My first detector ...

Mikebuild

Hey all,

Just got my new AT Max ... my first detector. Was all set to order the NOX 800 but decided that the Max might be a better choice for a first machine. Live in Washington but headed to Scottsdale for a couple weeks ... should be a good place to learn. Any tips on where to hunt? Thinking ghost towns, maybe.

Welcome from South Carolina !!!!

This might help while you're waiting to start detecting -

AT MAX Instructional Video Part 1 of 3 (US Version)

:mder: ______ :mder: ______ :mder: ______ :mder:

Congratulations there’s a lot out there waiting on you to find it. Don’t forget to show us your finds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey all,

Just got my new AT Max ... my first detector. Was all set to order the NOX 800 but decided that the Max might be a better choice for a first machine. Live in Washington but headed to Scottsdale for a couple weeks ... should be a good place to learn. Any tips on where to hunt? Thinking ghost towns, maybe.

Hi Mike,

You made a good choice. I owned an AT Pro for 3 years, sold it and got the Nox 800. Boy what a learning curve for me on the 800.

I would recommend people new to detecting do what you did. The AT Max is easy to learn and use. Put some serious time on the AT Max before you go to the Equinox 800.

The AT Max will not let you down and is not overly complicated.

Welcome to Friendly. Ask any question here about AT Max or metal detecting in general. The very best place to learn is here on Friendly. Don't worry about asking beginner's questions. We all do that from time to time.

In addition to learning some here will entertain you, mud puppy, calabash digger and tom in CA come to mind. These guys are also on their A game in terms of detecting so they can educate also. Plus there are others that also entertain and educate. Those three are my favorites.

Have fun.

Wow, you guys are worse than elk hunters and steelhead fishermen ... no one offered up any hunting areas! Lol ;)

And, I apologize in advance for all the upcoming noob questions.

Wow, you guys are worse than elk hunters and steelhead fishermen ... no one offered up any hunting areas! Lol ;)

And, I apologize in advance for all the upcoming noob questions.

Welcome to the Friendly forum! For hell's sake!! Youre already trying to stake claim to our favorite hunting spots!

(I'm kidding lol)

Search your backyard! Your curbstrip in front of your house, your garden, your relatives front yards. Spend some time at your local park or school yard. Dig a lot of signals and learn that machine. The AT Max has been a great machine for me. Found lots of cool stuff, but being worried about what Ghost town to go to will leave you frustrated. Put some time in the field just learning the sounds of your machine, hell, throw out some coins to see what they sound like on the surface, bury some under the soil and listen to them. Put in a couple months of hunting, 100 hours or so at least.
This hobby IS all about location, BUT don't put the wagon before the horse!
Show us your finds! Even all the garbage! Ask us questions, we are a Friendly bunch. Some of us use more sarcasm than others, but there is knowledge to be had. I've learned so much from the experienced hunters on here. The search function of the threads is awesome. Lots and lots of information to read through.

And a word of caution... there are tons of opinions on whatever machine you are swinging, don't get caught up in it. Learn the machine you've chosen and you WILL find the goodies if you put in the time. Don't take the AT Max out to an iron infested ghost town with no experience and expect to do well. We want you to be successful and a contributing member of this forum. Stick with it!

Welcome to this world. I'm new myself. I used to do it years ago but my job cut it off for many years. Now I am retired and am at it again. I also bought an A
T Max this summer. It seems to do real well. It does have a learning curve though. I don't think it is as bad as some of those antiques I had many years ago. Good luck and always look under the clothesline.

Welcome from Pierce county and good luck in AZ! My parents winter a little north of Phoenix and I always am on the lookout for ghost towns whenever I am out there. Lots to choose from. 😁

:fmdfwelcome: Thank you for joining us!

If possible, you can start with detecting in your own yard. This will help you become acquainted with your detector, as well as give you practice in digging and filling nice, neat holes (which we detectorists usually call "plugs"). :D Hope you enjoy your new hobby!

Hey all,

Nice and welcome......hunt your front/back yard... learn the machine ....makes it easier to check the manual ..... test finding coins and rings to learn the sounds....learn to pinpoint!!!!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Welcome from Wisconsin. We from the frozen tundra count on snow birds and our southern brothers to pick up the slack and share their adventures as we wake up frequently from hibernation to eat 😜.
Keep us posted .
,Dew

I love google maps for hunting for places to detect. Parks, Playgrounds, public property. curb strips etc are easy to find.

Welcome from Northern Nevada. If your ever in Reno, NV, contact Reno Prospecting and Detecting Club. You can find us on Facebook or our website.

Back
Top Bottom