• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

AT Pro vs. Makro Racer?

GetDiggin

Forum Supporter
I would obviously prefer the opinions of someone who has used both machines. I owned a AT Pro and very much enjoyed the machine, but at the time had 2 high end machines, 2 mid and 2 lower end, so really didn't need all those machines. But right now I am down to only the XP Deus, Ace 250 & Tesoro Compadre. With me being in need of some money I am selling the Deus and going to pick up a bit more affordable machine and the 2 I am considering is the AT Pro and the Makro Racer. I do not water hunt, but I wouldn't mind having the option, but that isn't going to be a main deciding factor. So I am basically just interested in performance overall. Once my Dad and I's business picks back up I will most likely go back to the v3i, as that has been my favorite detector BY far, nothing even came close to it imo, the ONLY reason I even sold mine was because my doctor said I needed a lighter machine or needed to give up the hobby. But I liked it so much that I will just figure something out to be able to use it. So that being said, when that happens, the v3i will be my primary detector and the AT or Racer will be my secondary machine which is why I am leaning towards the AT Pro so I could have the ability to water hunt, but still very curious on just the performance differences, advantages and flaws, etc.

Thanks for your time,
Rich

My personal opinion is if you do a lot of relic hunting then the Racer probably has the edge. If you do a lot of park/school/yard hunting then I'd go with the AT Pro. Both are great detectors and can do all types of hunting well but my experience was each had good and bad based on the type of hunting you do.

I detect all across the board, our house and village was built/established in mid 1800s so I like to detect for cool old relics, but also obviously old coins/silver too. Also trash varies a lot too, from old farm land with little to no trash all the way to old houses that caught fire and littered with trash hehe, so really I need a nice versital machine.

Thanks,
Rich

OK,had to put the bees nest up before someone else.Never owned a racer but the At pro stands for all terrain, that thing will go anywhere, and find just about anything you want to.its built like a tank,not meaning heavy,but tough and durable.Its a tried and true machine, I see more racers up for sale than at pros,and the racer is way newer.jmo

I detect all across the board, our house and village was built/established in mid 1800s so I like to detect for cool old relics, but also obviously old coins/silver too. Also trash varies a lot too, from old farm land with little to no trash all the way to old houses that caught fire and littered with trash hehe, so really I need a nice versital machine.

To give you a rough idea, the AT Pro is going to run a lot like your ACE 250 and the Racer is going to run a lot like the Deus. The Racer is a bit noisy for my taste I like the more stable hunting of the AT Pro.

I would say AT Pro since its cheaper anyway. I ended up selling my etrac and just bought another at pro myself and I dont feel I am missing out too much. The lure of water detecting was just too much for me and i couldnt fork the cash for a ctx3030.
whichever machine you will get I am sure you will be happy. recovery speed on both seems pretty fast so most of it comes down to your personal preference. Maybe consider which will retain a higher resale value for when you are ready to pickup the v3i again

Never owned either BUT...

You're in Michigan, isn't there a lot of water in Michigan? Both in the lakes and rivers AND falling from the sky frequently? Nice to have a machine that doesn't need to quit a hunt and run in from the rain. And if you have issues with machine weight - bad back? - water hunting is a blast and doesn't hurt your back. I know because I have degenerative disc disorder so I water hunt a bunch. Good luck on your choice but if it were me, I'd go AT Pro.

You're in Michigan, isn't there a lot of water in Michigan? Both in the lakes and rivers AND falling from the sky frequently? Nice to have a machine that doesn't need to quit a hunt and run in from the rain. And if you have issues with machine weight - bad back? - water hunting is a blast and doesn't hurt your back. I know because I have degenerative disc disorder so I water hunt a bunch. Good luck on your choice but if it were me, I'd go AT Pro.

Yes I am from Michigan, and yes hehe we have LOTS of water, but I try to stay away from beaches because walking in the sand is hard on my hip and back but i never really thought about going all the way in to where I float, that's actually a great idea that everyone but me would have thought about lol, I actually may go with the AT Pro now, thanks for that by the way. Also to answer the bad back thing, yes bad back and hip, I was in a high speed freeway motorcycle accident @85 mph.

Thanks again,
Rich

Man, I really can't believe I never thought of that. I just wish I would not have had it brought to my attention so late in the year, already being October in Michigan I don't even know if I am going to have a water hunt kind of day :(:mad::no:

My personal opinion is if you do a lot of relic hunting then the Racer probably has the edge. If you do a lot of park/school/yard hunting then I'd go with the AT Pro. Both are great detectors and can do all types of hunting well but my experience was each had good and bad based on the type of hunting you do.

This is very good opinion.

Racer has edge in depth, recovery, display

ATP has edge with notch/disc, iron audio, and waterproof

Both very well built.

Man, I really can't believe I never thought of that. I just wish I would not have had it brought to my attention so late in the year, already being October in Michigan I don't even know if I am going to have a water hunt kind of day :(:mad::no:

One word... WETSUIT

1426603_10153540502060635_576520821_n.jpg

I am actually really considering to just sell my Deus outright and then waiting until Christmas to pick up the new Deteknix Full Size Detector, I am a really big fan of the company and have high hopes for their Waterproof Full Size Detector. The only thing holding me back from that is me not knowing what the price is going to be on it.

I run both an AT Pro and the Makro Racer as well as a few other units, as Detector stated, they both have their good and bad points. The Racer beats out the AT Pro in heavy iron and the AT Pro beats out the racer in stability. Both machines can easily hit coins at 8".
The Racer does have a few more bells and whistles but then again you can dunk the AT Pro so it about evens things up.
Both companies have great customer service but I would give the edge to Garrett in that area.
I did have a coil break on the Racer that was immediately replaced and found out that the Racer LOVES foil. I have dug a ton of it.

i have a friend who bought a new at-pro at the start of this season. the first time in water it leaked in. sent it in and they fixed it. the very next time he dunked it, water got in it again. got it fixed. he does not use it in water now. needless to say, he is not at all happy with it. we sometimes check each others targets and the deeper coins ring up as iron. with my tesoro vaquero, i always get a solid tone and will disc out high on them. seems around 7-8 inches. everything with the pro rings as iron and he has tried everything. not meant to start an argument. just saying. i would not buy one.

jld, I am experiencing the same things with my AT. Deep good targets have the iron audio grunt and iron sometimes has the mid tone. The machine lacks badly in the depth department when compared to others in it's price range. As soon as I can find someone who would like to have it, I'm going back to Tesoro.

jld, I am experiencing the same things with my AT. Deep good targets have the iron audio grunt and iron sometimes has the mid tone. The machine lacks badly in the depth department when compared to others in it's price range. As soon as I can find someone who would like to have it, I'm going back to Tesoro.
well, i am by no means an expert. i do hunt with others sometimes and have done a few club hunts. i tell you, their vaquero can keep up with those high end machines as well. people look at it with it's small control box, no screen, and 9x8 concentric coil at chuckle. then get pretty impressed with it's performance. it is the only brand i will most likely buy.

What do you guys consider good depth,I mean are you saying the At pro don't get 7 inches?Or are you saying it don't get 10 to 12 inches in depth?

What do you guys consider good depth,I mean are you saying the At pro don't get 7 inches?Or are you saying it don't get 10 to 12 inches in depth?
saying that at a depth of around 7-8 inches, the pro will hit it but will read as iron. there is a youtube video "4 way mid priced detector shootout" by scannerguy1968. and read the comments. it is an unbiased test of different in ground targets at different depths. it is a real eye opener. he has a silver dollar at 10 inches. it rang up as iron on the at pro and a fisher f19 did not even pick it up. he tested them all with stock coils. same as my friends pro. seems at 7-8 inches, no matter what it is, iron. there is a lot to consider in buying a unit other then TV hype. haha

Back
Top Bottom