Equinox causing fbs to go up for sale?

I think I'll always keep an "Fe/Co" based machine. If ML does ever engineer a new Equinox model with FeCo...my answer changes. Otherwise, my Explorer SE and Etrac won't lose their home, especially the SE. Sweetest silver tone ever within the hobby.

FBS

I love my Safari. For what is essentially a turn on and go machine, it's amazing.

But the Nox has caught my attention...just saying.

You’re well covered MA but FBS does it’s own magical thing. As one fellow once said,”FBS doesn’t separate,they sort”. As ambiguous as that may sound,it seems to me to be very true. When I can recover coins RELIABLY in the same hole as 3,4,5 nails at times,there’s something else going on upstairs that isn’t what other schemes are up to. They are AMAZING.

You’re well covered MA but FBS does it’s own magical thing. As one fellow once said,”FBS doesn’t separate,they sort”. As ambiguous as that may sound,it seems to me to be very true. When I can recover coins RELIABLY in the same hole as 3,4,5 nails at times,there’s something else going on upstairs that isn’t what other schemes are up to. They are AMAZING.

Sounds good.

Being the off season for a good part of the country and some very nice machines hitting the market this past year I think folks are willing to let go of some pretty solid proven killers . This includes many brands at many price ranges .
There is no question many guys keep several laying around but when a new one is added often times one of the backups gets neglected and should be transferred to someone who will take the old girl for a good run more often.
It's only the right thing to do.

Good topic. Good post. And it's interesting that this seems to be the overwhelming answer :

..... FBS is legendary! ....

.... Sweetest silver tone ever within the hobby.

.... my 3030 isn't going anywhere....

.... FBS is amazing if you're looking for deep silver in trashy places.

Fbs In my opinion have the best discrimination going,across the board I don’t see another unit replacing it.

.... but FBS does it’s own magical thing. .....

My FBS isn’t going anywhere. Yes, they are AMAZINGLY AMAZING!

... Everything else keeps ya guessing!! ....

Spoken by a bunch of guys who have the street credentials (ie.: finds) to speak with a bit of authority. Yes: The 800 has been sort of nothing more than a "step sideways" in a lot of hunt needs. And doesn't have the same fluty-ness than the FBS users have come to love . Especially when the coin is less than 5" or so, there is zero fluty-ness to judge from. FBS users became fond of that , so that they had instant mental recognition of deep vs shallow . Which is a turf-hunting benefit.

It's admitted explorer/3030 spanker if someone's objective is micro-jewelry. And perhaps it could be made to be better in some ghost-townsy (iron-see-through) scenarios. And sure, the water-proof makes it safer for the beach storms than my Explorer. Doh

But other than that, for what I do, I didn't see it to be any improvement. High conductors, at depth, is still where the FBS is king, it seems. I'd like to see how the new larger coil works on the 800 though. Is the stock coil the "point of diminishing returns" ? (ie.: such that all you do is add more swath coverage, not depth). Or does it now go deeper on coin sized items ? And if so, does it come at a cost of fishy-warbly performance ? More prone to masking ? Fishy pinpointing ?

Another big downer for the old school Explorer guys, is that they are so addicted to their sun-ray inline probes. That alone kept me from ever advancing to the 3030, for instance.

Still props must be given

Good topic. Good post. And it's interesting that this seems to be the overwhelming answer :

Very good points
Still the thaught of the depth gain you get on midrange conductors the new eye pleasing LED screen and swing weight adding in waterproof and including wireless head phones all for half the price of a new Etrac was a pretty incredible offering . Props to Minelab for actually giving hunters what they wanted and I would say without being Paid .
No question the most versatile and competitive model for the money at the start and not underrated or over anticipated at all.

In this day and age something that actually lives up to its Hype is rare. Props must be given👍

PS . True that nothing tops the natural sound of FBS in its natural state .
Dew

??? Step sideways ? I think it's a good start .

Spoken by a bunch of guys who have the street credentials (ie.: finds) to speak with a bit of authority. Yes: The 800 has been sort of nothing more than a "step sideways" in a lot of hunt needs.

Phase Two if Minelab is smart!!!!
Take the EQUINOX owners and those of us who love our FBS and build something we all must have ! Something we still sell our souls for!!! With the killer nugget finding option and water hunting capabilities. And all the mods available.

Still lives up to expectations in my book . 👍
Now let's see Minelab combine the CTX , With the Etrac and Explorer with the Frequency ranges of the Eqinox and Build us somethin we will be willing to spend the money we have set aside for our cemetery plots and funeral expenses 😎
Until then because I have FBS I will be using it !👍

Last edited:
IMO NOTHING outperforms an FBS machine at a polluted park looking for 6-10" coins. I would use what works best for you, at the sites you hunt. General consensus is (and always has been) FBS and FBS 2 is still probably the best choice for deep coinshooting in trashy park type scenarios. Now is the time to buy! People are offloading FBS for the equinox at crazy cheap prices! I do think they will regret selling the FBS in the latter though :yes:

I don't know if I would use it much but thinking about getting the 800 maybe for another loaner for the curious. Pretty much have my choice of what I want to use, 3030 is still the mainstay. One thing the 3030 doesn't seem to do that my etrac does is that sweet flutey tone on silver. Am I just imagining it or does it not sing like the etrac? Anyone else notice this or is it just me?

Back
Top Bottom