The Equinox Line is the Best Sub $1000.00 All Terain Detector on the Market

It will take a pretty good video or the testimony of several folks whose expertise is well established for me to buy it.
Honestly, I don't recommend folks buy it. A CTX (salt) or an ATP (freshwater) are designed as an ideal coinshooter. They require less detector acumen while delivering expected results.

Can you provide some links to the publications you refer to? I now about the Nox users manual and cjc’s Book, is there anything else you are referring to.

Since your last post got in before my last post explaining my doubts, I’m quoting it here:

“DD - honest, I though you were kidding. If the Nox can really do that then it should have no problem telling the each of same penny types from any other object and a nickel from any aluminum no matter what.

It will take a pretty good video or the testimony of several folks whose expertise is well established for me to buy it. The general consensus among most folks who have posted their experiences is that the Nox’s weakest feature (after the wobble rod) is it’s compressed and jumpy VID readings.

You wrote “tell the difference between a modern penny, all copper penny and corroded penny. This is the reason for variance.”

Can anybody do this or is some special training required?.

When somebody has buried 40 targets, 30 of them pennies (10 copper, 10 zinc ones and 10 corroded zinc pennies), 10 of them various non-ferrous junk - and then somebody else comes along and calls all 40, we will see what percentage were called correctly - then we will have some quantifiable results. When that has been done 10 times or so, we will have some indication of whether what you believe to be the case is correct.

Not saying you are wrong, just saying that “extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof”. (The so called Sagan standard - Carl Sagan said it first)”

Some people see sketchy ID numbers and compressed target ID and dont take the time to learn the language and what this detector is actually telling them. Those of us that give it time and learn the language find out there is another layer of information beyond those things that clears up the doubt and works " magic " if you learn to interpret what its telling you. Accurate ID means nothing if you are not alerted to the presence of something there worth investigating and that is where the NOX shines brightly. It may not hand you the good finds on a silver platter as you expect , but by comparison many of the other detectors may as well be partially blind. The strength of the NOX is not ID'ng targets , but seeing what the others do not.

NOX is so sensitive it can tell the difference between a modern penny, all copper penny and corroded penny. This is the reason for variance. Most folks mistake this amazing performance for quite the opposite.

If the Nox can tell a zinc penny from other pennies and does good at IDs why did it read 25 on the ID for a corroded zinc penny.

The only coin that the Nox IDs close to being accurate is the nickle!!!!

All the other IDs are way off!!!

If the Nox can tell a zinc penny from other pennies and does good at IDs why did it read 25 on the ID for a corroded zinc penny.

Perhaps I should clarify my statement. The NOX is extremely sensitive. Because a zinc penny, solid copper penny and corroded penny have different constituents and different masses, the detector accurately identifies those materials and renders a unique VDI for each.

It has the same variances for other coins too. Again, it depends on the corrosion which, as a chemical reaction does, changes the targets composition.

The same principal applies to gold. Gold doesn't have one VDI #. A 10k is different from 18k and an 0.8g of 10k may be different from 8.0g of 10k. So we can say gold is gold and pennies are pennies but really each is unique.

As OhioChris eluded, this is the strength of the machine. It identifies traces of elements and enables the operator to discern if he or she should go after the target, whereas other detectors may mask that small trace.

Some people see sketchy ID numbers and compressed target ID and dont take the time to learn the language and what this detector is actually telling them. Those of us that give it time and learn the language find out there is another layer of information beyond those things that clears up the doubt and works " magic " if you learn to interpret what its telling you. Accurate ID means nothing if you are not alerted to the presence of something there worth investigating and that is where the NOX shines brightly. It may not hand you the good finds on a silver platter as you expect , but by comparison many of the other detectors may as well be partially blind. The strength of the NOX is not ID'ng targets , but seeing what the others do not.

The X-Terra 705 has a compressed ID but it has no problem with the ID numbers like the Nox does, and it separates good to. I dug a 1860 IH and a silver coin a fraction smaller than a dime that were beside nails the Nox 800 couldn't locate.

The equinox is a great unmasker,in iron or modern trash it will find things missed by other machines.Tone ID will let you know it's a coin,and in those places heavily hunted it's a good machine at finding things missed.Sure you'll hafto dig pennies and the visual ID isnt its strong point.But chances are youll end up with some good stuff.Thats how it shines in my opinion.
In cleaner ground,fields and places like that the equinox is pretty much even with everything else in it's price range.Id say it's all in what you expect,and environment.

Really? Well I have only a small sampling rate here to make any definable statements as being fact, but generally speaking, on my machine, a nickel is a solid 13, a clad quarter is a 29/30, clad dimes a sure 25.
Pennies, yes, they vary, and I believe the why to that, is as was earlier stated. However, there is no proof to back that up.
Heck, I still have 57 days to return this.
What I'm really hoping for, is an update within that time frame. Am I dreaming?

OD- if I may call you OD- that about squares with my experience with the Nox. It’s a nice detector - there’s things to like and dislike - in a year or so we will likely know what it’s really worth. Meanwhile opinions are like .....oh well - you know the rest...

Yep ,.....you musta used a broken one :lol:

The ID isnt the best but mine has been fairly accurate with all coins except for the occasional penny/dime mix , which my ATP does too.

The X-Terra 705 has a compressed ID but it has no problem with the ID numbers like the Nox does, and it separates good to. I dug a 1860 IH and a silver coin a fraction smaller than a dime that were beside nails the Nox 800 couldn't locate.

Then you should stick with the 705.

Those of us who have taken the time to actually learn the NOX know it can do better ;)

I agree that the 705 does have more stable ID numbers but in my experience the Nox is WAY better in separation, I find a lot more coins mixed with nails and other trash than I did with the 705. ID really isn't that important if your not alerted to what's there. As much as I like the Nox I will never sell my 705 it's a great machine too.

Um, yeah.

bb40c17bb5e312de6225cd131a6f9913.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

NAILED IT !!!:lol:

Well I have some bad news for it. It is NOT a diving machine. Even though it goes 10' deep you can barely hear the sounds it makes with a 5mm hood on WHICH STINKS.

I was happily finding small brass with it but I had to listen way way way to hard. I know I have a hearing loss but I really expected to be able to crank up the volume and hear everything. In order to hear I had to stop breathing.

To be fair I will email Tony and see if he can make the headphones louder. wading it is fine. Awesome. But they advertise it to go 10' deep and I know of no wader that can hit that kind of depth.

very dangerous from what i read. it can lead to drowning. no detector is worth that my man.

I'm the newb here so take it easy on me. i have 2 excals and watching what happens with the newest toy offered up for sale. minelab and every other detector manufacturer has a specific, and narrow, demographic to sell to and to lure in. that would be older adults with disposable income sufficient to buy said new toy. that being said, i suspect that these types of threads are giving them a woody. when was the last time you heard of a video game about metal detecting ( and no, minecraft aint that ). they are certainly not targeting young adults that spend their lives online immersed in a video game or tinder. they are targeting a specific group and if they don't, their business is dead. but its a plus for us as new tech is always nice. the only problem is that the basics of a metal detector has not changed much in about , forever... as i said to OBN just today, experience trumps technology every time. hell, I've been detecting for 30 years and new to the excal for the last 5 years and i still don't know what the hell I'm hearing in the headphones most of the time. i personally think the nox would be better marketed as a water machine without the display. i see a lot of people no so happy with the display jumps and target id's so close together that its almost useless.

I will patiently await the beating i deserve.

I'm the newb here so take it easy on me. .. .. i personally think the nox would be better marketed as a water machine without the display. i see a lot of people no so happy with the display jumps and target id's so close together that its almost useless.

I will patiently await the beating i deserve.

Hello friend. We all have opinions.
The water machine comment .. the thing is, on land, in rocky, muddy, compacted Ozark soil, hunting in places that a many have been .. I'm finding so many targets IN DIRT, that I am still not done cherry-picking all the quarters (clad). Nickels are a plenty, and if it's zincolns .. well omg, that's so far away for me right now to even consider digging those first. It's as if no one has ever detected where I am at in this one park, and that I know is not true.

Display jumps / Target ID's.
The first part .. not so true WITH THE LATEST UPDATE.
Target ID's close together. Argghhh !!
Here in the USA, on my machine, a solid copper penny is a 25. A zincoln is a 21, but will move depending on how much corrosion. A clad dime is 25. A clad quarter is 29 / 30. Halves and dollars go higher yet again. Modern nickels a solid 13, some 12/13, but rarely.
Do the above numbers seem close together?
If so, relative to what?

Point being, who cares how close the numbers are, as long as they are accurate, and that, they are. Useless? Hardly so.

minelab 600

the minelab 600 will actually work in saltwater which is unlike other manufacturors who make the that claim with units in the same price range:?:

wireless headphones Equinox bad sound quality

Just returned my NOX 800 to Cabela's. Could not be happier to have the $900+ back in my wallet. After a month plus of testing I concluded it was a waste of money for MY type of Freshwater and beach hunting. I have had a NOX 600 prior to getting the 800 and it performs just the same and is all I need for this specific type of hunting. Any other type of hunting the 800 may suit you better, but for Freshwater lake and beach the 600 is all you need. I was not impressed by the sound quality of the wireless headphones that come with the 800 and if you have a larger head or large ears you will probably have a comfort issue with them. The response time was good though. I will be ordering a different brand off Amazon for my 600. The VDI number accuracy or rather the lack of are a huge let down. I'm not joking that in the sand you never know what you are digging. My XP Deus and even AT Pro you know almost 100% of the time what the target in the sand is. A penny should not have a 8 to 10 number variable, come on Minelab please improve the accuracy with a firmware update. More then glad to film this and post on YouTube for anyone that wishes to claim otherwise, but you have to film and post your proof debunking my claim. I have no plans of getting rid of the 600 and plan on buying a smaller coil for it when they come to market, but it's not my primary machine.

So my response to this thread is that the NOX series is not the one size fits all, end all beat all best deal under $1000. You have to determine what type of hunting you do, because several machines are better in niche hunting types and under $1000.

I agree 100% on the wireless headphone sound quality. not to my liking, too deep or too much bass bias. I switch them for old used $6.00 Telex headphones that have a very nice crisp high tone and decent mid tone quality. I use them with the WM-08 wireless module. They were made for the very good reception of the human voice.

Hello friend. We all have opinions.
The water machine comment .. the thing is, on land, in rocky, muddy, compacted Ozark soil, hunting in places that a many have been .. I'm finding so many targets IN DIRT, that I am still not done cherry-picking all the quarters (clad). Nickels are a plenty, and if it's zincolns .. well omg, that's so far away for me right now to even consider digging those first. It's as if no one has ever detected where I am at in this one park, and that I know is not true.

Display jumps / Target ID's.
The first part .. not so true WITH THE LATEST UPDATE.
Target ID's close together. Argghhh !!
Here in the USA, on my machine, a solid copper penny is a 25. A zincoln is a 21, but will move depending on how much corrosion. A clad dime is 25. A clad quarter is 29 / 30. Halves and dollars go higher yet again. Modern nickels a solid 13, some 12/13, but rarely.
Do the above numbers seem close together?
If so, relative to what?

Point being, who cares how close the numbers are, as long as they are accurate, and that, they are. Useless? Hardly so.

I've watched the videos on the new update for the nox
and it appears that its a big improvement. i think that there is certainly a chance that you get so immersed in the program changing abilities and the visual display / trying to figure out the VDI that you loose track and concentration ( why i no longer own a whites v3i) . i have no problem id'ing a crappy bottle cap or other trash just buy listening to the tone from the excal. but i still get fooled by trash once in a while just like everyone else. I'm closely watching how the nox is going to preform on salt water as I'm in florida and all i do is hunt wet sand to shallow water. sometimes too much information can lead to the tail wagging the dog.

Just returned my NOX 800 to Cabela's. Could not be happier to have the $900+ back in my wallet. After a month plus of testing I concluded it was a waste of money for MY type of Freshwater and beach hunting. I have had a NOX 600 prior to getting the 800 and it performs just the same and is all I need for this specific type of hunting. Any other type of hunting the 800 may suit you better, but for Freshwater lake and beach the 600 is all you need. I was not impressed by the sound quality of the wireless headphones that come with the 800 and if you have a larger head or large ears you will probably have a comfort issue with them. The response time was good though. I will be ordering a different brand off Amazon for my 600. The VDI number accuracy or rather the lack of are a huge let down. I'm not joking that in the sand you never know what you are digging. My XP Deus and even AT Pro you know almost 100% of the time what the target in the sand is. A penny should not have a 8 to 10 number variable, come on Minelab please improve the accuracy with a firmware update. More then glad to film this and post on YouTube for anyone that wishes to claim otherwise, but you have to film and post your proof debunking my claim. I have no plans of getting rid of the 600 and plan on buying a smaller coil for it when they come to market, but it's not my primary machine.

So my response to this thread is that the NOX series is not the one size fits all, end all beat all best deal under $1000. You have to determine what type of hunting you do, because several machines are better in niche hunting types and under $1000.

as strictly a wet sand to shallow water salt beach hunter, this is very interesting info. i'll keep swinging my excals until there is more info on the nox's salt beach abilities.

Back
Top Bottom