Should I bury my silver hoard? $2200 worth

your best bet is a safety deposit box at the bank, that way the only thing ya gotta worry about not losing is the key.

Go for the SDB....you may not trust the government but i trust the government more then a trust anyone getting near my property, seeing me dig the hole, or have a bunch of varmints eat their way into my cache and eat cash, etc.

No thanks, id prefer to go back to the bank and explain i lost the key and pay for another then find my horde gone

A good quality water and fire proof lock box in the attic, securely bolted then weld or solder the nut on after using thread locker on the threads. Put your horde in a SDB and the economy collapses, the banks go belly up, you gonna get your silver back? I think not.....

Get a good safe (and add guns to the silver) :yes:

The fire boxes and document safes can be opened with a jelly donut...they are not for valuables, per se.

A safe can be easily resold if change your mind later...a SDB will cost money in perpetuity.

If you bury it, add the location to your will in a envelope marked 'only to be opened in case of my demise' or something to that effect....or not, so someone can find it one day in the future.

just my $0.000000000002

Here is a different twist. I know a guy that has one of those fake bookshelf passageways like in the old mystery ( who done it) movies. His guns and ammo and safe full of rare coins, cash and jewelry are all located in this 4 x 6 ft room. Only his wife, his brother, and I know about it. It is very cool. There are shelves and cubby holes from floor to ceiling. The safe is fire proof and anchored. I really like the set up and am going to build one for myself.

Here is a different twist. I know a guy that has one of those fake bookshelf passageways like in the old mystery ( who done it) movies. His guns and ammo and safe full of rare coins, cash and jewelry are all located in this 4 x 6 ft room. Only his wife, his brother, and I know about it. It is very cool. There are shelves and cubby holes from floor to ceiling. The safe is fire proof and anchored. I really like the set up and am going to build one for myself.

thats a great idea.......until the house burns down :shock:

thats a great idea.......until the house burns down :shock:

Hey DP, he has a heavy fireproof safe that looks like it could re enter the earths atmosphere and survive (no kidding), even the paper money is safe. If his house burned down, he would lose the (not so expensive guns) and his ammo would blow up, but he could walk up to a concrete slab that used to be his home, open his safe and the high dollar guns, cash, coins, and jewels will look fresh as paint. I thought I mentioned the "fireproof" safe in my initial reply:D.

I have thought about this actually

I've got a ton of silver and don't like that it's sitting inside my room totally exposed. I live out in the country and have been toying with the idea of just burying it somewhere where I could retrieve it later. What are your thoughts on this? Do any of you bury your gold or silver?

I figure if I bury it I'll forget about it and then come back later when I think about it and make ten times or more than what I paid for it.

Your thoughts would be appreciated. :)

I would recommend committing to memory the location of the cache AND I would scatter a LOT of nails/bottle caps in the vicinity to thwart people in our hobby that might come along. I would personally move on if I was finding a lot of junk...just a thought.

If you bury it, bury it deep. Then get a bunch of BB's for a BB gun and broadcast them all over the place. Anyone who comes along with a metal detector will have their machine going crazy. Any which way they swing their metal detector, it will be beeping like crazy. Eventually, they will get frustrated and leave...

I like the safe idea best. I would get an in the ground floor safe, and then have a place where you can remove flooring or pull back carpeting to get to it. Then I would deploy a decoy safe that you can lead a robber to if they had a gun to your head...

I would not have a safety deposit box. They cost money year after year and you don't have complete access to your box. Plus, if banks start failing or there is a run on the bank, you won't be able to recover your hoard.

Whoever said cash it in and buy a 2 year CD is crazy. Precious metal holds it value while the dollar continues to sink. I was buying Credit Suisse 5 gram gold ingot bars for $45 buck off eBay 10 years ago. Now they are going for $250-$300 on eBay. I wish I would have bought way more than I did. I was buying one a week for about 6 months. I also have a bunch of 1oz. American Silver Eagles and silver art bars. 10 years ago I was buying silver for under $10 an ounce, now it's close to $30 an ounce. I have my hoard hidden very well. Nobody would ever find it, not even my wife. Still, I am going to move everything to a floor safe...

My 2 Cents,
Buy a big glass aquarium and an extremely mean rattlesnake at least 6 ft. long, spread all your coins all over the bottem of the tank, insert agressive snake and put a large sign on top saying help yourself !!!
Coins protected and a great conversation piece !!!
Make a video of said and post it on here so we can see it !!!

I got a great spot in my backyard where you can bury it and I'll even keep an eye on it for you.

Back
Top Bottom