cannonball?

combray

In April my 13 year old son received a metal detector for his birthday. Yesterday while detecting on our property in southeast Ohio near Athens he dug up a very heavy for its size sphere. It is magnetic and was found about four inches deep. It weighs 8 oz. and is 2 inches in diameter.

Attachments

• 20190525_183017_resized.jpg
    20190525_183017_resized.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 477
If you do a google image search for canister shot you will see hundreds of pictures of stuff that looks just like that. If it is canister shot that is a good find. Lots of people have different ways of cleaning it up and preserving it. The other thing it could be is a mill ball. I think someone here will be able to tell the difference.

Thank you for the reply.

My son is certainly having a lot of fun hunting. A great hobby for a kid who loves history and digging holes!

Using the "Half Shell Book" as a reference, I found one listed grape shot with a 2" diameter. The rest measure about 2.5" and up or 1.6" and under. Took a picture of the page for you to look at.

Attachments

• cani.jpg
    cani.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 341
Fascinating. Thank you for posting the page. Interesting that it says this type was not generally used in the field, but was used in garrisoned situations. I did find a newspaper article indicating Federal troops were in Athens, Ohio during Morgan's Raid to protect the city.

Where my son found it, is on our property, so we can continue to do more detecting in that area.

Good luck on finding more, keep us posted! If you're open to people coming to help, let me know :cool3:

Back
Top Bottom