Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Deteknix
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Stories and Pictures of Finds

Old 07-08-2018, 03:32 PM

Default My first token - a big local one - plus a bonus and a tiny elephant

A big city-owned lot near me that was formerly a farmyard just got mowed Friday and I always go back over it after a new mowing. I hit the fragment that I was pretty sure was a trade token first, then the big 50-center within six or eight feet of the fragment was readable right out of the ground. The E.G. Davis General Merchandise store here in Leonardville burned in 1917; it's possible that someone tossed them in the grass after learning the store would not rebuild. Smaller one was a ten-center. The little elephant I found a few hours earlier under a big tree at my work, different town. Heavy for size, guess it's lead. I'd found a tax token and a pinball token but wanted a local trade token bad so I'm quite happy!
Attached Images

Old 07-08-2018, 03:49 PM
Supporter

VERY nice token! A rare find and so much fun to see come out of the ground!

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-08-2018, 04:30 PM

Amazing!

Old 07-08-2018, 04:48 PM
Elite Member

Very cool token and a half! It looks like the ground could have been a little nicer but it still has great detail and eye appeal. That, and it's an old store token.....not much else to say! Great digs

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Old 07-08-2018, 05:55 PM

Yeah, still unsure how much more i want to clean it. This is soaking in Dawn and water, toothbrush scrub and a little SOS pad scrub.

Old 07-08-2018, 08:27 PM
Elite Member

great finds... looks like its charred from the fire... I use water and toothpick on those finds, sometimes my soft brass wire brush... SOS and dawn is pretty rough on those in my experience and I always regret trying them.

Old 07-08-2018, 08:52 PM
Supporter

Lovely token and I like that elephant too!

2 Compadres : 2018 (Total (4/4/13 to date)) - Clad: $138.36 ($779.86), Silver coins: 1 (6), Wheats: 15 (44), Gold: 5 (23), .925 5 (54), Rings: 30 (170), Oldest Coins: 1921 Ten Centavos Filipinas; Chinese cash coin

Old 07-08-2018, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Gimmie The Loot View post
great finds... looks like its charred from the fire... I use water and toothpick on those finds, sometimes my soft brass wire brush... SOS and dawn is pretty rough on those in my experience and I always regret trying them.
I'm holding off on any more cleaning with those methods. Got in a hurry because I was taking them to show to a local historian at noon today.

Old 07-08-2018, 11:03 PM

Went back looking for the other half of that ten-center... no luck but dug a 1904 Indian!

Old 07-09-2018, 06:52 AM
Supporter

That token is awesome, the half token is very cool too, Congrats!

Old 07-09-2018, 06:00 PM

Congrats on the tokens!!!! Very nice finds

GL & HH
Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 07-11-2018, 06:39 PM
Elite Member

Awesome!
Love then tokens

Old 07-13-2018, 03:55 PM
Supporter

Congrats on the awesome local tokens, Iggy! Great that you've already been able to research a little history for the business, too! Nice bonus to score the Indian while looking for the rest of the 10 cent token, too. Did the historian have any added info for the merchant?

Oldest coin: 1853 Braided Hair Large Cent (Honorable Mention: 1857 Flying Eagle Cent)
Oldest silver: 1861 Seated Liberty Dime
Oldest foreign coin: 1859 Canadian Queen Victoria Large Cent

Old 07-13-2018, 04:23 PM

Congrats on the token, I always like finding them!

Tru

Old 07-14-2018, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by AirmetTango View post
Congrats on the awesome local tokens, Iggy! Great that you've already been able to research a little history for the business, too! Nice bonus to score the Indian while looking for the rest of the 10 cent token, too. Did the historian have any added info for the merchant?
Well, I approached him while he was having lunch lol so he may have left out a few details. The library at the county seat has the Leonardville paper on microfilm so I plan to try to find some period ads for the store. We were a railroad boomtown and at one time had five general stores competing for business. Wonder if they all had tokens?

Old 07-14-2018, 08:48 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Iggyks View post
Well, I approached him while he was having lunch lol so he may have left out a few details. The library at the county seat has the Leonardville paper on microfilm so I plan to try to find some period ads for the store. We were a railroad boomtown and at one time had five general stores competing for business. Wonder if they all had tokens?
I had some extra time today, and like I said, I love tokens - so I did a search on E.G. Davison and turned up a bunch of interesting articles, some of which are from the "The Leonardville Monitor", others are from elsewhere. Looks like your token is definitely from 1915-1917, the only years he was in business in Leonardville. He never rebuilt the store there - he's listed as a grocery in Topeka by July 1918. I'll be happy to send you copies of 8 of the most interesting articles that I found - just PM me your email, and I'll send them to you as pdf files

Oldest coin: 1853 Braided Hair Large Cent (Honorable Mention: 1857 Flying Eagle Cent)

Old 07-14-2018, 09:02 PM

I had some extra time today, and like I said, I love tokens - so I did a search on E.G. Davison and turned up a bunch of interesting articles, some of which are from the "The Leonardville Monitor", others are from elsewhere. Looks like your token is definitely from 1915-1917, the only years he was in business in Leonardville. He never rebuilt the store there - he's listed as a grocery in Topeka by July 1918. I'll be happy to send you copies of 8 of the most interesting articles that I found - just PM me your email, and I'll send them to you as pdf files
Awesome! I used to have hewspapers.com and they didn't have the local paper, where in the world did you find it?

Old 07-14-2018, 10:54 PM
Supporter

Awesome! I used to have hewspapers.com and they didn't have the local paper, where in the world did you find it?
They must've updated since you had the subscription - all were from newspapers.com. The Leonardville Monitor, Toronto Republican, Topeka Daily Capital, Russell Springs Leader, and the Democratic Messenger (Eureka) are just the ones I pulled articles out of...not sure if there are any others that are local to you. Might be worth checking them out again for you

Old 07-15-2018, 12:24 AM

They must've updated since you had the subscription - all were from newspapers.com. The Leonardville Monitor, Toronto Republican, Topeka Daily Capital, Russell Springs Leader, and the Democratic Messenger (Eureka) are just the ones I pulled articles out of...not sure if there are any others that are local to you. Might be worth checking them out again for you
Had to let my subscription lapse. I attempted to pm my email to you.. Did you get it!?

Old 07-15-2018, 09:22 AM
Supporter

Had to let my subscription lapse. I attempted to pm my email to you.. Did you get it!?
No, didn't get a pm...I'll pm mine to you instead. Just email me and I'll reply