Fishing sinkers on the beaches mean $$$

imalookin2

"In Memory Of"
Forum Supporter
I live on the St. Johns River in Florida a few miles from the entrance to the Atlantic Ocean. I detect those beaches and also fish there too. I find a lot of lead sinkers. They do not corrode and the local bait stores sell lead at 30 cents an ounce. I have found more than 4 pounds of lead in the past month on 6 or so trips of 2-3 hours each. Of course I have found many interesting things and some nice silver and one gold.

Where I park my RV, most of my neighbors fish. We have a private pier and they break off rigs on the oyster beds all the time. I sell the lead to them at 20 cents an ounce. They buy all of it. :D:D:D:D I can't find enough sinkers to keep up. Twelve bucks in my pocket for picking up what some call trash. Much better than finding clad!

What do you water hunters do with your fishing sinkers? They are worth a lot added up if you can sell them.

Man that is such great advice. I was out last week and I pulled like seven huge sinkers. Never even thought about the fact that there's a market for these also. Thanks for the tip.

I'ma filling up a bucket of them meself. I never woulda thought of selling these. At the least I'd be looking for a coupla packs of batteries a s atrade-off. Thanks for the idea. :)

If you fish, next time you go to a pier or beach where others are fishing, take the whole bunch with you. Bet you will sell every one of them. 20 cents an ounce is a real good price to a fisherman who knows what they cost. To add, never buy sinkers at Wal Mart. Their prices are way higher than elsewhere. :p

I have almost 20 lbs saved up =)

I usually find about 24oz every 45 minutes where I go

Scrap lead prices are $1.10 http://www.metalprices.com/FreeSite/metals/pb/pb.asp at any scrap yard. I sell mine to a local tackle shop and he pays spot in cash. You are doing much better at $.20 and ounce, that's $3.20 a pound almost 3 times market value.
You are right about that. You have to pay for someone to take that lead and make it into a tool to fish with. There is the mark up. :D

I have almost 20 lbs saved up =)

I usually find about 24oz every 45 minutes where I go
I bet you wear shoes that fish hooks can not go through! I have found many of them in the sand. That is why I dig with a sand scoop. ;)

Removing the lead could be considered as removing an environmental hazzard,
a good selling point to allow MD's in fishing areas. :grin:

Awesome deal! Ive been saving all mine as well! Im sure I have like 10 lbs of that stuff!

I find large fishing sinkers all the time... and if I get in a good spot, I'll dig a few 2kg diving weights as well. Since I'm only in Okinawa for another year... I save everything that I find that has lead in it.

I melt it down on my back patio when I have enough to make a few ingots, then I box it up and mail it to my house in Texas when I have about 20 - 30 lbs or when I mail something else home.... I just throw some ingots in with whatever I'm mailing.

I'll use it to cast Roadrunner jig heads for crappie season, but I'll also use it to cast some 124gr 9mm bullets for the reloading press. Ammo's gotten kinda expensive ya know.

So rather than pay $50 for a 50lb box (and still pay shipping) from those Ebay sellers.... I can find it myself for free, and only incur the cost to mail it home... still a far cry cheaper than buying it from someone else.

I suppose one could buy a nice sinker mold and cast their own nice shiny new sinkers and get a tad more per ounce that way. Most jig molds sell for $15-$20, so I can't imagine it being that much more. Plus you can cast a variety of varying styles and weights for your buying public.

I find large fishing sinkers all the time... and if I get in a good spot, I'll dig a few 2kg diving weights as well. Since I'm only in Okinawa for another year... I save everything that I find that has lead in it.

I melt it down on my back patio when I have enough to make a few ingots, then I box it up and mail it to my house in Texas when I have about 20 - 30 lbs or when I mail something else home.... I just throw some ingots in with whatever I'm mailing.

I'll use it to cast Roadrunner jig heads for crappie season, but I'll also use it to cast some 124gr 9mm bullets for the reloading press. Ammo's gotten kinda expensive ya know.

So rather than pay $50 for a 50lb box (and still pay shipping) from those Ebay sellers.... I can find it myself for free, and only incur the cost to mail it home... still a far cry cheaper than buying it from someone else.

I suppose one could buy a nice sinker mold and cast their own nice shiny new sinkers and get a tad more per ounce that way. Most jig molds sell for $15-$20, so I can't imagine it being that much more. Plus you can cast a variety of varying styles and weights for your buying public.
I used to have some molds and make my own sinkers when I was a kid. Mom got mad, I took one of her good pots to melt it. :roll:

I'm trying to find enough to use for my weight belt. I find a large 100+ grammer every time I go out, just that I don't go detecting often enough yet.

I bet you wear shoes that fish hooks can not go through! I have found many of them in the sand. That is why I dig with a sand scoop. ;)

oddly enough, in all the time I've spent on the beach (easily 60+ hours), I've only ever found 3 fishing hooks.

Ill be dang.... normally there is a fisherman near by and ive just been giving them to him. No wonder they are so happy to see me LOL. I feel a little like Homer Simson right now.

Dew

Back
Top Bottom