Equinox 600 And??

ChrisnAmanda1

Elite Member
So Amanda and I will finally after a crazy year, have the money to upgrade machine's. Right now we have 3 entry -mid level machine's and we feel like its time to upgrade. I have my heart set on the Equinox 600. Amanda wants something different. What other machine's would you guys suggest? I want something for her that's in the same class as the nox but I'm not sure what other machine's can compare? Thanks guys!!

The at pro is a excellent machine but maybe noseheavy for her without a 5x8.
F19 is a great machine for coinand jewelry, can be set up for anything and is probably the lightest out there aside from a deus.
Racer 2 is also very nice and has a ton of features to tailor it.Very good machine.
I wouldn't get wrapped up too much in adjustable frequencies or even multi frequency for dirt hunting..Unless your beach hunting in salt water I don't think it matters.
Any 13 to 15 khz machine will serve her well.Weight, backlight, coil selection, wireless headphones etc, see what features she'd like in a machine and find that machine and you'll make her happy.Good luck

You might want to cost compare the 800 and 600. Usually $649 for 600 and $899 for 800. 800 comes with the bluetooth headphones and a bluetooth pod that coiled headphones can plug into. Some sites even include a digging tool or carry bag.That's probably at least $150-$200 worth of extras. The 800 also has the gold mode and you do live in Montana. You might want to do some prospecting sometime. Not trying to talk you into a higher priced unit but better to have and not need than to need and not have. I'm still learning my nox 800 but really like it so far.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

I guess I should add that Amanda and I are mostly looking for machine's that are capable of finding deep silver coins. Coinshooting in general. I see so many awesome finds from all tou nox guys and I'm sold. Just looking for another coin shooter so we can hit as many places we Can and not feel like our machine's left a bunch of targets there for someone else... what are your thoughts on the Mine Lab Safari? ?

ChrisnAmanda1 - I can give you what I experience detecting here in Montana. I am located south of Missoula and have checked Missoula and the Bitterroot Valley towns a lot, and I have detected a bit in Great Falls, Simms, Polson, Kalispell, Whitefish, and several parts of Eastern Montana.

My detecting buddies have respectively a Nox 600 and a Nox 800, while I use the AT Pro. For the areas that we detect, semi arid climate, coins not really deep unless a yard has had turf brought in or extra fill dirt added, our finds are pretty equal. Similar amount of silvers, rings, wheaties, Indian head pennies etc. The NOX machines seem to pick up deep nickels better than my AT Pro, though I still get Liberty Heads and Buffalo Nickels too. For some reason I seem to find more silver coins but only because I thankfully get my coil over them, as all three machines would not miss them.

I bought my AT Pro before the Equinox line came out, and am totally satisfied with my Pro for detecting here in Montana. BUT... if I was thinking of hunting in different areas of the USA, especially like the WA & OREGON west side of the state, where the soil can be butter and the rains frequent, I would definitely purchase an Equinox! When I visit relatives in the Seattle area and I go detecting, I am CERTAIN that my AT Pro does not have enough depth capability to get to the older coins, as soft soil, vegetation buildup, and tons of moisture have moved those coins beyond what I can detect. I don't care much for the AT Max, I don't like the audio tones on that machine, and while it is a bit deeper than my Pro, I see no need for the Max here in Montana.

If you want to upgrade to a detector that will work ANYWHERE in the USA and give you good finds, I would definitely recommend either of the Equinox models. For hunting around Montana, Idaho, Wyoming and similar climates, the AT Pro or the Nox models would serve you well!

Deus, ORX, Anfibio, Kruzer, and maybe the T2 or G2+? All except T2/G2+ have wireless and all seem to be solid performing machines. I have the Noc 600 and ORX and have an Anfibio on the way. I used the Makro Multi-kruzer and F19 (which is same as G2+).

Anfibio/Kruzer has a lot of coil choices and is in a good price range. The Anfibio and Kruzer are only ones that have option of using concentric coils of the detectors listed above.

Deus and ORX are super light, fast, and wireless and are multi frequency. ORX has deal with free wireless pinpointer right now which might be attractive.

From your past posts it sounds like you hunt coins and jewelry primarily. I think any of these would compliment the Nox 600 and get close on performance.

D

ChrisnAmanda1 - I can give you what I experience detecting here in Montana. I am located south of Missoula and have checked Missoula and the Bitterroot Valley towns a lot, and I have detected a bit in Great Falls, Simms, Polson, Kalispell, Whitefish, and several parts of Eastern Montana.

My detecting buddies have respectively a Nox 600 and a Nox 800, while I use the AT Pro. For the areas that we detect, semi arid climate, coins not really deep unless a yard has had turf brought in or extra fill dirt added, our finds are pretty equal. Similar amount of silvers, rings, wheaties, Indian head pennies etc. The NOX machines seem to pick up deep nickels better than my AT Pro, though I still get Liberty Heads and Buffalo Nickels too. For some reason I seem to find more silver coins but only because I thankfully get my coil over them, as all three machines would not miss them.

I bought my AT Pro before the Equinox line came out, and am totally satisfied with my Pro for detecting here in Montana. BUT... if I was thinking of hunting in different areas of the USA, especially like the WA & OREGON west side of the state, where the soil can be butter and the rains frequent, I would definitely purchase an Equinox! When I visit relatives in the Seattle area and I go detecting, I am CERTAIN that my AT Pro does not have enough depth capability to get to the older coins, as soft soil, vegetation buildup, and tons of moisture have moved those coins beyond what I can detect. I don't care much for the AT Max, I don't like the audio tones on that machine, and while it is a bit deeper than my Pro, I see no need for the Max here in Montana.

If you want to upgrade to a detector that will work ANYWHERE in the USA and give you good finds, I would definitely recommend either of the Equinox models. For hunting around Montana, Idaho, Wyoming and similar climates, the AT Pro or the Nox models would serve you well!

Thanl you for the response! Great info especially from someone from here. We hit Simms and the other towns surrounding it all the time. Primarily hunting for old coins. We have yet to pick up any silver coins out there in Simms tho, probably because you got there first LMAO! But in all seriousness, I do belive there's plenty of old coins out there I just feel like the machine's we have are missing a lot of them. Maybe I'll look into the AT Pro. It definitely has a reputation for being a solid machine and it helps having a bit of an insight from someone who uses it in the same area's I hunt at.

Thank you!

I guess I should add that Amanda and I are mostly looking for machine's that are capable of finding deep silver coins. Coinshooting in general. I see so many awesome finds from all tou nox guys and I'm sold. Just looking for another coin shooter so we can hit as many places we Can and not feel like our machine's left a bunch of targets there for someone else... what are your thoughts on the Mine Lab Safari? ?

Safari is deep.I assumed you wanted a multipurpose machine like the nox 600..If your after deep silver and coins in general get a safari or Etrac..Don’t get any better for deep old coins than fbs ...I had a few safaris,just as good as a Etrac in depth and same tones..But the Etrac has far superior Visual ID...But the kicker is,if it’s a deep coin your gonna dig it anyway right?
The fbs machines,Etrac,Explorer and safari actually have the best discrimination in the business,and the depth meter is never wrong.Combine that with hitting 8 to 9 inch coins with factory settings and the nicest audio going,you cannot go wrong..I’d get her the safari because it is lighter than the Etrac and explorer,and just as good..

ChrisnAmanda - I did not find any old coins in Simms either! Someone beat both of us to that town, though I did not check the football field, just a quick check at the city park and an old lodge hall. Perhaps we can meet up sometime and hunt together and you can see how the AT Pro does!

ChrisnAmanda - I did not find any old coins in Simms either! Someone beat both of us to that town, though I did not check the football field, just a quick check at the city park and an old lodge hall. Perhaps we can meet up sometime and hunt together and you can see how the AT Pro does!

That would be awesome! We hit the highschool, actually have a permission there but never hit the actual playing field. We kill it in clad when we go tho. Usually 9-10 bucks if you let it replenish. It would be great to see the pro before we decided to buy one! We have an F22 and Teknetics Delta 4000 now and do alright but we're ready to upgrade. Shoot a PM if you wanna go hit Simms!

Safari is deep.I assumed you wanted a multipurpose machine like the nox 600..If your after deep silver and coins in general get a safari or Etrac..Don’t get any better for deep old coins than fbs ...I had a few safaris,just as good as a Etrac in depth and same tones..But the Etrac has far superior Visual ID...But the kicker is,if it’s a deep coin your gonna dig it anyway right?
The fbs machines,Etrac,Explorer and safari actually have the best discrimination in the business,and the depth meter is never wrong.Combine that with hitting 8 to 9 inch coins with factory settings and the nicest audio going,you cannot go wrong..I’d get her the safari because it is lighter than the Etrac and explorer,and just as good..

I may very well look into a safari and an AT Pro and skip the nox. We're definitely more into jewelry and coins but the nox seems so well rounded. ..

The Nox is a well rounded machine, better than the AT Pro in some respects, but both do great in the Montana soil and climate. Will PM you when I get a chance to head up to the GTF area!

If you're genuinely looking at deep silver as your primary target, check out the Mine-Lab eTrac is probably one of the best. Ack.. Just looked at the price.

Well, frankly, you're probably better off getting another Equinox 600. The dual frequency will be hard to beat on the High Conductivity Silver.

If weight is an issue, the minelab series is pretty good for light weight control panels. If it's not, I can't speak enough about the AT Max, but again, the higher the frequency, the harder it is to "hit hard" on Silver. Low frequency machines hit the best on silver... If that's truly your target, I cannot recommend either the AT Pro or the AT Max. They're INCREDIBLY very versitile, but aren't the 'best' at anything.

My 2-cent piece, anyway...

Skippy

Take a serious look at the Multi Kruzer or the Multi Anfibio. They will perform side by side with the Nox. I’ve used them both & they will go deep. Great coil selection for either. Wireless headphones work great. If you hunt in heavy trash areas, use the 5 or 7” coil & they will pull the coins out of the trash. My buddy uses the Nox 800 & the Kruzer/Anfibio would perform side by side with him. I’ve switched over to the Deus due to age & needing a lighter detector.

Hi,
the Etrac, Safari and Explorer are much heavier than the detectors you already have. They each weigh over 4lbs.

Minelab-XTerra 705 or a Fisher F75 would be a good compliment for a Nox 600. They go plenty deep, have great features and are fairly well balanced. Several women that I detect with love the F75 for its detecting quality and comfort.

The F19 is a really good prospecting detector. To me it is just OK for coins and jewelry since it has very limited audio tones in discrimination mode. It has cool notching, tone breaks and iron volume control . Your F22 or Delta have better audio tone features.

The AT Pro is a good choice for an all weather/waterproof detector. It is pretty nose heavy unless you get one with the 5x8 coil which can lessen depth. I know some women that use one and like it. I also know some people who really don't like the audio tones on the AT series.

The Makro Racer 2 or Makro Kruzer/Multi Kruzer are great detectors. They are similar to the Fisher/Teknetics detectors in operation, features and comfort. They have lots of audio features that are adjustable. They would also compliment a Nox 600.

The XP Deus and the XP ORX are wonderful, lightweight detectors that can go deep with the larger coils. I would recommend the ORX with a 9" or 11" X35 coil.

The Fisher F44 is a very good detector and can go deep in the right soil conditions with the 11x7 coil or with a larger aftermarket coil. The same larger coils would work with your F22 or your Delta if it uses the screw on coil connector.

I own or have used all of these detectors so I am giving you opinions from my actual experience.

Jeff

Last edited:
Simple, get an 800 and a 600 Equinox. You can compare settings to see who does better and parts are interchangeable. You’d be able to share Coils and HP.

I have to say that while Etrac is great for coins, it doesn't have great recovery speed ESPECIALLY when using coin programs. It is also VERY heavy compared to an F22. In fact, so is a Garrett At Pro or Max.

If you are after deep silver I think the Anfibio might well turn out to be the new deep detector. Go watch Calabash Digger's video's on Anfibio with the 13" AF35 coil. He gets good ID's on 9" deep dimes. Not just a beep, but you see the screen ID'ing the dime. Not only that. . . he is swinging pretty fast. That is impressive to me. Keep in mind the Anfibio is heavier than the Equinox, but still not as heavy as the Etrac.

I think you should stick to getting the Equinox 600 and get something as light or lighter for your wife. Ergonomics make hunting more enjoyable and more sustainable. Things like wireless headphones, light weight, and smaller coil options to lessen weight even more will help. The Equinox 600 with a 6" coil is very light and still performs great for example.

Getting two Equinox 600's and getting the 6" and 15" coil could also make a lot of sense for versatility. Just remember you'll also want a few pairs of APTX LL Bluetooth headphones for the Equinox 600's which will be an extra $50-$75 per detector.

I am not saying the AT Pro or Safari won't perform well, but I just think you are limiting your self by getting older detectors without Iron audio, without wireless, and WITH the extra weight. I have owned both (technically and AT Max to AT Pro), but I still have my Equinox 600

-D

Before I bought my Equinox 600, I would say that my favorite detector was the Teknetics T2 SE with the 5" coil for hunting coins and jewelry in parks, schoolyards etc. It is very lightweight and the 5" coil is no slouch on TID and depth. Used ones can be had at a very reasonable price. If Teknetics could make that T2 a multi-frequency detector......
Goodluck with whatever you decide on.

Back
Top Bottom