anyone identify this

del

Elite Member
found yesterday at an old cellar hole , civil war or just prior i'm thinking its one piece stamped brass or copper about three and a half inches long and just over two inches wide any help would be appreciated thanks

Attachments

• 100_0559 naval relic.jpg
    100_0559 naval relic.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 250
haven't a clue on that one del, what does the back look like ??? sweet find !!!

I was first thinking of a cap badge, but maybe it is actually some sort of belt plate. Shape hints to that direction. Acorn and oak leaves hint towards captain or higher officers, so maybe it is from a dress uniform?

Voriax

theres nothing on the back, heres the picture at first i thought it was a belt plate but now its not sure what it is

Attachments

• 100_0561 navy relic back.jpg
    100_0561 navy relic back.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 182
it almost looks like one of those types of buckles that has two pieces that interlock by twisting them together? are you sure it's only one piece and not two corroded together? :?:

Looks like a buckle from a Naval officer's dress uniform. Early to mid 1800's.

Very nice find. You may want to visit the town hall in the town where the cellar hole is. If you can find the name of the house's owner from that time frame, you might be surprised at the history behind that buckle.

Beefcake said:
it almost looks like one of those types of buckles that has two pieces that interlock by twisting them together? are you sure it's only one piece and not two corroded together? :?:

Exactly my thought, Beefcake... word-for-word! ;)
Someone in here posted about a year ago (can't remember who), posted that they had found both pieces, almost a field apart from each other.

I've looked at a few websites and that eagle/anchor design was used by the Navy around 1840.

I haven't found any buckles that ornate, however. That leads me to believe the buckle was used by an office of high rank, perhaps Captain or Admiral.

thanks for the replies and ideas , a few guys at the club meeting were thinking a hat or cap plate as well
i'll be hitting that site this weekend , hopefully other items will be discovered to help identify this piece .
Gil it was great to meet you at the meeting sorry i didn't get to say goodbye before you left . del

Here is a photo of a replica buckle from the Civil War Era. Same design in center.

Attachments

• buckle_eagle_spoon_navy.jpg
    buckle_eagle_spoon_navy.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 145
bearbqd said:
Whoa, Krom replied? I thought he had been abducted. Nice seeing ya there Krommee.

Hey Bear. Nice seein' you too, man.
Love the new avatar you picked. 'Zat your new machine you jus' got... customized? :lol:

Back
Top Bottom