5-0 rolled up on us

We can't ever really know. I know you want to believe those rules popped up on the books because well meaning detectorists called city hall and asked permission, but I think there are a few other obvious explanations....

Sure. We can never know for sure. But I *can* point you to numerous real life examples where md'rs "swatting hornet's nests" (asking permissions, inquiring about if permits needed, etc....) was, in fact, the genesis of an eventual rule.

And ... humorously .... EVEN IN THOSE CASES, the powers-that-be, if asked years later : "Why is there this rule ?", will NOT say : "Because someone asked, and that put it on our radar as needing-a-rule". :roll:

Never do they answer that way. Instead they will say "Because of holes". So the md'r walks away, muddering under their breath : "Durned those md'rs who must have left holes". When in fact, it's not necessarily true that it ever happened. Instead, it's often just the knee-jerk mental connotation image that persons-in-authority can have, when tasked with deciding whether or not they want md'rs . Doesn't mean they necessarily ever saw a hole. It's often just the "go-to" reason, to justify a law or rule they invented, or to justify the answer they just passed out.

In NYC a permit has been in place for more than 15 years,it's free so no big deal. It gives you access to most city parks except Central park.

I know of places where you're not supposed to detect because of county rules against it but I've never had a problem. Most of the time cops are as ignorant of the laws as everyone else.

I don’t mind the $10 to md. So what really. Pain in the arse to go get it but I only need it once a year. I hope it’s not an issue that my mailing address is fenton which is in Genesee County but I live 1/4 mile in to Livingston county.

Tom the county of Charleston has the same ban as does the city of Charleston The local archeologists are scared to death that some one with a metal detector might find a civil war relic and not report the find to them. Yes South Carolina does require that relics be reported as to where it was found. A local guy found three slave tags and put them on E-Bay and the arkies went thru the roof. Since they have the ear of the local politicians the metal detecting on any property belonging to the County and or the City was put into effect. Have I ever detected on a Charleston City Park??? I will leave that up to you to guess. LOL

.... Yes South Carolina does require that relics be reported as to where it was found. ....

Are you saying the entire state of S. Carolina ? Or are you talking about just the singular Charleston county ?

If you are talking about the entire state, then: A quick look down the md'ing forum's show & tell sections, you will frequently see S.C. hunters showing off their bragging rights finds. Right ? Ok, do you think all of them were found on private land ? Or do you think that (gasp) some of them might have come from parks, schools, beaches, forests, etc.... ?

I don't doubt that purist archies "get their panties in a wad" at the thought of md'rs. (therefore, the less they think of us, the better, haha) . Thus sure, we should avoid purist archies, and avoid obvious historic sensitive monuments. But if you meant that .... effectively .... all public land in S.C. is a no-no, then .... I'd find that hard to swallow.

(BTW, I detected in a few Greenville S.C. parks, back in about 1982. During a stay there for awhile when I had just gotten out of high school. I recall finding some wheaties and a merc. I am now racked with guilt. Where can I send my ill-gotten gains ? haha)

Yes the State says that you have to report your artifact finds. No one wants them but the arkies want to know where and what was found. 99.9 percent of those of us who detect ignore or do not know about that requirement. No one in government seem too worried about whether we report or not. One also has to have a permit to dive to search for sharks teeth. Yes we have some STUPID Laws that got passed by our low IQ politicians.

Back
Top Bottom