Ace 250 and it's limits...

Burbank Bob

Forum Supporter
Love my Ace 250. Find plenty of coins with it.

BUT.... I read here that someone found a gold coin at the base of some playground equipment and I am wondering if the limits of the Ace 250 keep you from finding some better treasures?

Aside from overall depth (no really deep targets I can imagine here in LA) what about discrimination near metal posts, etc?

I avoid the edges of playgrounds and the equipment because of all the signals bouncing around and know I am missing good finds.

Currently hunt in Relic Mode at 3 Sens.

Thanks for all comments.

I found a gold coin on a playground with the ACE 250, rang up as a nickel and I though "oh great, not a penny!" and dug it out.

You'll find that most detectors will struggle (with varying degrees) when close
to big chunks of steel or iron. It's not a failing of the Ace.

Try the sniper coil , its great for just this situation and can get really close. IF i happen to have the stock 6x9 coil and not the sniper , I can still get pretty close. I will hear the steel poles but usually when there is something else there I will get a double ding instead of just one , and then some angling with the coil I can get somewhat close to the second target. I dont know how well that works for gold though since Ive only found coins that way , right up an inch or two from the steel pole of playground equiptment.

The Ace 250's eliptical coil design allow you to get closer to steel poles than a round coil would if I'm not mistaken...I use my Ace 250 in playgrounds and I've found coins within a couple inches of steel posts. ~Scott

I found a gold coin on a playground with the ACE 250, rang up as a nickel and I though "oh great, not a penny!" and dug it out.

Wow! What kind of gold coin was it? Was it lost by some kid or was it something that predated the school??

Thanks for all the replies.

I think that in my case, learning to catch the multiple tones is a big plus, and perhaps how I hold the coil.

Usually, when I get within 5 inches of a post it starts to trigger the detector, and that is using Relic Mode at 3 Sens.

I've been avoiding them and may be missing some goodies.

I don't have the sniper coil. That is on my want list.

Really pleased with the Ace 250 and this was not a knock at it at all. Just wanting to get the best out of it.

I paid my ace off with this 1 find a few years ago. Still use the old yeller feller

Attachments

• OVM buckle.JPG
    OVM buckle.JPG
    20.3 KB · Views: 381
Back
Top Bottom