Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Deteknix
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Metal Detector Accessories

Old 03-09-2010, 04:52 PM

Default I'm confused about Headphone "Frequency response"

I am deciding between the Original Gray Ghost and Jolly Rogers Ultimate Headphones. There is a big discrepency on these to brands. Which should I get.

Original Gray Ghost
Frequency response: 200 - 3200 Hz... only what your detector uses.

http://www.colonialmetaldetectors.co...ones_p_76.html

Jolly Rogers
Frequency response: 150 Hz - 20 kHz... only what your detector uses.

http://www.colonialmetaldetectors.co...ones_p_78.html

What's realy confusing me is that 20 kHz = 20,000 Hz. Is that a typo? If not, the Jolly Rogers seem to have a much larger range.

Also the "IMPEDANCE" is completely different. The Original Gray Ghost have an impedance of 150 ohms and the Jolly Rogers have an impedance of 16 ohms. !!!.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:11 PM
Administrator

Humans with non-impaired hearing, can discern sounds over a frequency response ranging from 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz. The other factor to consider is the frequency range that your detector audio produces. Does it have Tone ID or just a simple beep? If is is just a simple beep, you'd be better off buying the most comfortable to wear earphones and forget the frequency. If you have Tone ID in your detector, then what are the frequencies of the lowest and highest tone it makes and how does it compare to the headphone specifications?

The headphone with the highest frequency response will, in general, give you a more faithful reproduction of the beeps your detector makes, but heck, this is not High Fidelity sound and it is unlikely you would miss a target because of it.

As to impedance, most detector's use an audio output stage that prefers high impedance headphones. They will give you the loudest sound everything else being equal. Then again, a 16 Ω impedance may still be adequate depending on the power output of the amplifier.

Best bet would be to try several brands before choosing if you can.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Never, under any circumstances, take a laxative and a sleeping pill, on the same night.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:26 PM

Thanks for the reply. So should I get the Jolly Rogers which have a broader Freqency response but a lower impedance or should I get the Original Gray Ghost that has less of a frequency response range with a higher impedence? Which would you say is more important? I do have an Explorer II so I do have Tone ID. Also, doesn't 16 ohms vs. 150 ohms seem like a big difference?

Thanks.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:36 PM
Elite Member

I'd go with the Gray Ghost; they sound much better than the Koss headphones that came stock with my SE.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:08 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Rudy View post
Best bet would be to try several brands before choosing if you can..........
You can also find that the volume levels in sets of the same make, sometimes vary.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:50 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ed in KC View post
I'd go with the Gray Ghost; they sound much better than the Koss headphones that came stock with my SE.

Ditto, I would go with the GG too, or the Killer B's

Never, under any circumstances, take a laxative and a sleeping pill, on the same night.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:17 AM

Doesn't higher impedance mean quicker battery drain too?

Also any opinions on the DetectorPro Treasure Mate headphones? I'm on a tight budget...

Old 03-11-2010, 09:48 AM
Elite Member

Higher impedance should mean less current, so longer battery life. I=V/Z

Old 03-25-2010, 10:40 PM

Picked up a set that ranges from 20-22k, 32imp for $18 with coiled 6 foot cord, dual volume controls and stero/mono select. I can't see spending more when something this simple does the job. Search ebay.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:48 PM

Picked up a set that ranges from 20-22k, 32imp for $18 with coiled 6 foot cord, dual volume controls and stero/mono select. I can't see spending more when something this simple does the job. Search ebay.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:58 PM
Elite Member

I have a pair of the Grey Ghost originals and they are very nice.. only thing is I am a bit paranoid when out detecting and these things are shielded so well you cant hear anything else.. I should have got the Rattle Snake version with only one ear... but I didnt like how it felt like it was going to fall off my head..

I'm happy with my purchase but prefer using the speaker when at all possible... so I can hear people and animals nearby!

Yrekadude

Old 03-27-2010, 03:32 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Ed in KC View post
Higher impedance should mean less current, so longer battery life. I=V/Z
...and driven by a static source less volume.