Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   River Team 6 Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Stories and Pictures of Finds

Old 07-09-2018, 12:58 PM

Default I crushed my dream.

I have always wanted to find Civil War items but living in northwest Ohio what are the chances.

I just recently got permission for a harvested wheat field. The farmer was very helpful he told me that he was going to do a light tilling and plant a cover crop. I was more than welcome to use it all the way till next spring.

Of course like a little child not able to wait until he has it completely tilled I decided to try detecting within the tire marks of the tractor in the areas in which he had the bales stacked. I found a toe tap some flat buttons and one Indian head penny. Here is where the nightmare begins.

I came across a signal and when I dug it up not being able to identify it I gave it a good rub on my blue jeans. And then I could not believe my eyes I Saw an Eagle cuff button. In my excitement trying to get my camera I lost my balance having my hand hit the ground hard realized I had crushed my Eagle button I instantly packed up my items feeling sick to my stomach went home to cry.
Attached Images

Ace 400 Aug 2016 - to Date Oldest coin 1779 4 Maravedies Spain/ Walker (1) Merc (8) Rosie (9) Barb(1) Seated Dime (2) seated Quarter(4)Wash (3) IHP (42) War Nickel (1) Buff (1) Gold ring (1)Gold Necklace(1) Silver rings(8) Silver Necklace(1) PULL TABS 5Million

Old 07-09-2018, 12:59 PM

Oh no..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-09-2018, 01:00 PM

Damn. Sorry to hear that.
That's like pulling CW brass only to see shiny brass streak where you hit it with your digger.

Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Max.

I can dig it.

Old 07-09-2018, 06:01 PM

You'll find another one, man...

Old 07-09-2018, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by teotwawki12 View post
That's right. There are still more to be found.

I can dig it.

Last edited by abroome; 07-09-2018 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Spelling

Old 07-09-2018, 07:33 PM
Supporter

So sorry, bud that had to suck big time. I'm nearly sick reading it.

On the bright side, it sounds like an awesome find and an awesome spot, i think you have more great targets to find there!

Old 07-09-2018, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by teotwawki12 View post
Originally Posted by abroome View post
That's right. There are still more to be found.

I can dig it.
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I will try to keep a positive attitude about finding another one

Ace 400 Aug 2016 - to Date Oldest coin 1779 4 Maravedies Spain/ Walker (1) Merc (8) Rosie (9) Barb(1) Seated Dime (2) seated Quarter(4)Wash (3) IHP (42) War Nickel (1) Buff (1) Gold ring (1)Gold Necklace(1) Silver rings(8) Silver Necklace(1) PULL TABS 5Million

Old 07-09-2018, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Big Treble View post
So sorry, bud that had to suck big time. I'm nearly sick reading it.

On the bright side, it sounds like an awesome find and an awesome spot, i think you have more great targets to find there!
Yes you are right about the bright side. As soon as he gets the stubble trimmed all the way down I believe there is more good targets to come. There will be more area to search and there was also two or three more buildings on the back side of the property at one time.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:33 PM
Elite Member

Usually where there is one button, there's more..

I've found a civil war artillery button not too far from you too, near Waterville Ohio..

So don't loose hope just yet...

<)))>{

Old 07-09-2018, 11:01 PM
Elite Member

Aw man that stinks! We've all nicked or ruined a good find a time or two. Don't beat yourself up too much. Judging by the finds you've made so far in that field, I bet there's some more awesome finds waiting for you there. Including more buttons! Good luck!

White's TREASUREpro

Old 07-10-2018, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Ice Scratcher View post
Usually where there is one button, there's more..

I've found a civil war artillery button not too far from you too, near Waterville Ohio..

So don't loose hope just yet...

<)))>{
Thanks I will keep my fingers crossed. Yes Waterville is close to me.

Old 07-10-2018, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Waveoff View post
Aw man that stinks! We've all nicked or ruined a good find a time or two. Don't beat yourself up too much. Judging by the finds you've made so far in that field, I bet there's some more awesome finds waiting for you there. Including more buttons! Good luck!
Thanks for the encouragement.

Old 07-11-2018, 06:38 PM
Elite Member

Oh NO!!!!!
That would totally bite the big one.
I would probably throw it back in and stomp out

Old 07-13-2018, 03:46 PM
Supporter

I'm really sorry to hear about that button, Dan.

It's always disappointing to damage a find - I know my heart sinks even if I just kiss a coin with my digger. But we've all done it to some degree - in fact, I'm sure we've all flat out smoked a coin/relic or two, also. Truth be told, I broke my favorite eating utensil find - an old baby's fork that was a little bent. After getting it home and cleaning it up, I got the brilliant idea that maybe just a little pressure in the right spot could get some of the bend out...well, I promptly broke it in half. So, maybe it's small consolation, but at least yours was an accident - my case was foolish, intentional action!

Whenever I damage an item, I get past it by telling myself that if I hadn't dug it, the item would have just disintegrated into the earth over time anyway. Take heart in the knowledge that you've got many more great finds to come!

Oldest coin: 1853 Braided Hair Large Cent (Honorable Mention: 1857 Flying Eagle Cent)
Oldest silver: 1861 Seated Liberty Dime
Oldest foreign coin: 1859 Canadian Queen Victoria Large Cent