Megalodon Teeth

We're usually in the 25' to 40' depth range depending on the river we're diving. Viz can be anywhere from 3' on a great day to absolutely zero. There's a lot of variables to viz too, but on average it's usually 10" -12" with a really good headlight. Since we're diving tidal rivers, current is always something you're going to contend with. I carry a rock hammer to help me hang on and pull myself along the bottom against the current. There's been a few times that I've absolutely had my tail kicked by some current though.

To add to what Dark wrote:

The Cooper meanders through what is basically a peat bog on its way to Charleston harbor. The river channel is a large U shape with the walls made up of the "peat" and the river bottom made of marl. The water erodes away the walls of the channel and dumps fossils into the river bed and they get washed down stream and settle in low areas along with rocks.

The low viz that Dark is referring to is due to tannin in the water caused by rotten plant matter. He's not exaggerating about the 10 - 12" visibility.

The currents can be very interesting. We used to try to dive at slack tide but that wasn't always possible. We used to weight ourselves a little heavy and get to the bottom as quick as possible. The quicker you're laying prone on the river bottom the better off you are. I used to carry a small crowbar to stab the marl bottom with to help pull myself along looking for that sweet spot.

When my bottom time was up I'd stand on the bottom leaning into the current, adjust my gear, listen for boat traffic (the stinkin jet skis were the most hazardous as they tended to ignore the dive flag) and jet to the surface as fast as possible blowing bubbles all the way. The boat captain spent the dive positioned up current watching our bubbles. When a diver broke the surface the boat would slide alongside and pick them up.

It's not your typical buddy diving. You can't keep up with a dive buddy in those conditions. Great fun but you need to be confident with your skills and your gear.

To add to what Dark wrote:

The Cooper meanders through what is basically a peat bog on its way to Charleston harbor. The river channel is a large U shape with the walls made up of the "peat" and the river bottom made of marl. The water erodes away the walls of the channel and dumps fossils into the river bed and they get washed down stream and settle in low areas along with rocks.

The low viz that Dark is referring to is due to tannin in the water caused by rotten plant matter. He's not exaggerating about the 10 - 12" visibility.

The currents can be very interesting. We used to try to dive at slack tide but that wasn't always possible. We used to weight ourselves a little heavy and get to the bottom as quick as possible. The quicker you're laying prone on the river bottom the better off you are. I used to carry a small crowbar to stab the marl bottom with to help pull myself along looking for that sweet spot.

When my bottom time was up I'd stand on the bottom leaning into the current, adjust my gear, listen for boat traffic (the stinkin jet skis were the most hazardous as they tended to ignore the dive flag) and jet to the surface as fast as possible blowing bubbles all the way. The boat captain spent the dive positioned up current watching our bubbles. When a diver broke the surface the boat would slide alongside and pick them up.

It's not your typical buddy diving. You can't keep up with a dive buddy in those conditions. Great fun but you need to be confident with your skills and your gear.

Excellent description NC Digger! You pretty much summed it up to a Tee. The only thing we do differently is the getting back to the boat part. Since we're diving out of our own boats, they're just anchored. You had better have a good idea of where you before you come up so you don't miss it. We run a tag line off the back as a one last chance,but if you miss that, you're just SOL. Your only options at that point are to swim to shore where the gators are, or just keep on going.

Man! Lookat that one in the lower corner! Thats a fresh drop! You water hunting salties better be careful! Megalodons are still out there! I seen this documentary on TV once! Right after a Bigfoot special!:laughing:

Boy...I've always wanted to go find a tooth like that...a guy could be really busy just hunting fossils on this Planet...Great pics and post there Dark!
Mud

Those are some excellent fossils. Very nice. I applaud you on finding them in the conditions you describe. I use to do underwater bridge inspections where I work and know what it's like working in near zero visibility with currents. Stay safe.

I can't wait to see some artifact photos!

I do have some artifacts, but nothing near like you might think, or like I would want. Some of my buddies that live closer to our spots and get to dive a lot more than me have some really impressive artifact collections that I'm totally jealous of. My collection is pretty puny compared to the fossils that I have and the number of dives that I've logged looking for stuff.

I was offered a beautiful tooth a couple of years ago, but knew nothing about them, I can't even remember what he wanted for it but it wasn't cheep. There is no chance of finding one of those where I live, I'm jealous of your collection.

One of the best posts ever...I would love to hold 1...Can u just imagine the BEAST of a creature those teeth came from...WOW man soooo Cool...

third time to this post. those teeth are awsome to say the least. bucket list just got bigger, got to find one.......... HH blev

Back
Top Bottom