Finding rings

Was just a guess. But sounds like you would have found it if your coil was over it. I have a feeling you will be posting pictures of gold rings very soon!

Thanks for the encouragement. My wife is doubting me after coming back with no reply to her question, "Where is my gold????". One more time and I'll have to hit a jewelry store on the way home.
:roll:

I just took my detector out for the first time this last weekend and found a ring! Its not really all that cool but it is silver and I can say that I got very lucky! I still can't tell one sound from another coming from my detector. Question: how can I seperate the different sounds coming from my detector? Experience????

Jonathan
What detector are you using?

Thanks for the encouragement. My wife is doubting me after coming back with no reply to her question, "Where is my gold????". One more time and I'll have to hit a jewelry store on the way home.
:roll:

I've never taken a picture of the best ring I've found, Silver .925 with a garnet. I showed it to my girlfriend when I walked in the door, next time I saw it ,it was shined up all pretty and on her finger. I haven't got near it since.

The up side is she doesn't mind me spending so much time MD'ing but she also keeps asking where her gold ring is.

Rings: 7, Silver rings: 4, Gold rings: 0

Dirk... if you are not going into the water then dig everything...

If I was going to hunt the dry stuff I would grid the beach and hunt on the blanket line and around the life guard stands first...

if your detector is stable in the wet sand I would hunt the slope and look for areas of sand that have been washed out where only shells or gravel remain... also hunt where others don't like to in the rocks... near jetties and such.. I have found plenty of coins and gold rings off jetties... if you can hunt 2 hours before lowtide and 2 hours on the incoming tide on the wet sand... also at the top of the slope where mommies like to sit while their little children play in the shallows.. mom sticks her hands into the sand helps loosen the rings from their fingers and its pirates like me waiting to swoop in on that gold when they are home trying to explain to their partners where their rings were lost :lol:

I'm not going to get into water hunting on this thread because it sounds like from your post that you are using a VLF detector...

If you are not using a detector that is stable in the wet sand then a detector such as the Minelab Sovereign GT would be a great detector for these areas...

I have used most of the detectors mentioned in this thread and I prefer the GT as its deep and the iron mask is awesome...

Beach hunting is not about cherry picking... platinum rings fall into the junk range (foil) if you cherry pick you will only be leaving good stuff for other hunters who come after you..

Fir469 and Cfmct-PI and others with input- Both of you seem to be suggesting that working the water would yield better results than the dry sand. I think for most beaches you're probably correct, but the Nags Head area, where I mostly detect is a different beach than most. First, it's almost impossible to find the water calm enough to allow you to swing a metal detector without getting pummeled by waves. The same winds that brought the Wright brothers to the Outer Banks, to get the first plane off the ground, also usually keeps the surf pretty rough. Also, the OBX beaches both erode and rebuild more than most. The cottage that was 100ft away from the shoreline during the summer can literally be standing in the water after a hard winters storm. That having been said, I usually try to find washovers- areas where the waves have broken through the dunes and created a deeper channel than the surrounding beach, or cuts where the waves have eroded a cliff like structure in the beach. These areas always seem to produce plenty of coins and other metal objects, but perhaps coins are more often lost in dry sand vs rings? Would I be better off hunting as close to the waters edge as possible, where I may or may not be getting any signals, or hunting where I'm finding the most targets wether near the water or not? I always assumed that if I were in an area finding lead fish weights, coins, metal fishing lures and such, then I should be in a good location to pull a ring. Any thoughts?

Dirk... I'm not a dry sand hunter, too much trash for my tastes... If you can hunt the wet sand hunt that... a lot of times storms will throw jewelry that was lost in the water up on the slope or high tide mark.... I have been just as successful in the wet sand as the water...

Thanks. The next time I get the beach I'll try an afternoon of just hunting the wet stuff. I wish I lived closer to the beach so I could experiment a bit more.

Back
Top Bottom