New Equinox Trouble

"20. When I dropped it down to 14 it went away."

Youve answered your own question. Its emi causing the chatter. No need to send it in.

"20. When I dropped it down to 14 it went away."

Youve answered your own question. Its emi causing the chatter. No need to send it in.

So running in park 1 at sensitivity 14 is completely normal and the 20 default is not a viable setting?

I still don’t understand why there was no chatter in my house When I bought it or on the first hunt — and now the detector chatters wherever and whenever it is turned on.

You may have a problem with your Nox

Or, your problem could be lots of EMI.

The Nox with simultaneous multi frequencies is an extremely sensitive, hot detector. I cannot do any kind of testing in my house or in my backyard with the sensitivity over 14 without incredible amounts of chatter. I have both the 600 and 800 and they both act the same no matter what mode they are in. There are also a few urban/suburban sites I hunt that I have to keep the sensitivity around 15 due to EMI. I tried a Gamma 6000, Omega 8000 and a T2 at the same sites and they were unusable, period. Both of my Equinox will chatter under big power lines and around electric fences. I cannot get anywhere near the default 20 at these places. I still get good detection depth even past 12" on coin sized targets with the sensitivity at 15 to 18. Some of the pre-release testers recommended that Minelab set sensitivity defaults below 20 and cap sensitivity at 20 just for this reason.

Jeff

Thanks. This helps. Had I known it was this sensitive to EMI I wouldn’t have bought it. But if a coin still pings at 12 inches at sensitivity 14 that’s still pretty good. Shutting off the cell phone is apparently necessary, and I need people to be able to reach me. It’s weird the iPhone won’t work with it because the instructions mention being able to receive calls through the headphones.

Hi,
I have never had any interference from my iPhone. I have it on and also have my pinpointer turned on when I do the first Auto Noise Cancel. This really helps eliminate cross talk from my pinpointer and EMI from my phone. I certainly do my best to keep my phone at least 3 to 5 feet from the coil.

As I have already said, the Nox will still go plenty deep with sensitivity lowered to 14 to 18. I just turn it on, Noise Cancel, Ground Balance (I don't use tracking like you were) and if it is quiet I turn up the sensitivity until the chatter starts and back off a bit. So, instead of forcing the Nox to use the default setting for sensitivity, I let the Nox tell me where the sensitivity needs to be for the area I'm detecting.

good luck,

Jeff

My EQX600 can go bonkers in some locations from EMI. But it has enough adjustability that I can tune in out and calm it down.

I routinely hunt with sensitivity at 22-23. My iphone is never a problem. What will always give me issues is lower overhead power lines and ground level utility boxes. And last week I was hunting some curbstrips while a lady was using an electric leaf blower next door. Chatter was horrific until she turned it off. And once in a while, I get chatter that is unexplainable. Usually a combination of lower sensitivity and slower recovery speeds can help quiet it down. Or I just move to another location.

So running in park 1 at sensitivity 14 is completely normal and the 20 default is not a viable setting?

I still don’t understand why there was no chatter in my house When I bought it or on the first hunt — and now the detector chatters wherever and whenever it is turned on.

Its completely reasonable. The nox is a multi frequency detector, so emi can be a huge factor in that there are 5 frequencies receiving interference instead of just one. Also, there could be a new source of emi in your area unbeknownst to you. Try running in single freq or try another area to see if it quiets down. Simple things to try before sending it in only to be told theres nothing wrong.

Put sensitivity at 25 before you noise cancel. Noise cancel should be done parallel to the ground. Adjust sensitivity down after noise cancel. I’ve had a few areas that the detector becomes chatty or unusable in.

Back
Top Bottom