Nox 800 is very chatty

Briman05

Elite Member
I have been busy since I got the 800. So I took it out yesterday and today for a few hours and one thing I noticed is that is a lot of chatter compared to my xterra 705 and the ctx. When I first walked on the beach I did a noise cancel and started hunting I noticed it was chatty so after the first hunt I reread the manual about the ground balance and sensitivity and iron bias and everything like that. So my second hunt I noise canceled. I tried to ground balance but it never said it was complete so I switched it to ground tracking. It still didn’t work so I tried to lower the sensitivity from 22-18 and at some spots it would be quite mostly minus the targets I dug and some other random false signals.

Then get back to the spot it had chatter in I walked past the area again and it wasn’t as bad but a block later it was chatting again. I did a noise cancel again and tried lowering the sensitivity again but nothing seemed to work. I have hunted this beach for years and with 4 different detectors not including this one and have never had a detector as chatty as this one.

So what is going on and what should I do to fix this issue?

Some will say try shutting off you cell phone. I have been in a few areas where I can noise cancel, ground balance a s---load of times and it will not settle down. Nor will lowering sensitivity. Then I try changing to 5K OR 10. Once in awhile that seems to help. My thoughts,sometimes just too much emi. Good luck Mark

Last edited:
Some will say try shutting off you cell phone. I have been in a few areas where I can noise cancel, ground balance a s---load of times and it will not settle down. Nor will lowering sensitivity. Then I try changing to 5K OR 10. Once in awhile that seems to help. My thoughts,sometimes just too much emi. Good luck Mark

I tried putting the phone in airplane mode and tried turning off the BT and neither worked

Hi,
were you in Beach 1 or Beach 2? Might try using auto or manual ground balance instead of tracking ground balance. Were you running with no discrimination or with -9, -8, and at least -7 disked out? Lots of EMI can come in at the lower negative numbers. Were you using a threshold tone?

good luck,
Jeff

I'm a long time excal user and I've heard the Nox is chatty compared to excals.

If you did the update on the Equinox I have read numerous posts where people claim it didn't do it correctly. They took it back to the old firmware and then updated again.
A factory reset in there before updating helped.

Other than that it sounds like it could be a challenge. Find someone with the same detector to compare yours to. Swap coils and narrow it down.

I have used mine in AC south to Cape May. Of course not every beach, but over all it was very stable.

The Nox has issues with bottle caps in the dry sand. Targets disappear in the hole quite often. Most times the target just fell to the bottom requiring another scoop. I or should I say we have all seen this with other detectors, but it just seems to happen more often with the Nox. Other than these two issues my experience with the Equinox and beach hunting has been very positive.

Last edited:
Are you hunting a beach?

I have been busy since I got the 800. So I took it out yesterday and today for a few hours and one thing I noticed is that is a lot of chatter compared to my xterra 705 and the ctx. When I first walked on the beach I did a noise cancel and started hunting I noticed it was chatty so after the first hunt I reread the manual about the ground balance and sensitivity and iron bias and everything like that. So my second hunt I noise canceled. I tried to ground balance but it never said it was complete so I switched it to ground tracking. It still didn’t work so I tried to lower the sensitivity from 22-18 and at some spots it would be quite mostly minus the targets I dug and some other random false signals.

Then get back to the spot it had chatter in I walked past the area again and it wasn’t as bad but a block later it was chatting again. I did a noise cancel again and tried lowering the sensitivity again but nothing seemed to work. I have hunted this beach for years and with 4 different detectors not including this one and have never had a detector as chatty as this one.

So what is going on and what should I do to fix this issue?

You need to find someone detecting with the same detector and compare them. I suspect you will have to reduce Sensitivity but then lose depth because of it. Let us know what find out.

Hmm, my nox 800 is dead silent on dry/wet sand, only has chatter in the water which I've grown used to, its real easy to differenciate targets from chatter. I also never carry a phone, use noise cancel and auto tracking in beach 2.

Is it still talking to you when you raise the coil? Then yes sounds like EMI. Mine runs pretty quiet out of the water in beach 1...... sensitivity 22 and recovery 4.... and AM. I run 50 tones to better handle the iron wrap around as well. I also use the OLD program...... but both tested about the same on gold i have. NO..... its NO Xcal noise wise. Might try rebooting the program like someone said. IF... you find it a real pain.... call ML.....you have a warranty... have um check it out. One more thing ..... have you cleaned your coil cover out?

Hi,
were you in Beach 1 or Beach 2? Might try using auto or manual ground balance instead of tracking ground balance. Were you running with no discrimination or with -9, -8, and at least -7 disked out? Lots of EMI can come in at the lower negative numbers. Were you using a threshold tone?

good luck,
Jeff

Beach 1 in the dry sand. I tried auto ground balanced and it never seemed to finish. I was hunting with discrimination up to 0. I was not using threshold tones it was my first and second time out so I didn’t want to over complicate it.

Is it still talking to you when you raise the coil? Then yes sounds like EMI. Mine runs pretty quiet out of the water in beach 1...... sensitivity 22 and recovery 4.... and AM. I run 50 tones to better handle the iron wrap around as well. I also use the OLD program...... but both tested about the same on gold i have. NO..... its NO Xcal noise wise. Might try rebooting the program like someone said. IF... you find it a real pain.... call ML.....you have a warranty... have um check it out. One more thing ..... have you cleaned your coil cover out?

I just got it in January so it came with the update. Preinstalled. I’m running 50 tones. I tried raising it a little but I never had this issue with any other detector to a gtax550-to my ctx. I take my coil cover off after each hunt and rinse off the bottom of the coil and the cover. The second hunt I stated off with the chatter.

If you did the update on the Equinox I have read numerous posts where people claim it didn't do it correctly. They took it back to the old firmware and then updated again.
A factory reset in there before updating helped.

Other than that it sounds like it could be a challenge. Find someone with the same detector to compare yours to. Swap coils and narrow it down.

I have used mine in AC south to Cape May. Of course not every beach, but over all it was very stable.

The Nox has issues with bottle caps in the dry sand. Targets disappear in the hole quite often. Most times the target just fell to the bottom requiring another scoop. I or should I say we have all seen this with other detectors, but it just seems to happen more often with the Nox. Other than these two issues my experience with the Equinox and beach hunting has been very positive.

Yeah I know all about the minelab disappearing target in the hole when sand falls back over it. I have noticed that the bottle caps seem to beep twice. I have a few buddies with the nox 800. I’ll have to call them to see if there are any major changes.

At one of my spots, they must have installed new antennas or wifi because my Nox won't shut up there. I have to drop to 16.
Never had it that bad until a couple months ago.

You have to remember all the beach goers are running phones too.

At one of my spots, they must have installed new antennas or wifi because my Nox won't shut up there. I have to drop to 16.
Never had it that bad until a couple months ago.

Beach 1 in the dry sand. I tried auto ground balanced and it never seemed to finish. I was hunting with discrimination up to 0. I was not using threshold tones it was my first and second time out so I didn’t want to over complicate it.

Dry sand. It won’t GB doing pumping GB.
Put GB at 0 and hunt away.

Mine does this in my area on fresh water inert sand.

Don’t worry a Fisher F- series detector and Deus won’t ground balance over inert sand either. There has to be mineralization for them to GB doing pumping method.

Back
Top Bottom