time and effort to learn your detector and coils, have the patience to work a variety of sites to get a better understanding of the equipment you use and how it handles different environments/conditions, and put in some research to find new or different sites, you'll have what it takes to really enjoy this great sport.

DetecTom said:
I know, I know- there is no such thing as the “best” detector-
I'm wrapping up my 55th year and start on #56 in just 3½ months. I have owned sand used hundreds of detectors, and started learning their strengths and weaknesses way back in '71 and '72 with side-by-side and in-the-field comparisons. And since those earlier years I have very frequently expressed the very thought that there is no such thing as a 'perfect' metal detector.

Matter-of-fact, you can have a very good detector but get lousy performance in some applications if you're using a wrong coil. Or, you might have a low-quality or poor performing detector, but switch to a different coil and get some improved performance out of it. The important thing is to spend the time to learn a detector well. Know both its strengths and weaknesses. Also, since none are 'perfect' then it makes sense to invest in more than one detector ... perhaps own at least 2 or maybe 3 or 4 ... that can complement each other and allow you to grab the better tool for the task at hand.

DetecTom said:
HOWEVER, there can definitely be a favorite detector. So what’s everybody’s favorite detector and why?
My favorite 'tool' is a quick-change screwdriver where I can quickly switch between a flat or Phillips head. I have one on my desk in my den. I have one in my metal detector parts kit.

However, while that's my 'favorite' tool, it doesn't handle all my needs and at times I'll grab a pair of pliers, a wrench or a hammer. The nifty and versatile screwdriver will take care of a lot of everyday fixes, but there are challenging times when I am better served with a different tool.

The same applies to metal detectors. In my current Detector Outfit I do have a 'favorite' detector, or more, that I could take along with me all the time and use it for many, many applications. If almost all of my detecting is just going to be the traditional urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting I might consider my Tesoro Bandido II microMAX my 'favorite', or it could be my Silver Sabre microMAX or my wonderful modified White's IDX Pro, ... if I felt the need for some form of visual Target ID.

I notice you also have an IDX Pro as the only detector listed, and that's with the big 950 Concentric coil. I have used these since the IDX was first released and had a little involvement in them getting the first run 'fixed' for proper operation. My IDX Pro has the modifications, done by Keith Southern and based on those originally done by "Mr. Bill" . That provides an external Threshold control and a 1-turn manual Ground Balance control. Trust me, this makes the IDX Pro a very simple to use but versatile detector.

I keep every detector in my Outfit at-the-ready to be grabbed sand put to use with their most efficient search coil, too. My modified IDX Pro keeps a 6½" Concentric coil mounted. I do have an 8" Concentric on a spare lower rod in my Accessory Coil Tote for quick changes when needed. The 6½" Concentric sees about 90% or more use on the IDX Pro.

All the Tesoro models I mentioned keep a 6" Concentric coil mounted full-time, and they also have a standard 8" Concentric on a standard lower rod in the A.C.T., but almost never use anything but the 6".

Any of these three models can be carried full-time and used for just about any applications. They are my favorites for hitting tot-lot playgrounds, sidewalk repair, urban renovation work, and also serve me well in ghost towns, homesteads, old picnic groves, encampments, and just about anywhere I want to hunt. They are a 'favorite' because they are simple yet very good performers in iron contamination and common trash.

Thata said, there are times whe I like to use a different 'tool' and for that I also have some other 'favorite' models in my Outfit. Those include the following for special applications where a different tool becomes a favorite choice.

For dedicated Relic Hunting in the many ghost towns, homesteads, mining and logging camps, pioneer and military encampments, outbuildings, bunkhouses, old picnic groves and resort locations, or around dance hall sites and so-on, and so-on ... where I know the bulk of my trash is going to be nails, other wire-iron or flat iron type debris, my Relic Hunting Outfit 'favorites' include my Nokta FORS CoRe w/small 'OOR' DD coil, a FORS Relic w/5" DD coil, a Tesoro Bandido II microMAX w/6" Concentric coil, and an XP ORX w/5X9½ DD HF coil.

Each of these is a 'favorite' for taking on dense iron plagued sites, and since none are 'perfect' I grab the 'favorite' that I feel best suits the challenges at a particular site.

I also put in some time Coin Hunting typical urban locations, too, and those could be tot-lots, parks and schools, other public easements, private yards, vacant lots, demolition sites, sidewalk tear-ups and other renovation work. Different conditions and different types of trash, but I have my 'favorite' models in my Coin & Jewelry Hunting Outfit.

For working any or all of these urban site encounters I might select from these 'favorites' from my C&J Outfit: A Makro Racer 2 w/7" Concentric coil, modified IDX Pro w/6½" Concentric coil, Tesoro Silver Sabre microMAX w/6" Concentric coil or an XP ORX w/9" X35 DD coil.

I do have one additional model I might grab for any application, and this model has been a 'favorite' since 1994, and that is my White's XLT. I keep a 6½" Concentric coil mounted on it most of the time, and opt for an 8" Concentric coil for hunting more open areas. The XLT and modified IDX Pro share the same search coils so my A.C.T. has some ready for quick-change with either unit as desired for the site conditions.

When I stared out using Metal/Mineral Locators in March of '65 I had a 'favorite' and that was the one I just built. In the following years when I built a newer unit, it seemed to be a 'favorite.' In the summer of '68 I started using a factory produced White's Ghosttowner BFO w/6" wooden search coil and, at the time, it was certainly my 'favorite.'

In May of '71 I bought a new White's S63 TR and it became a 'favorite' .... but I learned that a different unit I got did some things a little better in certain applications, so it was also a 'favorite' for different needs.

Note: Since you're new to the hobby, and quite probably on the younger side, let me explain that at that time in '68 to '71 those detectors I had didn't have Discrimination, didn't have Silent-Search Discrimination, didn't have Ground Balance that came about '74/'75, didn't have motion-based Disc. that came in '78. Visual Target ID didn't arrive until '83, audio Tone ID about '84 and all the other nifty stuff we find on many detectors today.

Some search coils, like on my GhostTowner BFO, were made of wood with the wire-windings between the two pressed-together pieces, and the coils were mounted to the rod in a rigid position by having two bolts that poked through holes in the lower rod and tightened with washers and nuts. Many detector rods were one piece and not adjustable, and many rods only had compression fittings and no snap-lock buttons to hold them in alignment.

Detectors were often over-sized, used batteries you're likely not going to find today, and the price of them would shock you! They were heavy, many were awkward to handle, and they were a challenge to use compared to what we have today. BUT ... there was a lot to be found, it was a fun pastime, and it was very easy to get hooked!!

But even then, while 1 detector could do a lot and satisfy a 'Hobbyist' some of us became more savvy 'Avid Detectorists' and realized that while we had a 'favorite' pair of boots for hunting or 'favorite' shoes for sports, and neither were our 'favorite' for church or formal affairs, we also soon had 2 or 3 or 4 or as many 'favorite' detectors on-hand to use for different sites we wanted to search.

Some responders here might only own and use 1 detector or possibly 2. That's great, as long as they like them and understand them, and get out and enjoy detecting as often as possible. Fun is what we want to get out of this outdoor sport. Some can't afford more than one or two detectors. Many need to first learn what they have to know if they might want or need an additional unit.

In your case, I know you have a decent and somewhat versatile detector in the White's IDX Pro. It would be a good one to use, and if and when you 'upgrade' to add something different, I would suggest you hang on to the IDX Pro to complement whatever you might get in the future. The one bit of advice I might share would be to improve your detector outfit by getting one of the 6½" (measured diameter) Concenteic search coils. It will make your unit lighter weight and work more handily in trashier places and closer to metal structures. (Those coils could be labeled: Blue Max 600, 5.3 Black Max or 5.3 Bullseye .. but the '5.3' is NOT their size.)

Just some thoughts and my Outfit 'favorites.'

Monte

My favourite at the moment is the Nox, it has eliminated the need for me to own more than 1 detector and various coils as it's 11 inch coil is just so good in iron and on small items, and it cuts through mineralised soil to hit on low/mid conductors better than any single freq detector I've owned.
I mostly hunt for old medieval silver and as such your detecting on sites with 1000+yrs of human activity, and proper old iron, it's technically challenging but very rewarding.

Attachments

• 20191115_101139-600x800.jpg
    20191115_101139-600x800.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 592
  • 20190831_112523-600x800.jpg
    20190831_112523-600x800.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 591
Monte, wow. Seriously, that was fantastic and super informative on all aspects. I REALLY appreciate the advice on the 6.5” concentric coil. Matter of fact, upon your recommendation, I just picked up a Bluemax 600. Any way to improve in different search conditions is exactly what I’m after. I love this IDX Pro and having more coils for it makes it even better.

Again though, everything about your post was incredible. I will keep every word of information from that post which really helps me get a better understanding. By the way, you were right- I’m 30 years old so I didn’t know really anything about the 70’s detectors (until now that is :))

If you could go a little deeper again into the pros of using the 6.5” concentric coil, I would love your input. Exactly what will I see differently when switching from the 950 to the 600 coil?

And ghound, Thank you for sharing your experience with the Nox with me. I feel like that’s a fantastic detector and it’s the most talked about detector from what I can tell. I love medieval silver coins. I have a denier that I really like. It looks very similar to some of the ones you dug up. Really cool!

Tom,

It's good to hear you made the move on a coil. I have one or two extra here in my den I'm going to see, plus one on my XLT and IDX Pro. Glad some of my post was informative.

I'd welcome a discussion on the IDX Pro and coils and anything of interest you might question, and you're welcome to drop me an e-mail and we can keep those discussions off the forum. Unfortunately you're on the opposite side of the country or I'd let you know about a day-long seminar I'm putting together.

Both of my e-mail addresses are in my signature below.

Monte

Ok the light is returning to my eyes.. My favorite detector is the one I click with the most and so far that has been the XP Deus. Why? It’s super light weight and the X/Y screen tells me what I need to know prior to digging up the target.
I also like the tones and can hunt without the LCD Control Module. Let’s throw in those wonderful HF Coils that run excellent in all kinds of ground especially at the beach.
Just my 2 Wheat Pennies. Good luck!

Depends on the hunt. I like my nox 800 with 6 inch coil on trashy home sites for separation. I prefer xp orx for seeded hunts with elliptical coil.

This is all information I like to find out so when I do make any “upgrades” in the future- I know what I’m looking for. I appreciate all the help!

Back
Top Bottom