Recent Dry/Wet Sand Questions

DirtyRob

Forum Supporter
Ok, I've been to the State Park twice since the major storm hit last weekend. I have been hitting the dry/wet sand. The first time the lake was still pushing 4 and 5 foot waves and I wasn't dressed for it. I had to settle for mostly dry areas. I did find some clad but no bling, real or fake. I notice two funnel areas and saw lots of rocks on the surface. I did find one coin sitting on the surface. Other than that I found about a buck in change and a token from when Minelab was here 2 years in a row with a seeded hunt.

So yesterday I head back and try again after the lake has calmed down. Only two to thee foot waves and I can get to the wet sand. This waterline had 5 to 6 foot of water on it during the storm-surge. I took pictures of one cut where close to 3 foot of sand was gone.

So here's the question to you professional beach hunters. After a storm like that, where a foot or two or more sand is moved away, where do the bling and coins go?

Yesterday I was hitting quarters a good 10 inches down or more with the CTX near the waterline. And in another area, I was hitting a dozen or so pennies in that same depth, except this was different sand. Very course with tiny rocks, not the sand you think of when going to the beach. Well below the water table, too. The hole would fill with water after I would scoop out a bunch.

By the way, this is Lake Michigan. This beach had 100,000 or more visitors since the adjoining National Park Beach was closed all year. This place should be loaded!

Hay Rod do you get dropped signals in the wet sand. I live on Oneida lake in upstate NY. Seems like I get more than usual in wet sand. I also use the CTX. As this has stopped me from water hunting. I do not seem to drop many signals in land hunting as in the sand.

Hay Rod do you get dropped signals in the wet sand. I live on Oneida lake in upstate NY. Seems like I get more than usual in wet sand. I also use the CTX. As this has stopped me from water hunting. I do not seem to drop many signals in land hunting as in the sand.

I slowly picked up on that I was swinging too fast. I slowed down and started getting some tones. I will say my CTX doesn't like the wet sand.

Any thoughts?

From what I can see. If you were hunting where I am, where your detector is sitting is too deep. I do better when it has a flatness at the cut. I even use my DFX with a small coil and stick it against the cut when it has a more 90 degree to it. Only tip I can give you is work a W pattern from the cut down towards the water. Then go back where the heavy stuff is. Not the can slaw a foot deep. I'm talking sinkers, lug nuts, tire weights, gold, silver, spark plugs, etc. White gold ring I posted a good while back was 10 feet from a sparkplug:lol:

CTX noise. Try cutting it on where the noise is with the coil sitting on the ground and let me know how she does. Only way I can clean the noise out of mine.

From what I can see. If you were hunting where I am, where your detector is sitting is too deep. I do better when it has a flatness at the cut. I even use my DFX with a small coil and stick it against the cut when it has a more 90 degree to it. Only tip I can give you is work a W pattern from the cut down towards the water. Then go back where the heavy stuff is. Not the can slaw a foot deep. I'm talking sinkers, lug nuts, tire weights, gold, silver, spark plugs, etc. White gold ring I posted a good while back was 10 feet from a sparkplug:lol:

CTX noise. Try cutting it on where the noise is with the coil sitting on the ground and let me know how she does. Only way I can clean the noise out of mine.

No noise but the screen is going wild. Lots of nothing audible. A chirp here and ther!

I just wanted to show how much sand was moved. That's a lot for Lake Michigan especially how far from the regular water line is.

No noise but the screen is going wild. Lots of nothing audible. A chirp here and ther!

Like I said. Cut it off. Leave the coil on the ground. Cut it on until the detecting screen comes on. Then start swinging. I'm thinking its black sand. I've already tried ground balance and noise cancel. It's only on certain parts of a beach. I got no idea what a CTX does in fresh water. It may or may not help you.

Like I said. Cut it off. Leave the coil on the ground. Cut it on until the detecting screen comes on. Then start swinging. I'm thinking its black sand. I've already tried ground balance and noise cancel. It's only on certain parts of a beach. I got no idea what a CTX does in fresh water. It may or may not help you.

There is some black sand that got stirred up!

Everything depends on if it is a replenished beach. From what I see in the photos it is replenished and then the good targets are way deep. If you are not getting targets then that is the proof. Replenished beaches can have 20 feet of sand pumped onto it. The targets that you want down there. Get a back hoe. :laughing:

They have a nice bulldozer they move sand with but not yet. I just wanted that picture for the guys that went to the Minelab hunt the last 2 years here at this beach.

Yesterday I was hitting quarters a good 10 inches down or more with the CTX near the waterline. And in another area, I was hitting a dozen or so pennies in that same depth, except this was different sand...

I'm not a metal detecting pro, but I've played one on television! :laughing:

Birds of a feather flock together! If you're digging dimes and pennies, you're digging lighter targets and likely will find foil and caps in the same area. Like Itsa said, stay in areas where you are digging the heavier stuff... quarters, nickels, and heavy trash; that's where the gold is... or so I'm told.

:whistle: nobody knows... the troubles I've seen :whistle:

R5

I'm still learning but when I see a cut like that at the beach I expect to find targets. However, if the cut was made more than a couple of days ago someone else may have gotten there first or the targets may have worked their way too deep. Walking around the wet sand below the cut may tell you a lot. If it is firm then the targets may still be in reach. If the wet sand is soft then you might be too late. The best time to hunt below a cut is the same day it is made.

Of all the gold and silver targets I have found below cuts, only a few have been found close to the cut. Most were found well away from the cut and usually near the bottoms of slopes and closer to the water than most of the coins. If you are finding lead fishing weights you are probably close to gold and silver if it's there. GL & HH!

After watching the Chicago boys hunting for 2 days I can give you an idea on where they hunted. Mark Shrinkman being one of the best there I believe was in the pack. Also from looking at his finds from yesterday and him digging 3 gold rings with tons of coins and treasure in 6 hours, I would say he hunted the same as he did Saturday and Sunday... the first 30 feet of the shore line. Even thought there was no cut I think the conditions were similar in most of the area. Check out the pictures and see if they will help on the next storm...these are sunday morning.. each beach they hunted the same... I was shallow in the water and finding targets...

Attachments

• OBN0347.jpg
    OBN0347.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 373
  • OBN0346.jpg
    OBN0346.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 386
  • OBN0345.jpg
    OBN0345.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 370
Just guessing here but...

3ft off the top of 8ft of sand is not going to work up on the towel line..

Like OBN said, it gets better where its wetter....

Run it wide open, and hunt really fast until you start picking up a lot of iron. The iron will tell you your getting close to the real bottom that holds the goods... Once you hear all the trash your in the spot, and its time to slow down and get to work....

If you find a target without hearing any iron or other junk in the same vicinity, that was a lucky target (fresher drop from last season or this one).. Not that you can't find anything good in those situations, its that your hunting with luck/chance and not science and skill....

I wish you were weren't so damn far away I would love to met up for a hunt..

Good luck!!

<*)))>{

More HUGE waves today. Another flood advisory for my area around to all of the Michigan shoreline.

Thanks for the tips. Most of the coins I found were within 10 feet of the waterline. Maybe most of them within 5 foot. Waves were crashing and I wasn't planning on getting too wet!

THANKS

That cut is insane and the waves in a freshwater lake are even crazier. We don't get waves like that on long island sound unless a massive storm comes through.

That cut is insane and the waves in a freshwater lake are even crazier. We don't get waves like that on long island sound unless a massive storm comes through.

This was more of a "storm surge". Lake Michigan runs north-south so you can imagine what 50+ mph winds straight out of the north will do to the southern shoreline.

And it's going on right now but not as bad.....but pretty close.

Rob work a W pattern or zigzag to locate the patches. Then throw down your grid pattern. The W pattern lets you cover the ground to search more area. You never know but the heavies could be a mile or two down from where you put in. I actually have to drive a long ways from my house just to hit sinkers right now. Everybody else quit hunting where I am. It's a ghost town. You may need to switch locations?

Back
Top Bottom