In Memory --"elbie" Lyle Brooks

dixiedigger57

Elite Member
Lyle Brooks passed away with a heart attack memorial Day. elbie was a member of this forum, a friend i met here looking for a hunting partner. He was also a longtime friend of ChipK who now lives in Florida. Lyle was a genuinely great person and a pleasure to be around and hunt with. we both dealt with health issues but short hunts with him were a joy, treasure or not. the treasure was the camaraderie. He is survived by a wife and two married sons and two Grands and beloved pets.

i find it difficult to hunt now, just half halfheartedly swing a coil. with everything bad happening in the world, I know Lyle is in a better place. He was a devout Christian and leader in his church. he will be sadly sadly missed.

rest in peace.

I'm very sorry for your or "our" loss. Don't think I ever chatted with him. I'm sure Elbie would like you to go hunting and find some treasures. You will find another hunting buddy soon....

thanks guys. we lived in adjoining towns that kind of crossover, ie jobs living etc. i met him on the find a hunting buddy site here. ChipK was introduced by elbie to the hobby. he does well on here.

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss. There must be a beautiful beach or field that is continuously seeded with silver behind those pearly gates, and I bet elbie is enjoying it

Thanks Carey for posting this.

Lyle and I worked together for 15 years and became great friends. After I retired my wife and I traveled to Macon to visit Lyle and Linda. As we walked into their house one of the first things I saw were 3 metal detectors hanging on a wall.

When I got back home one of the first things I did was order my metal detectors and my addiction began. I hunted almost every day but Lyle had suffered a debilitating injury to his leg and his ability to detect was severely limited. And so he lived through Carey’s and my finds. I would often call him as I headed home after a day of swinging and gave him my daily report.

He always claimed since he got me started a percentage of my finds was his and I’d always tell him to wait patiently by his mailbox because it was coming.

Goodbye my friend. I miss you.

This is a picture of Lyle with Roscoe, a male Cardinal I rescued.

Attachments

• EA3A4DCC-C71E-4EA4-9F37-B9809963396D.jpeg
    EA3A4DCC-C71E-4EA4-9F37-B9809963396D.jpeg
    71.7 KB · Views: 178
Chip that's a great picture. shows what a peaceful man he was. we had two hunts at the school by him before this covid stuff. we found coins junk tokens from gas station. he had found that nice challenge coin them some kid lost we figure. it was fun. he had to set down some so we hydrated but we took it slow. short hunts . he enjoyed the hobby and you know he researched and read manuals and did things right.

with my wife and I having health issues, I understood Lyle and he understood me.

yes we will miss our friend. the mindset I am trying is go find something.. and think about ole Lyle would be happy for me.

we do need a hunt together once the world/nation settles down some.

Back
Top Bottom