AT Pro and Equinox field observations

LovestheShiny!

Forum Supporter
Since there seems to be some ongoing discussion about the benefits / limitations of the AT Pro vs the Equinox machines, I thought I'd give some observations...

First some ground rules and background. I own and use a Garrett AT Pro detector that I purchased back in late March of 2017. I have found a ton of coins with this machine (over 500 Silver Coins, over 2,500 wheat pennies, many Sterling Rings, a few gold rings, and lots of really cool stuff including a Hobo Nickel, Wild West trick shooting coin, 4 Silver Peace Dollars, tokens, IHP's and much more) in the last 2 1/2 years. I think I know the AT Pro pretty well and feel I can really understand what it is telling me regarding targets. This comparison is based on actual "in the field" detecting, not a test bed or air tests. When detecting with my friends who use the Nox models, we often compare signals and see how well each type of detector performs on certain targets. Almost all of my detecting friends here in Montana, or out of town friends, use either the Equinox 600 or Equinox 800. I have been quite impressed with the Equinox detectors, and have seen how well they work. In a general sense, they (being multi-freq VLF) are superior to my single freq VLF detector.

My AT Pro settings... Pro Zero, Iron Audio Off, nothing notched out, Max sensitivity, and nothing descriminated out.

The Nox settings that my friends use are generally Park 1 or Park 2, with some minor custom adjustments.

Soil and Climate conditions... moderate mineralization, semi arid climate, coins are not super deep, most within 6-7 inches of the surface. This comparison is for dirt hunting only here in Montana. (I did try my AT Pro at a Seattle WA salt water beach, it did OK in the dry sand but was useless in the shallow salt water and wet sand. The Nox Multi Freq would be far superior to the Pro in this situation).

Nickels - the Nox is rock solid in finding nickels, and gives a very reliable and steady "13" or "12-13" no matter the depth of the coin. The AT Pro will detect that same nickel, but has not as steady a digital readout depending on the depth of the nickel. A surface nickel for the Pro is pretty much a solid "52-53" but on the older deeper Buffalo Nickels and "V" Nickels, the VDI can vary from "48-52." When getting that varying signal, I have had my Nox buddies check out my signal and when they say "nickel" I dig and it has always been a deep nickel.

Pinpointing - I have noticed my Nox friends sometimes have a difficult time pinpointing their targets, especially a shallow target. They have called me over after opening a plug when they have a problem finding the coin with their pinpointer, and I can always nail it down with the AT Pro. I feel the AT Pro pinpoints better than the Nox. I use the "wiggle method" about half the time, and the pinpointer button about half the time.

Depth - the Nox detects deeper than the AT Pro. An example... one time my friend with the Nox 600 and I were detecting up in Great Falls at a 1920's home with newer lawn and extra dirt... he would get a target in the high teens / low 20's on the VDI, and let me know he thought it was a deep wheat penny 9" down. I would swing the AT Pro coil over the target, and just get some undecipherable grunt or nothing at all.

Tones and general VDI readout - I think the AT Pro is somewhat superior in this respect, even with just 3 tones, as I have no doubt as to what I am swinging the coil over. I have done this comparison with my friends many times, and the digital readout is good... I can call wheatie (78-79), copper memorial (80-82), clad dime (81), clad quarter (86-87), or possibly something even nicer like silver, pretty much all the time. Perhaps this has to do with my knowing my machine and digging many thousands of targets with it. One of my friends with the Nox 800 is also quite good at letting me know when he thinks he has a nice "shiny coin" waiting in the ground.

Highly Mineralized soil - the Nox is superior. On one trip, my friend with the Nox 800 and I detected for a day in Butte Montana. I guess there is a reason they called the mines there "The Richest Hill on Earth" as tons of copper, silver and some gold came out of the ground. The soil is highly mineralized, my AT Pro ground balanced at "94" (with a max of "99" possible). The Equinox clearly outperformed my AT Pro in this soil, I did get the same number of silvers as my friend, but my machine seemed extra chatty and did not seem to have much depth. The Equinox was much less affected by the high mineralization.

Trashy ground - the Nox does better here, though the AT Pro is no slouch. When I get close to a home while detecting the front yard, my AT Pro really picks up the roofing nails and small bits of construction debris, and becomes pretty chatty. By slowing down my swing speed a bit, and really listening for even short high tones, I can home in on good targets. The Nox seems to have less an issue with trashy soil.

Build quality - I think the AT Pro wins here, though not by a ton. I've had no issues at all in the years that I've owned my same machine. Some of my buddies have replaced the arm cuff, one a shaft, one a bad coil, and most have gotten rid of the factory earphones and replaced them with something of higher quality.

Ease of operation - Both machines are pretty equal here - as for setting up to detect, my AT Pro is a "power up and detect" machine, while I've seen my friends occassionally spend some time getting their machines ready to detect. Of course, they are adjusting the parameters for optimized detecting.

Summary - FOR WHERE I DETECT (very important) - moderate mineralization, semi arid climate, not super deep coins, not super trashy - the AT Pro does as well as the Nox models.

When detecting with my Nox buddies, our Silver totals, wheat penny totals, clad coins and copper pennies at the end of the hunt are pretty equal. If I lived in an area where the organic build up of soil was significant, with lots of rain, soft soil, and resultant much deeper coins, or consistently highly mineralized soil, the Equinox would definitely be the better choice. Hope this comparison is of help, I am impressed with the Equinox performance, but again, very satisfied with my AT Pro for where I detect and the type of detecting I do. Thanks for your interest!

Last edited:
Nah! Thanks yooper! I like both machines, very happy with my Pro, but overall the Nox is definitely more capable.

Hell i can have fun with any machine . Yes some can do more than others and all will find stuff . I bought the 800&600 and went detecting with some friends and let one of there wives use my 600 and my daughter used my 800 i used my 20 plus year old whites 5900 di pro and found more coins than everyone all shallow clad . But yeah its all about fun .

I have the Equinox 800 and the AT PRO. On the Equinox the nickel hits on 12 much variance from 12 and it's trash most of the time, the number 12 can be trash lots of times. For trashy areas I like the AT PRO better, but I use the sniper coil in trash. For EMI I like the AT PRO better. I like the Equinox for the nickel more than the AT PRO. I like the AT PRO for the silver and clad coins it seems to have better audio and ID numbers than the Equinox.

I have the Equinox 800 and the AT PRO. On the Equinox the nickel hits on 12 much variance from 12 and it's trash most of the time, the number 12 can be trash lots of times. For trashy areas I like the AT PRO better, but I use the sniper coil in trash. For EMI I like the AT PRO better. I like the Equinox for the nickel more than the AT PRO. I like the AT PRO for the silver and clad coins it seems to have better audio and ID numbers than the Equinox.

Graybeard - I agree with your thoughts on these two machines. The Nox is great for nickels, and of course, there is a fair amount of trash esp pull tabs and some can slaw that do ring up as nickels. I do like the AT Pro audio, very smooth sound with no grunt on clad or silver, and copper pennies. As for the EMI issue, there has been a few times where both the Pro and the Nox were affected by it, but generally not an issue where my friends and I detect.

That's a good write up. Sometimes i find if the Nox pinpoints off centre, it turns out to be a coin on edge.
There's other obvious advantages like wet beach and prospecting modes, but the biggy for me is that due to the higher freqs used it's hot on very small silver and gold, a real hoover on medieval sites!

Attachments

• 20190907_083849-600x800.jpg
    20190907_083849-600x800.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 627
Great write up. Not everyone needs the latest greatest anything. I hope everyone finds what works well for their area and makes it enjoyable.

For any detector, "In field results" by the Forum members is important...
Then of course, finding one that seems to fit with how our individual brains are constructed as well as our bodies...Like its a natural extension of ourselves and takes no effort or thinking to use...Both the AtPro and the NOX have earned a solid reputation of being capable in field hunters...

Now, on another note, just this past Thursday, me and the Wife found ourselves in a little coin/oddity shop about 150 miles from home...We stopped in and I was looking at the scrap silver Walker halfs and doing a deal with the guy...the Wife found a little tub full of modern carved Hobo Nickels for $2 each!...She was enamored with them and bought 3...

I told her the history of the Hobo Nickel and how Brother Shiny actually found a Wild one up in Montana a few years back!! What?! Yes he did!
So now she wants to start carving her own like our Brother JBExpress does...

I also told her about Skippy melting down scrap silver finds and pouring ring castings, and how John Edmonton and others here make coin rings...So..could you please post a pic of that Hobo Nickel you found again? Or just refresh the post? I think thats the only Wild Hobo Nickel I've ever seen posted on here...:?:

That's a good write up. Sometimes i find if the Nox pinpoints off centre, it turns out to be a coin on edge.
There's other obvious advantages like wet beach and prospecting modes, but the biggy for me is that due to the higher freqs used it's hot on very small silver and gold, a real hoover on medieval sites!

thank you ghound! you sure have some great sites over there and the Nox sure does good for you and others!

Great write up. Not everyone needs the latest greatest anything. I hope everyone finds what works well for their area and makes it enjoyable.

thanks MuddyMo - so true, detecting and making some good finds make for an enjoyable hobby!

For any detector, "In field results" by the Forum members is important...
Then of course, finding one that seems to fit with how our individual brains are constructed as well as our bodies...Like its a natural extension of ourselves and takes no effort or thinking to use...Both the AtPro and the NOX have earned a solid reputation of being capable in field hunters...

Now, on another note, just this past Thursday, me and the Wife found ourselves in a little coin/oddity shop about 150 miles from home...We stopped in and I was looking at the scrap silver Walker halfs and doing a deal with the guy...the Wife found a little tub full of modern carved Hobo Nickels for $2 each!...She was enamored with them and bought 3...

I told her the history of the Hobo Nickel and how Brother Shiny actually found a Wild one up in Montana a few years back!! What?! Yes he did!
So now she wants to start carving her own like our Brother JBExpress does...

I also told her about Skippy melting down scrap silver finds and pouring ring castings, and how John Edmonton and others here make coin rings...So..could you please post a pic of that Hobo Nickel you found again? Or just refresh the post? I think thats the only Wild Hobo Nickel I've ever seen posted on here...:?:

Thanks Mud, great comments! Here is a pic of that hobo nickel I found back in 2017!

Attachments

• hobo1.jpg
    hobo1.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 642
  • hobo2.jpg
    hobo2.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 637
Very nice write up! I have the Nox 800 and Makro Multi Kruzer. Between the two, I still rather cart out the Makro to most places. I like things about both units, depending where I'm at. I'd really like to swing the AT Pro, and the 2 I have to see what the differences are. Maybe I'll get lucky and someone will pop in that has used all 3 and tempt me into picking up another toy I don't really need. LOL

Anyway, thanks again for a really good write up.

Very nice write up! I have the Nox 800 and Makro Multi Kruzer. Between the two, I still rather cart out the Makro to most places. I like things about both units, depending where I'm at. I'd really like to swing the AT Pro, and the 2 I have to see what the differences are. Maybe I'll get lucky and someone will pop in that has used all 3 and tempt me into picking up another toy I don't really need. LOL

Anyway, thanks again for a really good write up.

Thanks NJDiver, appreciate the kind words! You have two excellent machines already, you might like the AT Pro, really good tones, solid ID, and overall good capabilities.

LovestheShiny!

Great write-up and fair assessment of the AT Pro from an experienced user. Having owned and used one I can say that for what it was designed for=general all terrain detecting for coins, jewelry and relics down to about 9" depending on the target size, coil size and soil conditions, it is an excellent, capable detector and its popularity reflects this.

I have several friends who use them very successfully where I live in similar conditions as you.

The only reasons that anyone I know has moved on from their AT series detectors and there have been several, are due to their nose heavy weight, small display or a desire for multi frequency operation in hot ground or salt water environments. All have either gone to an XP Deus/Orx or an Equinox. Most of these people who switched needed something lighter or easier to see due to injury or age. Otherwise, they were very happy with their AT Series detectors.

I think your assessment of the Equinox considering you haven't spent any time detecting with it according to your post, is pretty close too.

I totally agree with your assessment of the pinpoint function on the Equinox 600 and 800. Its below average functionality is a real mystery to me........my $149 Teknetics Minuteman does a much better job of pinpointing from my experience and I have over 1800 hours on the Equinox. I had a devil of a time pinpointing some targets just yesterday with the Nox 600 due to weird soil conditions and adjacent targets.

I often hear people complain about jumpy target ID numbers on the Equinox. My experience has been just the opposite. On targets that are .5" to 11" deep and are not on edge, damaged or have multiple detectable targets in the same hole, my experience is that the numbers are totally rock solid and I know what I'm digging around 90% of the time. For surface targets (mentioned as an issue in the manual) or for the reasons I already mentioned, the target ID will be influenced by those conditions. For extremely deep targets beyond the width of the coil the numbers will get spread a bit like an 11+" quarter may read 25 to 33 instead of 29 to 31 which still puts it in the high conductor bin. A similarly deep nickel may read 9 to 15 instead of 12 to 13. It still reads as a low conductor unlike most detectors I've used which either won't even know it is there, won't give a number, just grunt or detect the nickel as a top end high conductor.

Hunting in human iron trashy areas or in areas with naturally occurring iron particles from erosion of iron rich rocks like where I live can pose similar jumpy target ID problems. Iron and iron alloyed targets that are oxidizing can give target ID numbers just about anywhere on the Equinox ID range thanks to those multi frequencies. Even 1/16" or smaller sized iron bits can be detected easily by the Equinox even though my handheld pinpointer may not detect those smallest ones in the hole.

In my opinion, and the tones a detector makes are judged very subjectively by us, the sound of the tones on the Nox are more pleasing to me. Part of that may be due to the many tones and tone adjustments available on the Equinox 800 and 600 which far exceed those available on the AT Pro. That does not make the Nox better necessarily, it just has more options.

thanks for your very objective write-up

Jeff

Last edited:
LovestheShiny!

Great write-up and fair assessment of the AT Pro from an experienced user. Having owned and used one I can say that for what it was designed for=general all terrain detecting for coins, jewelry and relics down to about 9" depending on the target size, coil size and soil conditions, it is an excellent, capable detector and its popularity reflects this.

I have several friends who use them very successfully where I live in similar conditions as you.

The only reasons that anyone I know has moved on from their AT series detectors and there have been several, are due to their nose heavy weight, small display or a desire for multi frequency operation in hot ground or salt water environments. All have either gone to an XP Deus/Orx or an Equinox. Most of these people who switched needed something lighter or easier to see due to injury or age. Otherwise, they were very happy with their AT Series detectors.

I think your assessment of the Equinox considering you haven't spent any time detecting with it according to your post, is pretty close too.

I totally agree with your assessment of the pinpoint function on the Equinox 600 and 800. Its below average functionality is a real mystery to me........my $149 Teknetics Minuteman does a much better job of pinpointing from my experience and I have over 1800 hours on the Equinox. I had a devil of a time pinpointing some targets just yesterday with the Nox 600 due to weird soil conditions and adjacent targets.

I often hear people complain about jumpy target ID numbers on the Equinox. My experience has been just the opposite. On targets that are .5" to 11" deep and are not on edge, damaged or have multiple detectable targets in the same hole, my experience is that the numbers are totally rock solid and I know what I'm digging around 90% of the time. For surface targets (mentioned as an issue in the manual) or for the reasons I already mentioned, the target ID will be influenced by those conditions. For extremely deep targets beyond the width of the coil the numbers will get spread a bit like an 11+" quarter may read 25 to 33 instead of 29 to 31 which still puts it in the high conductor bin. A similarly deep nickel may read 9 to 15 instead of 12 to 13. It still reads as a low conductor unlike most detectors I've used which either won't even know it is there, won't give a number, just grunt or detect the nickel as a top end high conductor.

Hunting in human iron trashy areas or in areas with naturally occurring iron particles from erosion of iron rich rocks like where I live can pose similar jumpy target ID problems. Iron and iron alloyed targets that are oxidizing can give target ID numbers just about anywhere on the Equinox ID range thanks to those multi frequencies. Even 1/16" or smaller sized iron bits can be detected easily by the Equinox even though my handheld pinpointer may not detect those smallest ones in the hole.

In my opinion, and the tones a detector makes are judged very subjectively by us, the sound of the tones on the Nox are more pleasing to me. Part of that may be due to the many tones and tone adjustments available on the Equinox 800 and 600 which far exceed those available on the AT Pro. That does not make the Nox better necessarily, it just has more options.

thanks for your very objective write-up

Jeff

Thank you Jeff! You have some great comments especially coming from a very experienced Nox user! My comments about the Nox are from directly observing my friends (almost all who use the Nox 600 or 800 - which should say something about those machines' good capabilities!) when we hunt together. I appreciate your imput to this thread, thank you!

Back
Top Bottom