Two firsts for me

CharlieT84

Elite Member
Out hunting a local park and found my first one dollar coin. 2008 P
Then the next day at the same park found my first half dollar.

Here is the total clad for the last three weeks. Also a bowl of pennies not shown.
Unfortunately I will be shut out of local parks until after labor day as they do not permit detecting from Memorial day until Labor day. HH

Attachments

• IMG_0693r.jpg
    IMG_0693r.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 502
  • IMG_0696r.jpg
    IMG_0696r.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 462
  • IMG_0697r.jpg
    IMG_0697r.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 498
  • IMG_0700r.jpg
    IMG_0700r.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 519
Nice work. I think I've only found three or four dollar coins and I just found my first half last month. Not easy to find!

Very nice. Congrats on the finds.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Congrats on your first dollar and half dollar coins, as well as the nice pile of clad! :woot:

Nice finds. Do they enforce that detecting ban? I have never heard of something like that.

At our county parks a permit is needed and on the permit it indicates detecting is allowed from the day after Labor day until the day before Memorial day, and then only from 8am til 10am. Ridiculous as working stiffs don't get much of an opportunity to pursue their hobby. I talked to a couple of park workers at one park and they were laid back and one could stretch the hours a little. then at a different county park I was confronted by the overall parks manager and it was a good thing i was hunting between 8 and 10 as he was quite mean and it was easy to tell he does not like detecting in the parks. He went so far as to threaten to take away a permit if one hunted outside of the hunt hours. He said he was going to talk to the other park's workers to straighten them out ie not allow any leeway on hours.

detecting is allowed from the day after Labor day until the day before Memorial day, and then only from 8am til 10am.

I know this was posted long time ago, but I live in Central New York and was searching posts on New York parks.

I'm aware of the Labor day to Memorial day restriction, but I never heard of hours from 8am til 10am. I mean c'mon man, that's only 2 hours!
Are you sure that's correct 8am til 10am, shouldn't it be 10PM? 10PM makes more sense.

James

I know this was posted long time ago, but I live in Central New York and was searching posts on New York parks.

I'm aware of the Labor day to Memorial day restriction, but I never heard of hours from 8am til 10am. I mean c'mon man, that's only 2 hours!
Are you sure that's correct 8am til 10am, shouldn't it be 10PM? 10PM makes more sense.

James

Hey James.... pretty silly but no mistake.... 8am to 10 am. Someone with a fulltime, normal 8am to 4:30 pm job has limited chance. The permit goes on to say it may be allowed at other times with park manager approval. For our county parks some have been ok about allowing other hours but some have been a joke. He gives you grief even in those 2 hours. Not once has he mentioned any reason; no damage from any detectorists and I can say from experience I do not see any damage from us. To make it worse in some parks the workers have been seen detecting between Memorial Day and Labor Day. :chaplin:

Attachments

• zzzr.jpg
    zzzr.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 190
Hey James.... pretty silly but no mistake.... 8am to 10 am.

That's not only silly, it's just plain ridiculous! I have no problem with a start time of 8:00AM as I get up around 5:00AM, but only 2 hours to hunt and that's it, WTH.

Just to clarify, are you talking about Federal Parks, NY State Parks, County Parks or City Parks.

And which Parks are you having a problem with rude employees?

Congrats on the first finds. :waytogo:

I have heard that NY has some pretty stringent laws on MD'ing.:saywhat:

It seems like we "the hobby" needs some sort of representation like other groups. I used to be into "Home-Brewing" beer, and until there was some serious backing and lobbing in congress, it was considered illegal in a lot of states. Now, it is legal in all 50 states. I don't know how or if that is possible, just thinking out loud! :thinking:

That's not only silly, it's just plain ridiculous! I have no problem with a start time of 8:00AM as I get up around 5:00AM, but only 2 hours to hunt and that's it, WTH.

Just to clarify, are you talking about Federal Parks, NY State Parks, County Parks or City Parks.

And which Parks are you having a problem with rude employees?

I am talking about County parks. Broome County to be specific. They have a permit that they issue that has the rules listed. The Park that has been the worst is Otsiningo Park. I didn't even try going there in the past 18 months. In the Park that I do go to the park workers let people leave trash pretty much anywhere, dirty diapers on the curb and parking lots, dogs run off leash and !!!! here and there, there are ruts in many places from the workers running the 4 wheel mules in soft areas; but hold a metal detector in your hand and they will challenge you. One instance a worker was telling me I couldn't detect even when I showed him my permit. I was lucky another one came over and told him that it was a permitted activity with a valid permit. The Guy had no clue as to what park rules were. AND I was way off in an empty large field with the closest other park goer about 150 yards away in the parking lot.
I did stop at the nearest State Park and talked to the Park Workers and found out a permit was needed $10 - and detecting was only allowed at the tiny beach area, again restrictions on times/days. I didn't feel it was worth it so I didn't pursue.

I am talking about County parks. . .
I did stop at the nearest State Park and talked to the Park Workers and found out a permit was needed $10 - and detecting was only allowed at the tiny beach area, again restrictions on times/days. I didn't feel it was worth it so I didn't pursue.

So are you telling me that the only parks you hunt at are County Parks?

Are you also telling me that State Parks require a separate, but similar permit?

Back
Top Bottom