Megalodon Teeth

darkwaterdiver

I told Mud Puppy that I would post some pics of some of my Meg teeth that I've picked up diving.

Meg_zpsybxqheqe.jpg

Meg1_zpshvz35nhx.jpg

Meg2_zpswse7vukh.jpg

Meg3_zpsqyyxqhuc.jpg

Meg5_zpsiohznxuw.jpg

This last one is a Mastodon tooth

Meg4_zpsxzxmdms4.jpg

Wow, thats a fine collection, how deep do you have to dive to get those teeth, and what kind o vis or current do you have to deal with.

Wow, thats a fine collection, how deep do you have to dive to get those teeth, and what kind o vis or current do you have to deal with.

We're usually in the 25' to 40' depth range depending on the river we're diving. Viz can be anywhere from 3' on a great day to absolutely zero. There's a lot of variables to viz too, but on average it's usually 10" -12" with a really good headlight. Since we're diving tidal rivers, current is always something you're going to contend with. I carry a rock hammer to help me hang on and pull myself along the bottom against the current. There's been a few times that I've absolutely had my tail kicked by some current though.

Amazing! I've always said the only thing I get excited over is gold..but finding a few of those would be the ultimate .

Agree , wow , amazing ,incredible collection . I know it's priceless to you , what do you think that would all for . They seem very rare !!
Congrats
HH

Agree , wow , amazing ,incredible collection . I know it's priceless to you , what do you think that would all for . They seem very rare !!
Congrats
HH

I've never personally sold any of my real good teeth, but Price depends on size and quality. You see some people asking some crazy prices, but IMO, A 6" tooth with all its serrations and enamel intact would be in the $1,200 to $1,500 range. A "museum quality" tooth in that same size would go for more. A near perfect 3.5 - 4" would probably sell for more than a beat up 5.5" tooth.

My wife takes the ones that don't make the display cut along with the small and broken ones and turns them into art; which she then sells.

art1_zpsfg2k0pdc.jpg

art_zps6vrltgkv.jpg

Very nice! Find any serrated?

Are you talking about serrations on the teeth? If so, yes. Although you may not be able to tell, both of the big teeth pictured together have all of their serrations.
In the pic with the 9 surrounding the dollar; 5 of those have their serrations as well.

Are you talking about serrations on the teeth? If so, yes. Although you may not be able to tell, both of the big teeth pictured together have all of their serrations.
In the pic with the 9 surrounding the dollar; 5 of those have their serrations as well.

Yes. My friend has some good examples. But he has hundreds of Meg teeth. You likely already know this. But they take the broke ones and notch whalebone fossil and glue the broke tooth in it. They sell really well. I actually help my friend sell at fossil shows. He finds teeth all over the world. Likely why he isn't answering his phone:lol:

Yes. My friend has some good examples. But he has hundreds of Meg teeth. You likely already know this. But they take the broke ones and notch whalebone fossil and glue the broke tooth in it. They sell really well. I actually help my friend sell at fossil shows. He finds teeth all over the world. Likely why he isn't answering his phone:lol:

That a pretty neat idea. I could see where that would be a real popular selling item, and a good way to divest yourself of broken teeth. You can sell the broken ones to buyers by the pound, but you'd never make a whole lot doing it that way. The shark teeth portraits have been a much better return for me than selling frags in bulk.

That a pretty neat idea. I could see where that would be a real popular selling item, and a good way to divest yourself of broken teeth. You can sell the broken ones to buyers by the pound, but you'd never make a whole lot doing it that way. The shark teeth portraits have been a much better return for me than selling frags in bulk.

Yes indeed! I've seen the layout like your shark art done in polyurethane. They used to do under roads in Georgia with dredge with nice teeth all in it. But they changed it and now the dredge gets ground and all the teeth get broke:(

Back
Top Bottom